At 2k installed syn, now at 20k. ok to use conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask this because does it matter what oil you really put in your engine. The syn that I have been using since 2k has been group3 so is it ok to go back and forth between dino and g3?
Will this create bad effects to the engine?
I ask this because I want to know if my engine will continue to see a benefit or am I just wasting my time?
Thanks Rick

Switch between any oil you can find on a store shelf (maybe hold off
on the Wolfshead SA Grade CRAAP). I have switched between so may oils, synthetic and dino over many different cars, that a problem would have reared it's ugly head. Switch with no worry In my Opinion.

ok forget about all the specifics about oil.
What makes syn so special? My manual states 8k oil changes is this ok with any regular conveltional oil. Why is it that I have been thinking that Ive been taking better care of my engine by using synthetic oil?
I know this may sound like a stupid question but maybe I have just been sucked in my marketing.

Kinda reminds me of this one time with my moms car.
I had borrowed it for a weekend or something, and I bought a bottle of Techron to put in the gas tank.
I told her about it and she got this really serious look in her face and tone in her voice.
She said "Garrett Shawn, why did you do that?"
I said, "Because it helps clean out your fuel system and injectors."
"But I can't afford to keep putting that stuff in my car everytime I get gas!!"

Like she thought her car was now addicted or something!!!!
pat.gif

Post #487 from member # 938.....

Yes you can switch between oils.

If your manual calls for 8K oil changes, synthetic oil has been a wise choice. Which group 3 oil have you been using? What kind of car?

Funny how this question comes up all the time with guys who frequent the forum.
I think most people ask questions they already know the answer to. They just want reassurance...

If you've been running a Grp III you have been running a 'conventional' oil
grin.gif

Even if you'd been running the most expensive or exotic true synthetic you could switch back and forth between any other quality approved oil.

Oil Change Intervals may change, suitability at extreme temperatures or for severe operation may vary...but that's about it.

Since the manual states 8k oil changes. Will dino actually darken the engine with continued 8k intervals or should I change it every 5k?

Ask yourself how long you will be keeping this car. If you are only going to keep it for 100,000 miles or less, I would use whatever dino oil thats on sale at wallyworld. If you plan to keep it longer than i would use synthetic and do UOA's to see how far you can stretch your OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back