API SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Well then..

What are the major differences we are going to see between SM and SN?

Unfortunately the biggest difference the average consumer is going to see will be higher prices most likely
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Doesn't the better technology in GF-5 oil justify the price increase ?

Not in my book.

Since we can get long engine life using yesterdays oils, today's SL/SM are proving to be even better why do I need to spend more if I'm not taking advantage of it?

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Well then..

What are the major differences we are going to see between SM and SN?

Supposedly?

spidernew02jm.jpg

In reality? It would depend on whether or not your car was looking for one of those benefits.

Well I'm always down for improved piston cleanliness, engine sludge protection, and definitely fuel economy. Sign me up.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
We are interested in current and future.....not history.

You have crossed the line here friend with your disrespectful manner. To be nasty to one of the members held in the highest respect is suicide here. Enjoy your self inflicted death.

Last edited:
Wow, fun thread.

Anyhow, my understanding of both GF-5 and API SN is that they're targeting the "next generation" of direct-injected, turbocharged engines, like Ford's EcoBoost. Although GF-4/SM oils are more than enough for port-injected, normally aspirated engines, they may not be up to snuff for the new technology. And companies like Ford don't want to spec high-price specialty oils for their everyday cars.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
That does not mean it is officially approved as a gf5 oil......it isnt.More hyped marketing.
Are you Shells official spokesperson????? Just because you worked there in some capacity it the past does not make you a final word in the current {or past} business practices of the company....

Nice trolling. Go back to the garage and rub the M1 bottle and see if the Group IV genie pops out.

Johnny's word is good as gold here. You hate SOPUS and love XOM, so be it. Without FACTS, your OPINION mean nothing.

Originally Posted By: znode

spidernew02jm.jpg

I hadn't seen this chart yet thanks for posting it. Looks like GF-5 is a pretty decent upgrade over GF-4. Prices will likely remain the same so it's a no cost win.

Over the last 15 years, in regard to the differences of American and European oil certifications, would you say they have consistently moved further apart from each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back