Any difference between Bosch and supertech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless things have recently changed, I dont think bosch oil filters have silicone adbv's

*I just checked bosch's website, and it says there that theyre silicone. The ones i have always seen have been black, just like regular old nitrile ones. Unless they use black silicone adbv's
dunno.gif
anyone?

Originally posted by Winston:
Thanks for the tidbits of info FG. However, it really does not matter to anyone if there is a better filter that ST, since it doesn't really matter how "well" a filter works. No filter is worth more than $2.07 since an ST is "good enough"
wink.gif

Then why do people waste hundreds of dollars on bypass systems if a $2 ST is all the protection an engine will ever need?

Why buy a MP3 player when CD's will do?

Because someone always has to have something newer or better.

Ego..the best marketing tool companies use.

So you believe it is not worth an extra buck or two to filter out smaller particles? I used to use an ACdelco filter which costs about $4.00, for a $1.75 more I can get a Pureone which supposedly filters out significantly smaller particles from my oil.

To many its well worth it, to others its a waste of money. Both sides have enough evidence to make a convincing argument.

"why buy a MP3 player when CD's will do?"
-Because I didnt know a MP3 player would filter oil.

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
Unless things have recently changed, I dont think bosch oil filters have silicone adbv's

*I just checked bosch's website, and it says there that theyre silicone. The ones i have always seen have been black, just like regular old nitrile ones. Unless they use black silicone adbv's
dunno.gif
anyone?

Bosch has two different filters -- much like Purolator and Napa.... etc. The cheaper one has nitrile -- the Premium has Silicone.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:

quote:

dunno.gif
anyone?

Bosch has two different filters -- much like Purolator and Napa.... etc. The cheaper one has nitrile -- the Premium has Silicone.

Schwartr,

I was being sarcastic. There was a recent thread where someone authoritatively stated that no car needs a better filter than a supertech. ST filters good enough and any money spent on better filters was a waste. There are a lot of believers in ST filters. However, I dont think anyone really knows if it is "good enough". I for one, am willing to spend a bit more on something so crucial to my engine.

Sorry Winston I didnt pick up on the scarcasm there.

I got a reply from Champ Labs about the ST vs. Bosch premium filters:

"You are correct, Champion Laboratories does manufacture Wal Mart's Super Tech brand of filters, and until recently the Bosch Premium Filter.

The Super Tech filter is rated at 20 microns - a premium OE replacement filter.

Bosch Premium is rated at 15 microns - a high-efficiency OE replacement filter. Bosch acquired Purolator in April and has recently moved manufacturing of this product. Specifications may change.

Both are excellent quality filters. The Super Tech equivalent of Bosch #3331 is ST3387A."

Thanks,

Mike Boyer
Director Retail Sales & Marketing
Champion Laboratories, Inc.

I am very curious as to how Bosch acquiring Purolator will affect the Premium filters like Pureone or Bosch Premium. Will the efficiency become better or worse and will they charge us more for them?? I guess only time will tell.

quote:

Originally posted by schwartr88:
snip....

I am very curious as to how Bosch acquiring Purolator will affect the Premium filters like Pureone or Bosch Premium. Will the efficiency become better or worse and will they charge us more for them?? I guess only time will tell.

Aruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh! I have been happy to be picking up L 15436 cartridge elements for $3 or less with other brands including ST running 2-3 times as much. I am infuriated at having to pay a large premium for a filter with no can, no base plate, no bypass, and no ADBV.

This is the answer I got from ChampLabs.

William,

Both Super Tech and Mobil 1 filters have synthetic fiber in the media. The difference is the amount - Mobil 1 has a high synthetic fiber content, Super Tech is very low. Varying synthetic content in the media is one way to impact performance characteristics.

Mobil 1 filters are constructed with thicker steel components (you can feel the weight difference) - that withstands 9X normal system operating pressure. They also have silicone anti-drainback valves. These features improve performance - and increase cost.

Either filter will keep you engine protected if you follow recommended maintenance schedules.

Thank you for using filters manufactured by Champion!

Mike Boyer
Director Retail Sales & Marketing
Champion Laboratories, Inc.

Hello,

I noticed the box of the SuperTech oil filter that I bought at Walmart says.....

"Special synthetic fiber enhanced filter media is superior to leading brands in trapping micron sized contaminants and promoting engine life."

I thought only the Mobil 1 oil filters had the synthetic media ?? Whats the difference between a $2 SuperTech and the $12 Mobil 1 oil filter ??

Thanks for your help and info.

William

On Supertech, my wife and I were i Walmart and I happened to notice a few ST filters were in different colored box, blue I think.

We opened the boxes and compared the old ST, the new ST and the Fram. The new ST was definitely inferior, imo, with thinner metals and other differences clearly visible to the eye. Nothing about Champion on the box either. I don't know if this is a complete supplier change or just the supplier for some filters.

Just to be on the safe side for filter supplies I bought 4 of the old STs for my wife's Honda Odyssey and my son's Civic. $ 2.07 each is a pretty good deal for an adequate filter. Most times I use Wix from either Napa or Carquest.

I dont mind paying extra for a high efficiency filter like the Pureone or even bosch premium, however $10-13 for the M1 is getting too expensive for me. My main concern (as Ive said before) is whats going to happen to the pureone once bosch takes over.

quote:

Originally posted by SSQ:
10 dollars for the M1 is insane.....

The Mobil 1 filters at our local AZ went up to $11.99!!! Insane!

Geez, in my pre-BITOG days, I stocked up on M1 filters when our Kmart went out of business, they were $4/ea. !! And to think I used them all with M1 oil on scant 3k OCI
shocked.gif
lol.gif

I know, I know, I guess my little Chrysler engine was very pampered when it was new!

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:

quote:

dunno.gif
anyone?

My experience (at AZ) is that the OLDER Bosch's have nitrile adbv's and the more recent ones have red silicone adbv's. The older ones have the regular spring type (better) bypass and the newer ones have the (inferior) clicker type. So the question is--Would you prefer a better bypass valve or a better (silicone) adbv?

PS: The older ones have pretty much disappeared so the question is really a moot point anyway.

For 10k miles you will do well with things like Napa Gold.

ST have went cheap in material in some cases these days, Purolator is going away, Mobil1 is a ripoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back