16 Kia Optima eating oil

The 1.6 gamma is the best engine Hyundai makes. They will run forever if you just change the oil every 3-5k and don't run it low.
A LOT of Hyundai - Kia Hyundai haters here......
I'd take one of those any day over a Dodge-Chrysler-Honda - Ford product........

Boyfriend has a 16 Kia Optima with a 2.4 we’ve been together five years and I’ve changed the oil ever since we’ve been together. Last two oil changes were about 5 to 6000 miles each and was using Pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5W-30. Has no leaks but last oil change was 2 quarts low. And the oil change before that was 1 quart low inspected and found no leaks. Has 77 or 78,000 miles. Switched to Pennzoil full synthetic high mileage 5w20 because they had no 5W-30 hope to slow down the oil consumption, but the oil came out did not look good. He has 9 months left till it’s paid off and don’t wanna buy a car because we want to buy a house. I don’t think it started burning oil till the last two oil changes that I can remember.

You didn't mention if he bought the Optima new or not. The fact that he has 9 months of payments leads me to believe he is the 2nd owner. If he is the 2nd owner, the powertrain warranty is only 5 yr/60k miles. As others mentioned this era of motors for Kia/Hyundai is problematic. My neighbor had the engine replaced is his 2019 Sonata last year. Thankfully it was covered by warranty.

First thing I would do is see if Kia will do anything for him which means you'll have to go to the dealership. If they won't do anything for you, I would go to 3k mile OCI with regular oil 5W-30 oil until after you buy your house and pay off the car. And carry a 5 quart bottle of Supertech oil to refill in between oil changes. No oil is going to stop this consumption. It's not an oil or maintenance issue; it's a engine design issue.

Good luck. I hope you get good news from the dealership.

You’re telling me he hasn’t slapped a ring on your finger…you said boyfriend. A girl who changes her man’s oil is unheard of.

I don’t know, I assumed they were both guys, but I probably just assume that because I’m gay myself.

Anyway, working at the parts store you’d be surprised when it comes to straight couples how often the women are the handy ones and the guys have no clue.

Although the far funnier ones are the single straight women who lean over the counter further when I tell them the battery on their car requires professional installation and I can’t help them. Sorry hun that ain’t gonna work on me!

I don’t know, I assumed they were both guys, but I probably just assume that because I’m gay myself.

Anyway, working at the parts store you’d be surprised when it comes to straight couples how often the women are the handy ones and the guys have no clue.

Although the far funnier ones are the single straight women who lean over the counter further when I tell them the battery on their car requires professional installation and I can’t help them. Sorry hun that ain’t gonna work on me

Although the far funnier ones are the single straight women who lean over the counter further when I tell them the battery on their car requires professional installation and I can’t help them. Sorry hun that ain’t gonna work on me!
I helped my buddy trouble shoot his gate to his house one day. Ended up being a fuse. Off to the parts store we went. He felt macho buying the fuse. He’s absolutely clueless…but love him, lol.

You should have been obeying the Severe Service recommendation and changed that oil every 3.75k. Then most importantly, lifted the hood of the engine and checked the dipstick oil level every 500 miles. These engines labor and die a slow death when the oil gets really gunky-looking and especially labors when it's two quarts low of oil.

Poor maintenance got you here to BITOG. It's a shame people don't read the Owners Manual and don't do basic maintenance that's needed.
I ran M1 10w30 and ProDS 10w30 in my 2012 2.4 Sonata, basically same engine, never burned more than 1/2 a quart in a 7500 mile OCI. I sold it off at 95K because I was bored with it and wanted something different.

Yes the bearing failures are a major issue. But what is causing the oil consumption issues?
The obvious one to me would be stuck rings, but I don’t know if that’s an issue with Kia. Then I’d say the design of the PCV system itself (I don’t know if that’s an issue either). Then maybe ring design/ring material…what do they coat the rings with? How is the honing process on the cylinders at the factory? How are the valve guides and seals from the factory? Could be a lot of things but I couldn’t find anything overly specific on a quick google search.

Yup, all the metal shavings weren't cleaned out of the oil passages in the crankshaft and they will eventually collect all in one area and starve it of oil.
I have a 2017 2.4L Theta II engine whereby the metal shavings clearing out issue was over after 2015 engines . There is probably another contributor such as soft metal connecting rod bearings . For grins , I asked a long time , independent , American flag waving , experienced mechanic what vehicles he sees the least over all mechanical issues with ? …Without hesitation he fired back one word : “Toyota” ! True , any vehicle can have issues but in terms of affordable , non - exotic vehicle brands I trust what the mechanic said regarding Toyota .

I know more than several couples which the female is by and large the more useful human.

The obvious one to me would be stuck rings, but I don’t know if that’s an issue with Kia. Then I’d say the design of the PCV system itself (I don’t know if that’s an issue either). Then maybe ring design/ring material…what do they coat the rings with? How is the honing process on the cylinders at the factory? How are the valve guides and seals from the factory? Could be a lot of things but I couldn’t find anything overly specific on a quick google search.
I never could find anything either. I assume stuck rings leading to oil contamination and loss, causes increased wear and failure

The 1.6 gamma is the best engine Hyundai makes. They will run forever if you just change the oil every 3-5k and don't run it low.
I mean, what wouldn't run forever on modern oil and 3k changes? That's like saying my tires will last forever if I just keep using Great Uncle Ernie's old tire retread machine we keep in the old truck stop garage from before they put the interstate highway in and killed the Stuckey's.

You could pour a combination of HPL and Chuck Norris sweat into that engine for 1,000 mile intervals and that thing would still find itself on the floor of a Hyundai dealership with blown out bearings and oil consumption. Just piled up in corners on crates with nowhere to go. This may be the only engine I’ve ever seen where it is not just an internet sensation effecting a few people, this one actually hits people I know that own them.

I’ve taken a few of these apart recently…you would not believe the carnage inside these things.
I work at a location with only 100 employees and know 2 people that have had blown Kia engines this year alone.

I work at a location with only 100 employees and know 2 people that have had blown Kia engines this year alone.
I don’t mean to keep dumping on Kia/Hyundai, I actually love the look of some of their newer SUV’s and cars from their Genesis line, but it’s funny you mention two people because two people I work with recently also have been hit by the 2.4 bug.

One, and older lady that is upside down on what she owes on the thing (so she can’t just get rid of it). The other a guy that works in the automotive industry and should have known better because he actually is now on his SECOND 2.4 liter Kia! The first 2.4 Kia died at 80,000 miles, new engine, then died again. And what does he do?? He buys another one! And now it’s three years later, the thing comes in the shop for its 5,000 mile oil change using Amsoil Signature Series, and there is no oil on the dipstick! Nothing. This SUV has less than 60,000 miles on it and it’s now an oil burner. The Amsoil he’s throwing in this engine is worth more than the engine itself.

I had a 2018 sonata with the 2.4l and 5K OCI. Car was great until 80k, then it bagan to consume oil. Dealer was not help, just said drive it until the bearings fail. I tried BG EPR, berryman intake cleaning and switching to a heavier weight oil, but nothing helped. I ended up trading out of it during the used market peak in 2022. Between the engine issues and insurance costs on Hyundai/KIA, I would not recommend one to anyone.

Had a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid with 200K KM on it when I traded it in for my Stinger. Had zero issues with oil consumption and I changed every 6000K. I used a 0w in Winter and 5w in summer of the spec oil. Car drove like a champ. In total I have had 5 Kia's since 2010 (3 Souls, KOH, and Stinger). Love the brand

Back