J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

wemay

Site Donor 2023
It's good to see that they also recognize manufacturers that have improved...

• Biggest problem solvers: The top three brands with the greatest improvement in the number of problems are Ram (77 PP100 improvement), Volvo (41 PP100 improvement) and Nissan (35 PP100 improvement).

1703801058085.png

The 2023 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 30,062 original owners of 2020 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded from August through November 2022.

To learn more about the U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study, visit https://www.jdpower.com/business/automotive/us-vehicle-dependability-study.

Last edited:
Problem symptoms are evaluated in nine vehicle system categories:

Exterior
Seats
The Driving Experience
Climate
Features/Controls/Displays
Interior
Infotainment
Powertrain
Driving Assistance
to add some context

Nissan and Mazda have been stepping up a bit lately in reliability. Even Nissan/Jatco CVT's seem to be doing pretty well now when actually maintained

Not just JDP, but CR as well. Maybe they're more reliable than the average forum wants you to believe.
I took a gamble and bought a 23 sportage. At 5k miles I already have HVAC electrical problems/anomalies that the dealer wants "1 week to 3 months" to look at because they are so backed up.

I doubt Kia is more reliable than most of those brands in this listing.

I took a gamble and bought a 23 sportage. At 5k miles I already have HVAC electrical problems/anomalies that the dealer wants "1 week to 3 months" to look at because they are so backed up.

Kia is backed up with warranty/recall engine repairs, they are fixing their problems and they did have a pretty long stretch with good reliability until these engine issues hit.

I've owned HK products for 15 yrs. One (2.0T) having over 240k mi with zero issues. They've been the most reliable vehicles we've owned. Our experience mirrors JDP's list to the tee. Sorry your experience has been different.

I've owned HK products for 15 yrs. One (2.0T) having over 240k mi with zero issues. They've been the most reliable vehicles we've owned. Our experience mirrors JDP's list to the tee. Sorry your experience has been different.
With any consumer survey, we have various biases in play. I take this as part of picture rather then the whole picture. Even toyota and lexus have some stinkers with their model line.

Would like to see internal industry metrics of say how many warranty claims per 100 units, or part failures etc.

Exactly. It's not objective data.
Even if it was objective - it's horribly incomplete and all over the map with some manufacturers getting good turnout and others little.

I took one look at the amount of data they wanted me to fill out for something like 5 bucks and I mailed it back to them - the 5 bucks, not the work.

Back