Any difference between Bosch and supertech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if there were any real differences between the bosch premium filters and the supertech filters, the bosch's sell for about $5, is the media better? Both are champion.

The media used is totally different. From what I can find on the web, supertech is just a regular filter and can filter around 20-25+ um. The bosch premium can filter at around 15 um. However, from previous posts on this site the Purolator pureone is about the same price as the bosch and can filter to about 10 um.

There could be media differences. In defense of SuperTech, the box-blather does state synthetic-blend media, so, unless Champion Labs and WalMart stupidly engaged in fraud, some money beyond the cheapest media available went into engineering the SuperTechs. Filterguy would probably be in a position to comment with some authority.

"Combination synthetic glass and cellulose media formulated for top-rated efficiency (99% multi-pass) for the life of the filter." - From Frams website

Even Fram says they use synthetic media, and we all know the general feelings about fram. Anyways, according to the above statement the fram toughguard oil filter is the *KING* of all oil filters... it uses synthetic media and captures 99% of particles.

Like everyone els, they fail to mention what size the particles are. A chain link fence will capture 99.9% of all particles, but only if they are large enough to be captured.

My SuperTech box says....

"Special synthetic fiber enhanced filter media is superior to leading brands in trapping micron sized contaminants and promoting engine life."

How much 'synthetic fibers' added to the ST is probably VERY, VERY little if any.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
"How much 'synthetic fibers' added to the ST is probably VERY, VERY little." if any [bold emphasis mine for clarity]"

Actual evidence of exageration or fraud would certainly be welcome. But lacking such, you presume to spread FUD against Champion Labs through unsubstantiated innuendo.

[ June 06, 2006, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
My SuperTech box says....

"Special synthetic fiber enhanced filter media is superior to leading brands in trapping micron sized contaminants and promoting engine life."

How much 'synthetic fibers' added to the ST is probably VERY, VERY little if any.

Wrong..they initially used the media from the Luberfiner High Efficiency elements for Cat, Cummins, and Detroit rather than the "standard" media for those engines.

And it's improved since then..

I don't believe Filter guy's saying that. But their quality does rise above their nominal ~$2.00 selling price. For those who blindly equate low selling price as a universal constant guaranteeing low quality, rejoice! In these United States and the Canadian Federation, you have many higher priced alternatives from which to choose.

I can see how the cost of a Supertech oil filter can be so low: no advertising, no race cars, no endorsements, etc. I'm starting to wonder if this is really a $4 or $5 filter in disguise.

quote:

Originally posted by Buick92:
I can see how the cost of a Supertech oil filter can be so low: no advertising, no race cars, no endorsements, etc. I'm starting to wonder if this is really a $4 or $5 filter in disguise.

I second this opinion and have moved all 3 cars to ST filters because of this. I cut one open and found it to be a very well made filter and the E-Core center was stonger than the alloy metal that others use. For those who doubt the construction quality, I would recommend risking the $2 and open one up. You may just like what you see.

quote:

Originally posted by jeepman:
I second this opinion and have moved all 3 cars to ST filters because of this. I cut one open and found it to be a very well made filter and the E-Core center was stonger than the alloy metal that others use. For those who doubt the construction quality, I would recommend risking the $2 and open one up. You may just like what you see. [/QB]

I for one do not doubt the quality of the filter itself, I doubt its ability to filter, which is what a filter is designed to do. I just emailed champ labs and asked about the micron rating and percent of some of their filters. IF they respond we should have some better evidence that just because the ST box says "synthetic" (so does fram)does not mean its an uber particle sucking machine that will eliminate everything except lepton sized particles from your oil.

There are a few difference between Bosch and Supertech.

As mentioned the questionable difference of the filter elecment. The Bosch also comes with the clicker bypass valve which I don't know if it's a good thing or not. The ADBV of Bosch is silicon.

I have heard alot of people say the clicker bypass valve is not good. Why dont people like it? I dont know how effective/good one bypass is compared to another, but the clicker gets picked on quite alot.

IMOHO the clicker is elegant in its simplicity, tho I dont know how good it actually is.

quote:

Originally posted by schwartr88:
So the $2 ST is the same as a $12 M1 or other high priced high efficiency filter?

No, the Mobil 1 has better media than the ST.

So does the Bosch and STP.

I will remind people that there are multiple sheets of media that are XX micron.

So asking for what the filter is rated at isn't the whole story. Regardless of brand.

SuperTechs are the best danged $3.25 oil filters available for $2.07. Conversely, Frams are the best danged 75 cent oil filters available for $3.49!
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
SuperTechs are the best danged $3.25 oil filters available for $2.07. Conversely, Frams are the best danged 75 cent oil filters available for $3.49!
wink.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

quote:

No, the Mobil 1 has better media than the ST.

So does the Bosch and STP.

Thanks for the tidbits of info FG. However, it really does not matter to anyone if there is a better filter that ST, since it doesn't really matter how "well" a filter works. No filter is worth more than $2.07 since an ST is "good enough"
wink.gif

OTOH, who sells STP filters?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back