Ford Quality Lags Behind Competition

Did anyone read the actual article.. toyota is below ford, the current darling mazda is even lower..

The top 3 are .....
DODGE
RAM
ALFA Romeo

Jeep was above average... :unsure: 🫣:LOL:

That just means its not accurate or meaning what you think it means IMO.
RIP JD POWER.. is a more accurate headline.

This whole "survey" looks quite fishy based upon the relative rankings of the various brands.
I mean, the companies that invented statistical quality control are mid pack at best?
Come on!
For objective reliability and durability data, there's always CR and the larger fleet operators and fleet card issuers have very good real-world results data, although that data isn't publicly available and I've never seen any such thing leaked out anywhere.
I can tell you that our fleet vehicles at work are part of a large managed fleet program and we get no data beyond anecdote.

Last edited:
My 2 Fords have been totally reliable with 70Kish miles on each....both even have the OE brakes which is unusual for me and they seem to take the terrible NY roads better than my Toyota and Hyundai and maybe even my old 2002 Buick...Sadly, Ford (and GM) have become SUV companies for the most part. Ireally don't understand why Ford killed off the Fusion and GM killed off the Cruze (after finally working out the bugs. Some people still want a car so now they go Korean, Japanese or VW.

Except for Nissan. Puts CVT in everything!
No doubt that some CVTs are spot on though... mine has been for 10 yrs/103k miles now and still performs like the 1st day off the lot. If a car is driven/maintained with a bit of common sense/respect for all things mechanical I have no doubt a CVT will last as long as the car is intended to. The only transmission I can honestly laugh/complain about with any car I've driven is whatever turd was in the Fiestas a handful of years ago. Some type of really pathetic automatic as a family member had one and the glitchy shifting was annoying to say the least. She got rid of it in favor of an Ecosport and has been totally happy with that.

These J.D. Power Initial Quality Studies are complete bulldung IMO, and always have been. Just look at where they rank Dodge and Chrysler... same company, same products, same factories. I don't pay ANY attention to ANYTHING that they claim, and I give zero credibility to any advertiser referencing their bogus "awards" in their ads.
BTW, has anybody here ever answered a survey from them (or even seen one)?
And Jeep - love my Wrangler and since my fluid change and dealer TCM update the 850RE is smooth - However I'm renting a trail rated Cherokee right now - Well, it has nice mechanical and interior features - but the transmission is a slushclunkymess ...

Personally I would not even consider recall numbers since it may be more of an indication of the willingness of the manufacturer to initiate recalls. We all know that at least some manufacturers don't do recalls unless they are forced to. In so far as overall quality, yeah the dual clutch / stupid head design with the slit that promoted coolant leaks/ 4WD transfer cases that needed coolers have all been fixed.
What you wrote is what Ford and Ram buyers say, to make themselves feel better for buying low-quality products. A recall is a LEGAL TERM and LEGAL ACTION, so car companies just don't do them unless they MUST be fixed. In other words, you can correspond/tie the number of recalls to quality.

I think Ford has been hit or miss the last little while, like any manufacturer. We purchased a 2019 RAM 1500 DT that was a true lemon. Everyone raves about them, but we had all sorts of issues. I think it's like that with most manufactured items. Sometimes you get a crappy one.
This seems to be the case across all the brands. I'm fortunate to have a pretty large circle of friends and a large family (27 first cousins), so many different brands of vehicles to sample from and share experiences. It seems that the more manufacturers focus on tech features the less they care about things like door panel fitment. I have a friend with a newer Audi Q5. The sunroof rattles like mad. Who cares about the tech if your new SUV rattles like a 1990s school bus.

What you wrote is what Ford and Ram buyers say, to make themselves feel better for buying low-quality products. A recall is a LEGAL TERM and LEGAL ACTION, so car companies just don't do them unless they MUST be fixed. In other words, you can correspond/tie the number of recalls to quality.
Recalls are also usually done when a problem is a safety concern and impacts a large number of vehicles. The manufacturer weighs the cost between fixing parts under a recall and lawsuits from deaths or injuries.

I wouldnt put much stock in IQS considering that my wife's Hyundai Tucson was supposedly one of the best and its had an array of issues, is on its 2nd engine and is at the dealership right now awaiting a new turbo.
Having said that, we are awaiting her Hyundai hitting 100K and trading it in on a new Bronco when its out of warranty. Considering that even the Japanese manufacturers have dropped in quality and you could get a lemon no matter what you buy, I say buy what you like, enjoy it and dont worry about it.

I'm not a Ford fanboy by any means but I think another consideration is that although some brands may be "more reliable" that doesn't mean the others are "unreliable". That being said, it is still disappointing that a great American icon and 100+ year old company doesn't manage to consistently be higher up the list.

No doubt that some CVTs are spot on though... mine has been for 10 yrs/103k miles now and still performs like the 1st day off the lot. If a car is driven/maintained with a bit of common sense/respect for all things mechanical I have no doubt a CVT will last as long as the car is intended to.
Even if I somehow thought that Nissan CVT's magically became reliable after a certain year the fake shift points would still annoy me.

So after Mulally "fixed" Boeing and then "fixed" Ford, are we saying that he didn't deserve the Person of the Year award back in 2006?

And Jeep - love my Wrangler and since my fluid change and dealer TCM update the 850RE is smooth - However I'm renting a trail rated Cherokee right now - Well, it has nice mechanical and interior features - but the transmission is a slushclunkymess ...
I've owned Jeeps since I learned to drive, and my family has had a bunch of them over the years. Nothing they make really inspires me that much. A manual Wrangler *maybe*, but even then the way I want it spec'd it would probably be 75k-80k which is way too much for a Wrangler with the 3.6L. The 392 is cool but again the dealer markup here is crazy on them, and if I'm spending that money I'd want a luxury SUV like an X5M.

My dad is on his second WK2 platform Grand Cherokee, and his have been pretty good, but they have both been Trailhawks with the skid plates, offroad stuff, and the 5.7L V8.

Now it seems they either sell junky cheap crossovers (Compass, Renegade) or luxury vehicles like the Wagoneer/Grand Cherokee. Jeep's bread and butter was the glory days with the 4.0L where you could get a reasonably priced decently built SUV like a Grand Cherokee Laredo or XJ Cherokee Sport. I remember two of my cousins bought 2.5L TJ Wranglers brand new while they were in college since they were affordable and fun. I don't think any college kids could afford even a base model Wrangler these days. Check too many boxes on the Gladiator spec sheet and you are on your way to F250 super duty money.

As consumers / victims (ha-ha, but not really) we should be aware of the fact that we have no voice on what they tend to make except sales. However, we can only select from what they offer.

People should screech and scream for basic cars. The industry will say, "Oh no. People opt for more options, so that's what we build".

They install infotainavigation screens to compete with each other and they do it too fast. I can't imagine anyone going into a dealership and asking for an unproven array of delicate electronics which are incapable of withstanding moisture, heat and vibrations.

These fora are likely the best tool smarter shoppers (ahem) like us have.

In addition to the expensive car show junk we're forced to buy today, they can keep their sunroofs, alloy wheels and dead cow seats.

Don't get me wrong. If you want to spend your moo-lah on a posh car, have at it.

What's irksome is that "they've" decided for us to increase the prices and margins.
Isn't it the case that dealerships run out of the basic models first?

EXAMPLE: A retired teacher asked me to sell her Camry (2006?). It had the 4 cyl., no sunroof, no alloys and cloth seats.
When I reminded a prospective buyer of this, she said, "That's why I'm calling you from 300 miles away".

See, that proves my point (ha-ha)

Back