As Bad as Walmart is,

As bad as Walmart is, they sometimes have oil in stock and at a decent price.
I was in my local Walmart this morning picking up some sundries. Deodorant, shampoo and such.
I decided to check out the alleged bare shelves in the motor oil area. They weren’t bare however, shelf space dedicated to motor oil has decreased. They had some Castrol 5W40 Euro, Mobil 1 0W40 Euro, Valvoline 5W40 Euro, Pennzoil Euro L 5W30, and QuakerState 5W40 Euro.
The price for the Quaker State 5W40 Euro was very good so, I bought some.
5qt. Jug Quaker State 5W40 Euro = $21.48
1 qt. Bottle Quaker State 5W40 Euro = $5.38
Super Tech Advanced Full Synthetic is ridiculously over priced. Pritzker🤦‍♂️

Yeah, I don't go to my local one often but each time I do go, I swing through the oil section to see if they have the 12Qt boxes of M1 E0-40, I generally buy them when they have them as they only have them about 1/4 of the trips.

I am likely the odd one out. I don't hate Wal Mart. For the few years I lived in rural Pennsylvania, my erroneous dislike for Wal Mart turned into an appreciation. I could get a decent selection of quality oil at a no game playing price, every day. I found like prices for non-auto maintenance items also. And I found Wal Mart's food section to sell some nice specialty foods at a good price.

No Wal Mart hater here.

+2

We get gift cards at work, as a safety bonus. I keep picking the Walmart gift card, just because it's a nice useful card compared to some of the others. Nice being able to get free groceries and motor oil once in awhile!

I've also noticed the reduction in shelf space devoted to oil.... But that might be because they no longer carry all the different brands of non-synthetic that they used to. Regular Pennzoil yellow bottle? Regular Castrol GTX? Regular QS? I think they're online-only now.

I am likely the odd one out. I don't hate Wal Mart.
No hate here either. For groceries, my/our preference is Kroger but Walmart is second (for most items, but not all). For non-grocery stuff, Walmart is our go-to. The irony is when people talk about how "bad" Walmart is or the other customers, yet they still shop there.... 🤷‍♂️

I buy oil exclusively either at Walmart or Amazon. Walmart is literally about ten dollars cheaper per jug than the auto parts stores and has been for years. For that savings you're basically getting a Fram Ultra with your purchase for free.
A little cheaper than the auto parts stores. Walmart is now pricing their Super Tech Advanced Full Synthetic right up there with other name brand synthetics. It’s not the deal that it once was.
I couldn’t resist the price on the Quaker State Euro 5W40. It will be going in the F-150 for the next change. I will continue to buy my oil online for the most part.

A little cheaper than the auto parts stores. Walmart is now pricing their Super Tech Advanced Full Synthetic right up there with other name brand synthetics. It’s not the deal that it once was.
I couldn’t resist the price on the Quaker State Euro 5W40. I will continue to buy my oil online for the most part.
I don't understand how you can draw that conclusion unless the pricing varies by region. Are you in the US or Canada?

It's much the same at my regular wally. There's always some good finds in the oil isle. I noticed at my last visit that all the Supertech synthetics were Dexos1 Gen3. Even the ~$21/5qt jug stuff.

If you buy online, ship to home, it's Gen2.

I am likely the odd one out. I don't hate Wal Mart. For the few years I lived in rural Pennsylvania, my erroneous dislike for Wal Mart turned into an appreciation. I could get a decent selection of quality oil at a no game playing price, every day. I found like prices for non-auto maintenance items also. And I found Wal Mart's food section to sell some nice specialty foods at a good price.

No Wal Mart hater here.
I think most of the challenges that all of us have experienced with WM could be "local management related". I have been in other near to STL metro stores they seem to be better stocked / organized vs the ones near me.

I have no problem with Wally’s. They offer the same items at a lower price. In these times that is important. Their oil selection has been reduced but most of the major brands are still represented.

Also, Walmart doesn’t have a monopoly on a certain segment of shoppers. I find the same people shopping regardless of the store. I just pay no attention to them.

I don't like shopping there (the Walmarts near me are kind-of trashed-out most of the time), but unless one is willing to pay higher prices for their goods, Walmart is kind of a necessary evil in many areas (particularly rural areas).
Since the pandemic (and subsequent employee shortage) it appears that the Walmarts around here are filling their isles with pallets of stock that need to be put on shelves and bussing-in dozens of stockers in intervals to empty the pallets and stock the shelves in one fell swoop. I have seen this myself a couple of times. Anyone else notice this?

Personally have no great love for WalMart, but certainly no hate either. In our small (20000) town, if you don't want to shop what I call boutique shops, you are stuck with Wally World. Don't buy much groceries there, as there 2 other stores that are as good or better on food prices. But do buy most all oil and filters there. Always have a good selection. Well unless you are wanting a specific type, but for me I am flexible.
They are almost fully self check out now, only I think one full service check stand. But I have gotten to like that.

Back