Walmart didnt ship the latest QS Euro 5W-40

So I ordered QS Euro 5W-40 from Walmart for my F150 Ecoboost because of the API SP rating, however, what I got was the older QSUD Euro 5W-40 which is API SN Plus

49E0D0D1-4CBD-484B-B738-165B77C49942.jpeg

BAD2D20F-70F4-4687-B89E-D6B7E7128DC5.jpeg

The UPC code is the same as the newer stuff. Does anyone know if the oil is the same? And if not, should I just run it anyways?

Unfortunately, you're subject to what the order picker pulls when you don't pick up in store,

I concur that if it covers the cert or approval you need, it will be fine.

The (very minor) difference between SN Plus and SP is irrelevant when all of the Euro certs and approvals are more stringent anyway.

Unfortunately, you're subject to what the order picker pulls when you don't pick up in store,

I concur that if it covers the cert or approval you need, it will be fine.

The (very minor) difference between SN Plus and SP is irrelevant when all of the Euro certs and approvals are more stringent anyway.

It has not been available locally at all. Its even been hit or miss on the Walmart website which kinda surprises me that it would be the old stock. If they are selling out of it then where are the old bottles coming from :ROFLMAO:

But to you point, if the Euro certs are more stringent then is this just a case where the formulation is the same and they just relabeled the bottle to say SP?

Last edited:
It has not been available locally at all. Its even been hit or miss on the Walmart website which kinda surprises me that it would be the old stock. If they are selling out of it then where are the old bottles coming from :ROFLMAO:

But to you point, if the Euro certs are more stringent then is this just a case where the formulation is the same and they just relabeled the bottle to say SP?
Most likely. I would look for a date code on the jug. I've seen a lot of QSUD Euro on clearance so I don't think it was a big mover and got clearanced out like RGT.

If your date code is older than May 1st, 2020 then it could not have been approved under API SP as that was the launch date.

Most likely. I would look for a date code on the jug. I've seen a lot of QSUD Euro on clearance so I don't think it was a big mover and got clearanced out like RGT.

If your date code is older than May 1st, 2020 then it could not have been approved under API SP as that was the launch date.

Looks like April 2021.

Run it anyways. With the litany of certifications and approvals it meets, the difference in SN+ and SP is insignificant for your application.
what is the difference between sn+ and sp, I forgot

what is the difference between sn+ and sp, I forgot

I thought they had some additional testing around timing chain wear and LSPI in API SP, both of which are issue relevant to a 1st gen 3.5L Ecoboost like mine. Especially the timing chain wear.

My F150 is about to hit 100k miles in the next week or so and I have absolutely zero signs of chain wear at this point. I can cold start it after sitting for a week and don't get even a hint of rattle. I'd like to keep it that way.

Run it. Your eco will love it. Mine does. Also Loves Castrol 0w40, 5w40, Pennzoil Euro 5w30, Euro LX 0w30, etc...
As stated, the Euro approvals are far more stringent than SN+ or SP. The Porsche, MB and VW approvals are what I seek out.

Same think happened to me, I got ahold of them and they said they would correct the website. I guess not.

I thought they had some additional testing around timing chain wear and LSPI in API SP, both of which are issue relevant to a 1st gen 3.5L Ecoboost like mine. Especially the timing chain wear.

My F150 is about to hit 100k miles in the next week or so and I have absolutely zero signs of chain wear at this point. I can cold start it after sitting for a week and don't get even a hint of rattle. I'd like to keep it that way.
What does it mean when you get a cold start rattle?

Ah then I wouldn't have an issue running it.

I think the full SAPS Euro oils like QS Euro wouldn't qualify for SN Plus or SP anyway, but I am quickly exceeding my breadth of knowledge
There are a few 0W and 5W-40 Euro oils on Walmart's site showing API SP. PP Euro 0W and 5W-40 both do. And then allegedly this QS Euro is supposed to be.

That the chain is stretched and the chain tensioner is having trouble engaging the chain tight enough. It first starts as cold start rattle but eventually it gets to the point that the drivers side cams will throw codes because they cannot hit the timing that is desired since they are at the end of the chain.

Ford used a single, 20 mile long, timing chain to drive both cylinder banks in the 2011-2016 3.5L Ecoboost. Chain stretch is extremely common on these engines.

That the chain is stretched and the chain tensioner is having trouble engaging the chain tight enough.

Ford used a single, 20 mile long, timing chain to drive both cylinder banks in the 2011-2016 3.5L Ecoboost. Chain stretch is extremely common on these engines.
Got it. Reminds me of some other 20 mile long late 80s early 90s Mercedes engine chains.

There are a few 0W and 5W-40 Euro oils on Walmart's site showing API SP. PP Euro 0W and 5W-40 both do. And then allegedly this QS Euro is supposed to be.
This is what happens with large warehouses. First in first out, you just got some older stock from the warehouse. It happens.

Start rattle can be caused by several things. If the oil-filter has a bad anti-drain-back-valve, then the oil can drain down from the engine and when it is not running, and the engine and the engine will not have oil for a few seconds on start until the oil pump gets the oil back up into the engine.

Some engines have other things that can also cause that noise. If it has variable valves that use the oil as a hydraulic fluid, and there is an additional oil filter for that section ( usually those filters are small ) and that filter becomes clogged then you will get noise until enough oil gets past that filter. Some engines have small passageways and or filters in the variable valve actuator that can become clogged.

Talk to a mechanic who is familiar with your type of engine.

So just an update. I had also bought two one quart containers which were in a separate shipment and just showed up 5 minutes ago, and guess what:

538CFA33-A1C1-4DA8-9B6C-411D20F87D74.jpeg

ACFACEDE-675E-4491-97C9-B8C331066FF4.jpeg

API SP 😂

Nice.

There is little difference between SN Plus and SP. I've got about 10 jugs of that stuff and only one is SP, I don't care. Either is very highly spec'd and suitable for a GDI engine.

SN is another story, but I've not seen an SN jug floating around for quite a while. Menards still has PP Euro (this stuff's near twin) sitting on the shelf in SN last time I looked though.

Back