Anyone still like use wix mahnn filters now?

I realize this is an oil filter thread, but my Wix air filters formerly made in USA with many pleats and steel mesh backing now have no backing, fewer pleats, and cost more. Bait and switch. I don't want to reward behavior of corporate cost reduction while claiming its the same filter by using the same part number name and box. Its NOT the same filter. Whether they do this with oil filters we will see but I a guessing over time they may with the high volume stuff.

The reason these places buy up all these companies (Mann and First Brands) is to consolidate manufacturing thereby lowering cost. It may also reduce competition and lower prices.

Or it could long term end up being more competitive. If there are only 2 large suppliers they may end up fighting each other over price - most likely with branded product rather than their own name. Of course if there both making garbage by then who cares.

In the meantime I am looking for someone other than these two to use.

AC Delco for me. If they are good enough for a Z06 Corvette then they will work on my GMC pickup.
Well, one might argue that they're just good enough to help the engine last through warranty period.

I don't know, and I doubt anyone else on this site does either but there's two sides to that assumption.

The thing with all these anecdotal scenarios is everything's fine in the near future. It's 100k-200k down the road where the difference may or may not be made.

Well, one might argue that they're just good enough to help the engine last through warranty period.

I don't know, and I doubt anyone else on this site does either but there's two sides to that assumption.

The thing with all these anecdotal scenarios is everything's fine in the near future. It's 100k-200k down the road where the difference may or may not be made.
How would one really ever know? There are folks that always have their oil changed at the dealership using their particular car manufacturer’s filters (and bulk oil) and run them 100k-200k. I have known several. No problems. I guess we can always buy the best and most expensive of everything to ensure that we’ve done our part to ensure the scenarios such as a vehicle that last for ever, electronics that has the latest and greatest, paint, clothes, etc. etc. The reality of it is everything in today’s society has a life and it’s most likely dictated with advancements, styles, service availability, etc. and then that creates obsolescence. Again my opinion but after 10 years and 150k I’m moving on to a replacement. Yes maybe an engine has lasted using the best filters money can buy but what have you done regarding the assurance that all the other systems and components are upgraded for a lifetime? Just wondering….

How would one really ever know? There are folks that always have their oil changed at the dealership using their particular car manufacturer’s filters (and bulk oil) and run them 100k-200k. I have known several. No problems. I guess we can always buy the best and most expensive of everything to ensure that we’ve done our part to ensure the scenarios such as a vehicle that last for ever, electronics that has the latest and greatest, paint, clothes, etc. etc. The reality of it is everything in today’s society has a life and it’s most likely dictated with advancements, styles, service availability, etc. and then that creates obsolescence. Again my opinion but after 10 years and 150k I’m moving on to a replacement. Yes maybe an engine has lasted using the best filters money can buy but what have you done regarding the assurance that all the other systems and components are upgraded for a lifetime? Just wondering….
150K, almost about broken in :LOL:

Its probably self fulffiling. If you obcess about the oil and filter, you likely obscess about everything else too - so cause or affect?

There is a new thread on here for a 150K, few year old Tacoma with a bad cylinder. He did everything the dealer recommended including the 10K oil changes. Was it that or something else, who knows.

Its probably self fulffiling. If you obcess about the oil and filter, you likely obscess about everything else too - so cause or affect?

There is a new thread on here for a 150K, few year old Tacoma with a bad cylinder. He did everything the dealer recommended including the 10K oil changes. Was it that or something else, who knows.
I’ll go along with that up to a certain point when quality replacement parts are tough to find. Then you have an old car with questionable dependability. Not happening when I’m towing my center console 250 miles to fish….
Again that’s just me.

If the Taco isn't rusty, new (or good used) engine time! There's really no way to tell what went wrong without at least pulling the head, it could have been a freak accident, something getting into the combustion chamber, broken valve, etc. Best oil in the world doesn't protect from a bad piece of metal or just bad luck.

Mann or Mahle filter for my '91 940 Volvo. 300K+ miles (odo broken). Runs fine. Anectdoal as possible for sure.

oil filter.jpg

C’mon Mann! 🤪
There is another German company named MAN, they are a truck/bus builder in the VW Group(Traton) and they also own Navistar here.

If you’ve been in Europe for any length of time or in Seattle/SF in the 1980s, you’ve probably seen a MAN bus on the streets.

There is another German company named MAN, they are a truck/bus builder in the VW Group(Traton) and they also own Navistar here.

If you’ve been in Europe for any length of time or in Seattle/SF in the 1980s, you’ve probably seen a MAN bus on the streets.
I saw a lot of them when I was in Eastern Europe. I found them interesting because these had 2 sets of wheels in the front.

MAN and Navistar are now owned by Volkswagen.

I've used Wix/NAPA Gold for 30 years. Now thinking of trying Champ XL.
That's exactly what I did! After cutting open a newer Wix 51348 and it looking like a rebadged Purolator inside, I decided it wasn't worth paying the premium price.
I've got 2 Champ XL filters in service right now, and will probably use them as my go to filter. Can get them for $5-6 each through a local auto parts wholesaler.

That's exactly what I did! After cutting open a newer Wix 51348 and it looking like a rebadged Purolator inside, I decided it wasn't worth paying the premium price.
I've got 2 Champ XL filters in service right now, and will probably use them as my go to filter. Can get them for $5-6 each through a local auto parts wholesaler.
I Got 2 Champ filters pretty cheap for 2 Mercedes. I was skeptical about them but put one on my daughter’s with 250k on it. She ran it about 8-9k miles. When I changed it, it looked pretty good. I was impressed.

Back