As Bad as Walmart is,

besides offering decently-priced, name-brand, motor oil, walmart is (once again, post-flu panic) selling cci minimag 22lr ammo for $10.97/100.

It depends on the local Walmart. This one close to me in Baltimore sucks hugely (oil wise specifically).

I love all the posts about this and that at Walmart...People love to complain byt keep going back.. I have not had any issues at Walmart... I go in get what I need and get out....Here in Louisville we have a largr Ford Truck Plant near a Walmart...and a UAW Local Hall...They always say by Union....yet they are there in volume every day at Walmart to shop....I guess it is do as I say not as I do...and to add a Krogers is actually nearer to them and is a union shop yet they go to Walmart....Why??? Prices are lower period...

Last edited:
I don't like shopping there (the Walmarts near me are kind-of trashed-out most of the time), and unless one is willing to pay higher prices for their goods, Walmart is kind of a necessary evil in many areas (particularly rural areas).
Since the pandemic (and subsequent employee shortage) it appears that the Walmarts around here are filling their isles with pallets of stock that need to be put on shelves and bussing-in dozens of stockers in intervals to empty the pallets and stock the shelves in one fell swoop. I have seen this myself a couple of times. Anyone else notice this?
Walmart now has many workers who are not assigned to a particular store (especially in major metro areas). These workers receive via an electronic badge application on their phone where they are needed and are expected to travel to a store within an assigned geography. Some are stock people, some are CSMs, and or managers. Labor is the most costly operating component of their business and they are using this methodology to try to keep labor use allocated on a store by store need and fashion.

I love all the posts about this and that at Walmart...People love to complain byt keep going back..
The world is full of hypocrites. "Do as I say, not as I do" !!

Pennzoil Euro is that cheap at the auto parts stores?
Pretty sure he's referring to Pennzoil price at Walmart. I can't say I've seen any 5-quart oil at auto parts stores under $30 unless it's on sale or it's the store brand and even then, the store brand is in the high-20s. I have been buying O'Reilly Syntec for (2) of our cars and it's always around $30, sometimes with the oil filter bundle offer.

I love all the posts about this and that at Walmart...People love to complain byt keep going back.. I have not had any issues at Walmart... I go in get what I need and get out....Here in Louisville we have a largr Ford Truck Plant near a Walmart...and a UAW Local Hall...They always say by Union....yet they are there in volume every day at Walmart to shop....I guess it is do as I say not as I do...and to add a Krogers is actually nearer to them and is a union shop yet they go to Walmart....Why??? Prices are lower period...
Yep, just like all the people that complain about stuff getting outsourced to China, but refuse to put their money where their mouth is and go out of their way to buy something produced domestically or at least in the first world.

Up here, Canadian Tire tends to have better prices on automotive stuff than Walmart anyway, so it's pretty easy to avoid WM if that was the only reason you'd be going there. Think last time I was in a Walmart was when we were working in Dallas and we needed ammo to go to the range. Think that was like 2012 or 2013?

Also, some say they pay terrible.
That goes back to the misleading stories of how workers at WM qualify for gov't benefits. Well first off, WM pays above minimum wage so if that were the case, places that only pay minimum wage would be in the same situation, but they're not big, bad, evil Walmart. Second, if a single-parent with (2) kids works part-time at almost any retailer, you can about be sure that they qualify for benefits. I know my example is a specific example, but that's all the media needs to use as well.

I actually know a manager of a vision center at a Walmart and she made over $100k last year (salary, bonus, overtime). She told me "assistant" managers base pay is over $60k plus bonuses.

Meijer >>> Walmart
Outside of Xichigan, Ohio, and Indiana, not many people will know what a "Meijer" is. We like Meijer but it's not convenient for us. I would drive past (2) Krogers to get to Meijer and I drive past Walmart twice a day. Our son prefers Meijer but it's closer to him too.

Also, some say they pay terrible. I have 2 grandsons that work for them, and they are both moving up the corporate ladder quite nicely, and making what I think is good money. Good workers can do well.
Ironically, last time I checked, they paid better than Target..... I just had that argument with a Target-loving, Walmart-hating virtuous relative. They were surprised when I showed them the facts.

That goes back to the misleading stories of how workers at WM qualify for gov't benefits. Well first off, WM pays above minimum wage so if that were the case, places that only pay minimum wage would be in the same situation, but they're not big, bad, evil Walmart. Second, if a single-parent with (2) kids works part-time at almost any retailer, you can about be sure that they qualify for benefits. I know my example is a specific example, but that's all the media needs to use as well.

I actually know a manager of a vision center at a Walmart and she made over $100k last year (salary, bonus, overtime). She told me "assistant" managers base pay is over $60k plus bonuses.

Outside of Xichigan, Ohio, and Indiana, not many people will know what a "Meijer" is. We like Meijer but it's not convenient for us. I would drive past (2) Krogers to get to Meijer and I drive past Walmart twice a day. Our son prefers Meijer but it's closer to him too.
We have Meijers here in Louisville and while it is a good store ...Walmart prices are better overall...

Walmart is remodeling some stores to add online shipping capability. They are taking the outdoor dept under roof areas to make shipping wharehouses. I'm in rural WV and recently ordered 2 jugs of Mobil 1. Got them the next day....free shipping. I don't get anything next day here.
I got to talking to a union construction superviser from Chicago who was finishing the project. He told me they were trying to keep pace with Amazon. Interesting thing is they used union construction crews in Va. which is a right to work state.

lol, I don't know if anyone recalls my last couple adventures in merely buying a battery there, but I could write a few pages now for my recent adventure which is Not Yet Over.

Condensed version:

1) Buy tires on website, receive Thank You For Order email and that's the only one.

2) No tracking available, but eventually tires show delivered to store on order details on their website. I schedule installation online.

3) Arrive at store, they state they don't see installation appointment but they check and see the tires in the back so can squeeze me in.

4) I leave the vehicle and go home, then get a phone call that they only have 2 of the 4 tires. Have to go back and pick up vehicle without tires put on.

5) A few days pass. I call to see if tires arrived since no other way to track them. Walmart automotive won't answer their phone. When I was there previously, they were not swamped or anything, just nobody available to answer the phone, not their job apparently?

6) Keep calling automotive, nobody answers. Finally decided not to ask for automotive, instead called primary store phone # and told them half my internet order didn't arrive. Got forwarded to different department who was finally able to find a tracking # for the order and it turns out, somehow within a shipment of 4 tires, 2 got split up after put in FedEx hands and went across the country before coming back this direction, but that's not what the website showed which was (implied, all) order delivered. All 4 tires were on the same order.

7) Once the other 2 tires arrive, still no way to schedule installation by calling them, nor by website feature which apparently doesn't work anyway. I'll have to drive across town again for the 3rd time just to see if they can fit me in.

8) There's more but to reach a conclusion, from now on I'll either buy tires they have in stock at the store for immediate installation and wait there, or have an online order delivered to me then I take the tires in myself, or just buy elsewhere.

Last edited:
@Dave9 I had a similar thing happen through Wally 4-5yrs ago. My 4 tires showed shipped / arrived at my walmart location. They don't schedule appts at this location. It's first come, first served. At least that's the way it was then.

When I went to have the tires installed, only 2 of them from my order could be found. After a bunch of waiting around they decided to grab 2 more off of someone else's order to get the job done. No idea what happened when the other guy came to get his, but I bet I was part of that domino effect to begin with.

From then on I always ship to my home and deal with the installation elsewhere.

When I recently bought a set of 4 tires on line at Walmart, I was going to have them mounted, Mounted only since I balance my own, at a local shop which I thought was cheaper. But when I picked up the tires, which came promptly on time, I was told that basic mount, no balance, was totally free. So mount them they did, and they did a good job too.

I've never had any issues at Walmart. Again, I only go there for oil and everything but food, but that is only because Kroger is right by my house. You can't beat their oil prices...going to an auto parts store to pay more just seems ridiculous regardless of how you feel about the place.

Back