As Bad as Walmart is,

Another thing that I don’t buy at Walmart is automotive batteries. I’ve had bad experience buying their Everstart Maxx batteries. Now, these were the JCI made batteries.
I've bought the JCI EMaxx batteries from them for years, never a problem with the product itself, typically get about 5 years, 6 if I push it... BUT, their website is still screwed up and there is a high % chance that if you buy it online, it will add the core charge to the tax instead of separately, so there is no way to take the old battery to them to get the core refund back. They say they can't process it in their system, have to call 1-800-walmart to get the credit, then do whatever you want with the old battery.

A little cheaper than the auto parts stores. Walmart is now pricing their Super Tech Advanced Full Synthetic right up there with other name brand synthetics. It’s not the deal that it once was.
I couldn’t resist the price on the Quaker State Euro 5W40. It will be going in the F-150 for the next change. I will continue to buy my oil online for the most part.
The 5000 mile is I think $18.87 or something like that and Quaker State whatever the regular one is is $19.99. I actually ended up getting one of each so that I have some oil going forward.. these were $13 and $14 a few months ago.

Not really interested in their 10000 mile or 20000 mile oils, maybe there was a time but now they just seem redundant and priced in between probably the best oil they carry which is probably Mobil 1 and their Quaker State.. I check the oil section out several times a week, just to see how full it is and what they have.

Honestly didnt even notice if they still have the Royal Purple or got rid of it. It may still be there. People must be buying it.

My local Walmarts are almost always out of Quaker State, and I can't tell if it's that it's so popular that those green jugs just fly off the shelves, or if it sells so poorly that they barely even feel the need to restock it.

My local Walmarts are almost always out of Quaker State, and I can't tell if it's that it's so popular that those green jugs just fly off the shelves, or if it sells so poorly that they barely even feel the need to restock it.
My local Walmart was well stocked with Quaker State in several varieties. Plenty of Super Tech too.
The Chevron Havoline 6qt. Boxes were very low.

It's either WalMart or Amazon for me. Shopping here is geared for the tourist's. Auto part stores are ridiculously expensive. We used to have a Kmart, Penny's, Best Buy and Sears stores but they dried up and went away.

Walmart has a specific purpose in my life, not because I hate Walmart, but because the shopping experience (other shoppers) is so often terrible, that I spend as little time in there as possible. So, they are my oil supplier and that's about it. Amazon is slowly creeping into the unacceptable range as far as shipping times go, and prices are varying wildly, so it's quicker and easier for me to just drive down the street and get my oil at Wally. So thank you, Walmart, for the great prices on motor oil, but until you're shopping experience improves, which will never happen, I get my groceries and daily items elsewhere.

Walmart has a specific purpose in my life, not because I hate Walmart, but because the shopping experience (other shoppers) is so often terrible, that I spend as little time in there as possible. So, they are my oil supplier and that's about it. Amazon is slowly creeping into the unacceptable range as far as shipping times go, and prices are varying wildly, so it's quicker and easier for me to just drive down the street and get my oil at Wally. So thank you, Walmart, for the great prices on motor oil, but until you're shopping experience improves, which will never happen, I get my groceries and daily items elsewhere.
Yep, same here. I only to to the Great Wall to get oil and maybe a few other things that I can't find anywhere else.

I've been in some nice Walmart stores. The shelves were neatly stocked and the employees were helpful. Unfortunately, this was in a different state and in a rural location. Most Walmart stores near where I live seem to always be struggling with the finer details. It's the feeling that they are always struggling to keep-up. Perhaps it's just the crowds of people that seem to wreck the store, I don't know... I go there specifically for my oil and some other things...but that's it.

The last time I was in the oil-isle, it was very disturbing. It was dirty and appeared like there was some type of last-min oil "run", barely any supply on the shelves. It felt like an abandoned warehouse.

The Quaker State is a good oil, but the Supertech "Advanced" is a better oil designed to compete with the likes Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I would have to do more testing, but the ST "Advanced" is really good and at $26 for 5 quarts its a deal when compared with PUP, Amsoil or Redline.

I buy my oil and filters at Walmart, it’s the lowest prices I can find (although usually Amazon is right there with them), and it’s quick and easy. Amazon just recently had a one month wait for my arrival of Mobil1 EP, so I cancelled the order and went back to Walmart, where I easily/quickly picked it off the shelf.

But I HATE shopping at Walmart, or most places nowadays. Especially Home Depot. There’s no one working the registers anymore, the lines get very long at self checkout. And Walmart, for some reason, can just be a total ZOO where I am. The people can be the rudest at a Walmart. If you want a carriage colonoscopy?? Go to Walmart. You want to talk politics? Go to a Walmart - they’ll be someone in the aisle next to you holding court with whomever innocently walks by. Do you want to play a game of hide and seek? Go to Walmart, because they rearrange sections of their stores monthly around every holiday display. The other day I went in to buy salt for my water softener...god knows where the salt went. It was replaced with Christmas trees. I walked around for ten minutes trying to find it, couldn’t. Lines were out the door. No one around to assist with anything (and I expected that). So I left. I have (in the past) left my carriage right in the middle of the store, when looking at lines backed up halfway to the back of the store. I can’t stand it there, but don’t get me going on Home Depot. That place has no one operating a register anymore, but they will have 2-3 teenagers standing right there, playing on their phones as you struggle to scan a piece of plywood.

Last edited:
My local Walmart was well stocked with Quaker State in several varieties. Plenty of Super Tech too.
The Chevron Havoline 6qt. Boxes were very low.
Weird. At our Walmart there is always plenty of Mobil 1, Pennzoil, and Quaker State, but Valvoline, Castrol, and Super Tech are always out.

...the employees were helpful.

Wait.... What was that like? Someone in that store actually made eye contact and spoke your language? They didn't run from you when they saw you coming? You didn't have to get 8 inches from them and say "excuse me" to get them to stop pretending that they're straightening shelves and acknowledge your presence?

You must have been at the new Walmart they just built on 7th street, on Mars.

I can still remember watching OSU football games on the local PBS station (WBGU - Bowling Green) and how they weren't (re-)broadcast until the following day, so they showed them at 12:01am ! Must have been some licensing agreement between whoever carried the game live (probably a local Columbus station only) and PBS. Daughter attends there currently as well.
Kentucky is beautiful

Can't resist perusing the Auto dept at Walmart whenever I visit to check-out prices. Pleased to see the return finally of the Platinum series AGM car batteries at a great price, including the large H8 size. Don't need one yet (touch wood) but will save me significant $$$ if available when needed.

I buy my oil and filters at Walmart, it’s the lowest prices I can find (although usually Amazon is right there with them), and it’s quick and easy. Amazon just recently had a one month wait for my arrival of Mobil1 EP, so I cancelled the order and went back to Walmart, where I easily/quickly picked it off the shelf.

But I HATE shopping at Walmart, or most places nowadays. Especially Home Depot. There’s no one working the registers anymore, the lines get very long at self checkout. And Walmart, for some reason, can just be a total ZOO where I am. The people can be the rudest at a Walmart. If you want a carriage colonoscopy?? Go to Walmart. You want to talk politics? Go to a Walmart - they’ll be someone in the aisle next to you holding court with whomever innocently walks by. Do you want to play a game of hide and seek? Go to Walmart, because they rearrange sections of their stores monthly around every holiday display. The other day I went in to buy salt for my water softener...god knows where the salt went. It was replaced with Christmas trees. I walked around for ten minutes trying to find it, couldn’t. Lines were out the door. No one around to assist with anything (and I expected that). So I left. I have (in the past) left my carriage right in the middle of the store, when looking at lines backed up halfway to the back of the store. I can’t stand it there, but don’t get me going on Home Depot. That place has no one operating a register anymore, but they will have 2-3 teenagers standing right there, playing on their phones as you struggle to scan a piece of plywood.
I know this thread is predominantly about Walmart, but.... I agree with you on the Home Depot problem. I "have" to get supplies there for one of my clients and I absolutely hate going in that store. They are constantly moving stock around and purposely separating items so that one must walk the entire store to find them. 90% of the employees that are there to assist are stuck in the front of the store where they are either pointing you towards the self-checkout, or they are clueless as to where items are. Once in a great while, I find a helpful "older" employee that KNOWS what they are doing... but mostly, it's just warm bodies floating around moving inventory.

I grew-up next to an Ace Hardware and there's no comparison. Granted, two different stores... but... the level of knowledge between the two is amazing.

Walmart? Don't get me started... Do we really need to explain why many of us dislike the Walmart experience?

Wait.... What was that like? Someone in that store actually made eye contact and spoke your language? They didn't run from you when they saw you coming? You didn't have to get 8 inches from them and say "excuse me" to get them to stop pretending that they're straightening shelves and acknowledge your presence?

You must have been at the new Walmart they just built on 7th street, on Mars.
Once in a great while.... there's that "one" employee! But yes, most of the time.... it's a cluster-$#%$# to go through that store.

Back