Another Thread about Mixing Oils

Hello,
I've stalked BITOG over the years and found great information - including a million threads asking about mixing different oils. Now I find myself having one of those questions.

My truck is a 4.6L 3V Triton engine, (06 Explorer), and calls for 6 quarts of 5W20. Through the years, I've tried several different brands, (always fully synthetic) and recently stayed with Pennzoil Ultra for maybe the past 3+ years when I couldn't get that Shell Rotella anymore. It's fine. But on a whim, I saw Pennzoil High Mileage on sale at the end of last summer and picked up 2 5quart jugs. But because of that silly 6th quart, I'm stuck with 4quarts of Pennzoil Ultra from last change to go along with the 10 quarts of High Mileage.

After watching Lake Speed's channel, I'm starting to second guess the High Mileage - at least compared to what I've already been using. I also don't want to waste the High Mileage and the truck did just roll over to 117k and does burn some oil over the 6 month interval I go off, (i might hit like 3k miles during that timeframe).

My question is this: Would it make sense to do the next two changes using 5qts of the High Mileage and adding 1qt of the Pennzoil Ultra from that remaining 4qt supply? I know technically the world wouldn't end, but from the experts here, I'm just curious which direction you guys would go with? I mean, I could buy 2 more qts of Ultra, finish the 4 and shift to the High Mileage next change but the price of 2 quarts of Ultra is so close to just getting a 5qt jug it kills me. Then if I bought a 5qt jug, I'm going down that never-ending spiral again in circles.

You get the idea. Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
My Nissan's take 5.5 quarts. Often the last 0,5 quart was the same, and often it was not. Many here say that is blasphemy, but both are high miles and neither burn a drop of oil? I do short OCI's though, so?

I have always avoided high mileage oils however on vehicles that do not leak. No idea if I should or not.

Thanks for the quick replies all! I've never mixed before but given that oil consumption during the 6 month OCI, I'm curious how the High Mileage plays out.

Now my question is how do I mix? Like, would it make sense to kill off the 4 remaining Ultra Platinum with 2 qts of HM or go with a full 5qt jug of HM and add that 6th quart from the UP? Or bonus question: Which brew will give me those gains I'm after? Like if I went 50/50, can I expect to see 200 more HP and no oil consumption or is that the type of ratio that brings plagues and disease to this engine?

All jokes aside, I also have a can of that BG oil additive. Would adding that seriously help with any blending? I don't know what to do with it and got it as part of their 3 pack when I wanted to give their engine flush treatment a try. Didn't do anything, (good or bad), on at least my engine but I did lose a coil on one cylinder. Not blaming the product. It was very likely sitting in a driveway revving a an engine that hates RPMs like I apparently hate worms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think high mileage oil is more about leaking oil - ie seal swellers, as apposed to burning oil. I could be wrong.

If you think you have sticky rings or something then you might wish to try something like Valvoline Restore and Protect - which is new - or a lot of people here swear by either M1 or Penzoil Ultra platinum (lots of GTL) for cleaning up rings?

However if your oil burn is coming from worn valve stem bushing or seals, then nothing will fix your problem. Does it smoke on cold start?

I just changed the oil in my 2005 LJ. The 4.0L takes 6 quarts, recommended weight 10W-30. 1 Gallon of Delo 400 15W-40 and 2 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 Synthetic. Gives me a somewhat 11.7W-33.3 semi-synthetic blend. Close enough for this tractor engine. I'm only at 153K miles on it anyway.

Back