Any filter brands still made in the USA?

I was SCM at the VIOC for years and our filters were made by champlabs and in the beginning of my career, there was metal and plates, Coil spring bypass valve, it was actually a halfway decent looking filter, but then they came out with the ecore design.. I had to quit using them in my vehicle, when they first came out, because I swear the check valve didn't even operate, I started my vehicle up and all it did was rattle.
Most companies do what they can to save money. It all comes down to the bottom dollar. Unfortunately..

I was SCM at the VIOC for years and our filters were made by champlabs and in the beginning of my career, there was metal and plates, Coil spring bypass valve, it was actually a halfway decent looking filter, but then they came out with the ecore design.. I had to quit using them in my vehicle, when they first came out, because I swear the check valve didn't even operate, I started my vehicle up and all it did was rattle.
Most companies do what they can to save money. It all comes down to the bottom dollar. Unfortunately..
I still see a LOT of VIOC filters made in China lately

They used to always be made in the USA. WOW!! Champlabs is farming everything out!!! They weren't the best. They were okay for a quick lube.. they had the metal end caps at least, and a coil spring bypass valve, what I remember the media looked okay as well..

They used to always be made in the USA. WOW!! Champlabs is farming everything out!!! They weren't the best. They were okay for a quick lube.. they had the metal end caps at least, and a coil spring bypass valve, what I remember the media looked okay as well..
Well, I saw the VIOC made in China filters far back as 2006 at my work. Very few fram made ones I ever saw. Dunno what happened

I have ac delco pf48e here that say made in America. Cut one open and pretty sub par quality btw. No metal end caps. Stamped steel springs. Rubber anti drainback. Plastic bypass that binds like crazy. Definitely doesn't open at any one pressure. And media was one of the lowest square footage of any filter ive cut open.

Last edited:
The TRD PTR43-00081 cartridge filter is made in the good old USA:

LC200OilFilterComparo2_19MA_zps91db2cfd.jpg

LC200OilFilterComparo7_19MA_zps88447c56.jpg

IMG_2816.JPG

Been using these exclusively in my 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser since new with no problems.

Much better construction than the Made in Thailand Toyota OEM filter:

LC200OilFilterComparo1_19MA_zps4c7c6fb8.jpg

HTH

How do you determine that one is better? More metal?

TRD "better" points vs. OEM:
- Full synthetic media vs. non-synthetic
- Internal metal support tube preventing collapse vs. no internal support
- Silicone O-Ring seals top and bottom to prevent by-pass vs. hard plastic end pieces
- Metal end caps for improved structural integrity vs. no end caps
- Viton O-Ring replacements vs. EPDM (?)
- Toyota sells both filters and says the TRD filter offers, "...superior protection."

And most important of all:

- It makes me feel better

HTH

Hastings I believe are USA made..
Hastings is no more per my local parts house. Baldwin is Parker’s focus.

Most Fram is American made, so are many Champ Labs - also under the Fram umbrella. I think Puro(including Motorcraft and Mopar) are also US-made too.

I doubt any one will see a difference with the micron ratings of an oil filter. Yes many will have read some thing some where. Read the million mile vehicle write up and THINK about this none have fancy oil filters.

The TRD PTR43-00081 cartridge filter is made in the good old USA:

View attachment 75278
View attachment 75279
View attachment 75280

Been using these exclusively in my 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser since new with no problems.

Much better construction than the Made in Thailand Toyota OEM filter:

View attachment 75281

HTH
I like those TRD filters, Champ Labs best, like RP. So then there are two center tubes because one is always on the filter mount. That's why the cartridge Toyota Denso filter has no center tube, it doesn't need one.
Another USA made is or was Champion by Federal Mogul. I always wanted to try those but they seem to be either not made or hard to get.

Last edited:
FRAM still makes it's high volume and Ultra oil filters in Greenville, Ohio (their only US plant left). Champ is still based in Albion, Illinois and makes many brands of oil, air & cabin air filters. Purolator-Wix-Mann has a couple US plants as well. Most air filters, cartridge oil/fuel filters and small engine stuff is made in China, Mexico & SKorea. I've settled on running Baldwin in all my equipment.

FRAM! Not sure about all of them. I know the tough guard and higher end filters are made in the USA.

Not only that,but FRAM had the stigma of being crappy.
Here is one exame of made in the USA is better.
FRAM , not to long ago, moved production back to USA for their filters for better quality control and craftsmanship.

I just bought oil and an oil filter at Walmart last night I got a FRAM TG3600.
Right here it is made in the USA!

Attachments

• 16367388740823179924559502332834.jpg
    16367388740823179924559502332834.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 20
FRAM! Not sure about all of them. I know the tough guard and higher end filters are made in the USA.

Not only that,but FRAM had the stigma of being crappy.
Here is one exame of made in the USA is better.
FRAM , not to long ago, moved production back to USA for their filters for better quality control and craftsmanship.

I just bought oil and an oil filter at Walmart last night I got a FRAM TG3600.
Right here it is made in the USA!
Best bang for your buck and usa made. People talk a lot of s—t about Fram but I’ve never had a failure or have seen any failures other than the occasional ultra cartridge. I’d rather pay 4 bucks for an extra guard with 95% efficiency than 11 bucks for a wix with the same specs

The TRD filter has narrower pleat depth than the Toyota, looking at these pictures. Now see why the TRD needs a second center tube while the Toyota uses the one on the filter mount or cap. As shown in this picture the center tube fits well against the media on the Denso cartridge filter. It’s sort of strange a filter system has two center tubes to go through.

1636744225319.jpeg

Best bang for your buck and usa made. People talk a lot of s—t about Fram but I’ve never had a failure or have seen any failures other than the occasional ultra cartridge. I’d rather pay 4 bucks for an extra guard with 95% efficiency than 11 bucks for a wix with the same specs

What are you talkin about with the occasional ultra cartridge? I also wonder why, Fram puts metal in caps on the extra guard and not on Fram Ultra guard..

Back