Ford Quality Lags Behind Competition

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
CLICK HERE FOR FULL ARTICLE
Ford quality woes have dominated the headlines for a couple of years now, with plenty of data to suggest that The Blue Oval has struggled mightily in that department for some time. Aside from taking the “title” of being the most recalled manufacturer in 2022, FoMoCo has had its fair share of high-profile problems in terms of quality, prompting CEO Jim Farley to hire a new “czar” in that area, as well as place a major emphasis on making improvements to the company’s manufacturing processes and new vehicle launches. However, it will take some time for Ford's quality to improve, and in the meantime, the automaker didn’t fare terribly well in the newly-released 2023 J.D. Power U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS).

While its Detroit Big 3 counterparts enjoyed some strong results in the most recent version of this long-running study, Ford wound up ranking below the industry average and behind much of its competition with a score of 201 PP100, or problems reported per 100 vehicles. This year’s study polled 93,380 buyers and lessees of new 2023 model-year vehicles, asking them 223 questions centered around nine categories – infotainment; features, controls, and displays; exterior; driving assistance; interior; powertrain; seats; driving experience; and climate.

I'm very surprised to see Honda and Toyota right up there with Ford. I imagine the 11 point difference between Ford and Toyota/Honda is not statistically significant. It would be easy to spin this as "Ford has similar initial quality as Honda and Toyota"!

The original article is less biased compared to the Ford one in the OP: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2023-us-initial-quality-study-iqs Most of the article seems to focus on problems regarding the "bells and whistles" on new cars and not what I consider more important, the drive train, suspension, ride quality, paint, etc..

Last edited:
These J.D. Power Initial Quality Studies are complete bulldung IMO, and always have been. Just look at where they rank Dodge and Chrysler... same company, same products, same factories. I don't pay ANY attention to ANYTHING that they claim, and I give zero credibility to any advertiser referencing their bogus "awards" in their ads.
BTW, has anybody here ever answered a survey from them (or even seen one)?

These J.D. Power Initial Quality Studies are complete bulldung IMO, and always have been. Just look at where they rank Dodge and Chrysler... same company, same products, same factories. I don't pay ANY attention to ANYTHING that they claim, and I give zero credibility to any advertiser referencing their bogus "awards" in their ads.
BTW, has anybody here ever answered a survey from them (or even seen one)?

We keep getting hounded by JD Power to complete the survey for the 2022 Highlander.

Personally I would not even consider recall numbers since it may be more of an indication of the willingness of the manufacturer to initiate recalls. We all know that at least some manufacturers don't do recalls unless they are forced to. In so far as overall quality, yeah the dual clutch / stupid head design with the slit that promoted coolant leaks/ 4WD transfer cases that needed coolers have all been fixed.

I'm very surprised to see Honda and Toyota right up there with Ford. I imagine the 11 point difference between Ford and Toyota/Honda is not statistically significant. It would be easy to spin this as "Ford has similar initial quality as Honda and Toyota"!

The original article is less biased compared to the Ford one in the OP: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2023-us-initial-quality-study-iqs Most of the article seems to focus on problems regarding the "bells and whistles" on new cars and not what I consider more important, the drive train, suspension, ride quality, paint, etc...
I think most new cars have too many 'bells and whistles' so I'm not sure this article would matter in my buying decision. I've gotten surveys in the mail a month or two after buying a new car.....I'd rather they ask me about my 'ownership experience' 5 years down the road....maybe even 10 years.

After reading the original article it seems that 'infotainment systems' are a big problem. If there was an option to delete this complicated system and just have an AM/FM radio with CD player (and take several hundred off the sticker) I'd take it....but I'm a luddite in many ways.

Last edited:
You needed to wait a couple of days on this, the other Ford bashing thread isn't quite played out yet. :p
I know....there seems to be a lot of Ford haters on here. Except for the Corvette there is nothing GM makes that interests me.

Ford quality woes have dominated the headlines for a couple of years now, with plenty of data to suggest that The Blue Oval has struggled mightily in that department for some time. Aside from taking the “title” of being the most recalled manufacturer in 2022, FoMoCo has had its fair share of high-profile problems in terms of quality, prompting CEO Jim Farley to hire a new “czar” in that area, as well as place a major emphasis on making improvements to the company’s manufacturing processes and new vehicle launches. However, it will take some time for Ford's quality to improve, and in the meantime, the automaker didn’t fare terribly well in the newly-released 2023 J.D. Power U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS).

While its Detroit Big 3 counterparts enjoyed some strong results in the most recent version of this long-running study, Ford wound up ranking below the industry average and behind much of its competition with a score of 201 PP100, or problems reported per 100 vehicles. This year’s study polled 93,380 buyers and lessees of new 2023 model-year vehicles, asking them 223 questions centered around nine categories – infotainment; features, controls, and displays; exterior; driving assistance; interior; powertrain; seats; driving experience; and climate.
Had a 2022 Escape for a year, zero problems or regrets. Traded it two weeks ago for a more well equipped 2023. Too soon to really tell but again, zero problems and zero regrets. No quality issues to be found.

Personally I would not even consider recall numbers since it may be more of an indication of the willingness of the manufacturer to initiate recalls. We all know that at least some manufacturers don't do recalls unless they are forced to.
Nails it. The number of recalls isn't a true measure of the lack of quality. It is more of a measure of the manufacturer's willingness to correct major issues; and usually because the Gov forces them too because of safety concerns or because the vehicle didn't meet the required emissions standards.

Like every JD Power "survey" that I've ever looked at, this one lies!

You are the very first person that I have ever heard-of or known that has received a survey from them.

We've gotten several. But only when we bought a car brand new. J D Power doesn't your opinion about your car after you've had it for a while and found the flaws in it, only when it's BRAND NEW and everything still works and while you're still enamored with your purchase.

Everything that we get from JD Power, or that quotes them on anything, goes straight into the trash.

For me, 2020+ seems like playing craps and rolling those dice. From a 100k BMW to a bare-bones Toyota. Not to mention far too many vehicles look the same out there. Look at pick-up trucks; exterior styling has barely changed in decades for all of em! Nothing groundbreaking. Not very inspiring for us car peoplez! I've done well with the F150 since 2004 and love my 15 Lariat but I can understand the low ranking of Ford when it comes to other vehicles. Their cars are less than reliable IME.

I don't know with that, but my 2008 Ford Escape exceeds my expectations. Bought it used from Carmax in 2010. Usual basic maintenance is all I performed since ownership. I don't know about Ford's newer vehicles but I;'m contended with mine.

Ford likes to roll out new engines, transmissions, etc all at once. Takes time to iron out all the dependibilty issues. Japanese do a gradual, piece meal roll out. One thing at a time before the next

I know....there seems to be a lot of Ford haters on here. Except for the Corvette there is nothing GM makes that interests me.
It seems like many complaints are from owners or ex-owners. This is disappointing to me, because if I were to buy a pickup now, it would be an F-150. Luckily I have the trusty 2001 Tundra that deosn't miss a beat.

Back