Anyone Cooking Up Mail Order Meals?

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Always preferred to just cook from scratch. Both my wife and I enjoy cooking and making healthy meals is extremely easy, and a whole lot less expensive than getting it shipped.

+1
Get creative with simple ingredients.

Invest in some nut and seed butters like tahini, olive oil, spices (fresh and dry).
Then blend away. Use these sauces liberally, knowing you have made it all from scratch and can make it again.
Usually most of those pre-packaged sauces are loaded with sodium and as a result are VERY addictive (that's how they keep you as a customer).

Looked at the Hello Fresh "cookbook" where they list nutritional data, and discovered the sodium content of these meals are fairly horrendous- The lion's share are > 1500mg per serving. From a health perspective, they're probably not much healthier than a lot of restaurant food, and I don't consider eating out healthy. That said, they do have many low sodium options, but I suspect that impacts taste a fair bit.

I enjoy cooking and can usually whip up something that tastes decent without ever touching the salt shaker. Having four kids at home makes a service like this completely unaffordable. The wife and I are pretty frugal, we eat good very inexpensively by buying stuff when it's on sale. My health insurance also gives me a savings card that saves 10-50% on healthy foods, and the list is endless. Pretty much any fresh produce, canned vegetables, any lean beef, chicken breast, etc.

A $14 meal is what you equate to a "nice restaurant" ? That's something like Applebee's pricing. Nothing wrong with Applebee's and similar but that's not what I call a nice restaurant.

I'm not one to add on a $6 appetizer, $8 cocktail, $3 soft drink, $8 dessert and $2 coffee to a $8 or $10 main course, so yes, I couldn't imagine spending more than $14. I go out to eat for the food, not the ambiance.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Always preferred to just cook from scratch. Both my wife and I enjoy cooking and making healthy meals is extremely easy, and a whole lot less expensive than getting it shipped.

It sounds like it IS cooking from scratch. It is just shipped to you instead of picked up.

Making healthy meals IS extremely easy. Making tasty healthy meals requires some learning and effort.

Getting a frozen meal in a box at 3 or 4 times grocery store prices isn't scratch-it's pure foolishness.
And making "tasty" healthy meals is easy (like grouper, fresh Gulf shrimp, grilled catfish). It may take "learning and effort" for some, but for most it's not hard at all.

Not everyone enjoys preparing meals, and "easy" is a relative thing. Some people would say changing your own oil or replacing brakes is tedious or boring and would rather pay others to do it, yet someone here always insists they can DIY it. Same with cooking. If you don't particularly enjoy it, why DIY meals when there are many alternatives.

Originally Posted by HangFire

It sounds like it IS cooking from scratch. It is just shipped to you instead of picked up.

Making healthy meals IS extremely easy. Making tasty healthy meals requires some learning and effort.

Getting a frozen meal in a box at 3 or 4 times grocery store prices isn't scratch-it's pure foolishness.
And making "tasty" healthy meals is easy (like grouper, fresh Gulf shrimp, grilled catfish). It may take "learning and effort" for some, but for most it's not hard at all.

Agreed it's life I don't understand how one can go on at a early adult stage without knowing how to feed themselves. Most healthy and inexpensive meals can be done in under 15 minuets.

Agree … I have a well equipped outdoor kitchen and my wife has a well equipped indoor kitchen.
Basically means I'm doing BBQ or boiling/frying seafood … and she's doing side dishes …
That system has been in effect since Y2K faded … LoL

Home cooked meals here all the way with ingredients we choose and buy. With internet and countless recipes available at fingertips it's quite easy to get cooking.
The ones we like make it to my wife's growing receipe book.
She is a much better cook than I am and can usually ascertain just by looking at ingredients if a receipe is worth trying.

But even I can whip up a breaded chicken breast, mashed potatoes and a veggie salad side in less than an hour from scratch for six, as an example.
Rice with green peas, corn and carrots, about 15 minutes and it will go well with many, many proteins. Make more than needed for dinner and you have a nice lunch for the next day.

Last edited:
Glad you guys are enjoying it together.

I knew it existed just not the details. If I lived further out from grocery store eg more then 15 mins I'd consider it. My wife I have a hard time with meals the 3 - 4 days she works managing 3 kids(one with special needs), sports/activities and working.

We ended up paying a decent young culinary student $80 week cash to buy the groceries, prep 3-4 meals in containers, cleanup in our kitchen.

We cook together the other nights from scratch.

Guys, guys... whoa for a sec. I can address a few concerns that've been expressed.

- It's not frozen food, as has been suggested. It's chilled, and the meats are shipped between two ice packs (massive versions of medical ice compresses they have that froze gel inside that thaws slower than water). Chilled, not currently frozen not previously frozen.

- $14.16 per meal/plate. That's equiv to low to mid price entree w/ sides at franchise type full service restaurant and NOT including drinks (restaurant money makers, drinks) OR tip. You do tip, right? As far as paying that or less at restaurants, are you stiffing your servers? Where we live, a franchise restaurant dinner for two with a couple ice teas or maybe beers, with tip, we're dropping $50 minimum if we order lower to mid entrees. Compare that to $28.32 for the two mail order entrees with side, and our own water, beer, wine, or tea. Roughly half the expense. Same or better quality meal, plus these ones are keto low carb.

- They are not low sodium, I agree on that. The sauces are organic as well so any sodium source is regular salt not preservatives or artificial flavor enhancers (msg etc). I would call ours, the way we cook them going easy on the sea salt-- mid sodium, not high not low.

- Just buy all the same ingredients at the grocery and find your own recipe online or with the Yumly app, or Fit Men Cook app, etc. Been there done that. Price works out very similar in the long run. This way, we don't have to think. We get to be lazy about it in the sense that all we do is log in and select the next week's meals to be sent, from menu of a variety of recipes/entrees, all guaranteed to be Certified Organic from the sauces to the meats and veg. Published calorie, carb content per menu item (I think, thought I saw where they have that online for each).

- Stouffer's or can be had for a few bucks on sale. Yep. Get what you pay for. That food's not good for you though, and it tastes like ... frozen microwave meals made in a food factory, and did the FDA (if US based) get around to inspecting that place recently? Hey, I lived by myself for six yrs until last November, I get it. I hit some Stouffer's and Swanson microwave meals during that time, oh yeah.

- Green Chef was including a free meals coupon to give to your friends and if they signed up you got a referral discount on your next order. Haven't seen those coupons lately, will double check and if they start that up again I'll post up about it 1st come 1st serve, might have been an online code you can punch in, can't remember.

I live in a rural area which is essentially a food desert with an abundance of fast food joints and a poorly stocked Walmart grocery area. These mail order plans have worked well in the past.

Sounds good but i cant stomach the cost. Id rather shop, cook, and then proceed to waste the money on cars i dont exactly need.

Love the "togetherness" angle of it but I bet, like anything else, the novelty would wear off and relationships would normalize.

I can see the benefit of having a variety of foods delivered to food-challenged regions. How much you want to pay is up to you.
We've a fridge and freezer and live in a food-Heaven so these services aren't for us.
Old friends got this service as a gift from their kids and while they enjoyed prepping the 10 or so meals, the cost is too high.

The packaging waste, given our situation, makes these things downright immoral. Sorry to be heavy about it but it is a factor.

When I work for a snobbish slave driver we got the perk at the year end for using this kind of meal prep kit company, back before they were cool. The food is not bad, they were kind of expensive and in our area, with the amount of good restaurants competing for business, they are kind of expensive (same price but you have to cook it). The selection is also not the best and we don't like a lot of the food (too much cheese, too much of some ingredients we don't like, etc). To be honest in the end we sort of break them down and "free play" our way with the ingredients and they turn out nothing like the original, so it is a waste to us. If we eat everything and in the portion like they gave us completely with no waste, it would be an ok deal.

Unfortunately we don't eat like that, so the answer is it is a waste to us.

I don't see this being much more packaging waste than a restaurant (you will not see them but they have a lot of waste), or grocery stores that can't sell everything.

I think these meals are more so for the Millennials today. They are always in a hurry and don't have time to cook from scratch.
My 34 year old Millennial son told me that most of his friends do this because they don't feel like cooking.

Back