Any Consensus on Fram Oil Filters Here?

Hello all,

Couldn't really find an answer here (and wasn't quite sure how to search any further than I did), but has anyone here ever noticed anything resembling a consensus on Fram filter design quality, please? I recall reading (about 15 years ago) quite a bit on another Forum (Pick-up trucks), Fram's being built with a cardboard internal part, and many there didn't like that at all (and it sure didn't sound at all appealing to me either).

Not looking to start any fights/arguments here.

THX in advance....

Slick, I think you have unwittingly "stepped in it" ...
So I offer a joking and somewhat pointed retort to your quest, in jest. ;)

Hello all,

Couldn't really find an answer here
So, by posting a question yourself, you'll be able to find it? But if someone else posted the same question (about a thousand times by now at a bare minimum), you can't seem to find it?

(and wasn't quite sure how to search any further than I did),
So the search button in the upper right hand corner is elusive?

but has anyone here ever noticed anything resembling a consensus on Fram filter design quality, please?
The only consensus is that there's no consensus.

I recall reading (about 15 years ago) quite a bit on another Forum (Pick-up trucks), Fram's being built with a cardboard internal part, and many there didn't like that at all (and it sure didn't sound at all appealing to me either).
There is no cardboard. Some of their products have resin reinforced fiber caps. It's been that way for a long time. And, despite the implied heresy, we've not seen these "cardboard" endcaps come flying off and being ingested by the engines.

Not looking to start any fights/arguments here.
Too late ...

THX in advance....
You're welcome after the fact.

Last edited:
If you don't like fiber end caps (not actual "cardboard" like some misinformed refer to), and are interested in Fram then get the Ultra, Titanium or Endurance. The ones with fiber end caps work fine for what they are designed for.

Here's 10 pages of threads with "Fram" in the thread title .... using the search function (see image with blue arrow).
Use the advanced search, type the keyword(s), select the sub-forum (filters) and

VIOLA !!!

1699060805380.jpeg

It is inconceivable that you can't find what you want to know (and a whole lot more) in these pages.

Last edited:
Here’s the consensus: Fram makes (or markets) oil filters. No dissenters To that fact.

Well, OK, some wisecracks could argue some of their products don’t qualify as filters. But a device that “filters“ out 500 micron debris for the first 5 hours of its service life is still “a filter.”

On the other end of the spectrum, some people think their top of the line models are the very very best.

the good news / bad news is, the ”best“ filters might be better than 10-yr-old offerings, but have become quite expensive, as manufacturers have figured out how to make crap products, as well as great products. The marketers have figured out how to never ever again “give away” the good ones, and to provide crap for the prices we used to consider normal for quality products. I-n-f-l-a-t-i-o-n.

GreasyG, this was based on misinformation. The fiber end disc design used by Fram has a flawless track record of no tearing after a decade of oil filters cut open on this website vs. numerous brands using metal end caps have torn. A Fram engineer used to come on here and explain why the fiber end disc design was used. It's flexibility allows the media in extreme pressure to flex without tearing (two flexible surfaces connecting with each other flexing with each other vs. one flexible surfaces taking on the strain while connected to a non flexible surface). With all of this, Fram maintains it's high filtering efficiency and durability.

More food for thought is Honda uses the Fiber end disc Frams for one of their OEM filters. Toyota uses a filter from Denso that doesn't even have end caps or end discs.

The Fram design is fine (if not superior).

Sincerely,

Enthusiast (who was one of the biggest Fram haters a decade ago)

A Fram engineer used to come on here and explain why the fiber end disc design was used.
He wasn't an engineer, but involved in the training side of Fram. He had access to and contacts in the engineering department, and would contact them if people here asked for tecnical info that the engineering department could only answer.

Okay, I thought he said he was an engineer because when someone accused him of being in marketing he was quite offended by it. It's been a long time so I'm probably misremembering (or as some people who can't admit that they were wrong about something and want to claim alternative time lines say "A Mandela effect").

Every time I've used one the orange really clashes with the dark blue-green paint on my car. Given you can't normally see the oil filter, it still bothers me knowing some bird or squirrel might be judging me.

OEM filters often aren't much more expensive than a cheap filter. Why not just buy OEM?

Here's 10 pages of threads with "Fram" in the thread title .... using the search function (see image with blue arrow).
Use the advanced search, type the keyword(s), select the sub-forum (filters) and

VIOLA !!!

View attachment 186616

It is inconceivable that you can't find what you want to know (and a whole lot more) in these pages.
Seems you have stepped in it as well, Mr. all knowing DNewton3

Back