Another 0w16 Post, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it makes you feel better, then use 5W-30 I mean I doubt anyone has any real statistical data on shortened or lengthened engine lives or wear in anycase. It's your warranty but I doubt it would come to that...
Ok, so then you dont have any reservations of having to must use the 0w16 when the env is always hot, right?

Ok, so then you dont have any reservations of having to must use the 0w16 when the env is always hot, right?

To be honest I agree they should have a spectrum of weights like Subaru did (or does) as in allowing heavier weights in tropical/desert climates. That being said, I doubt it by makes much difference and has been alloted for by the OEMs and refiners using Group II+/III-to-V lubes and in the end, you'll trade in your Toyota or turn it back from lease before the devil knows there's wear in the pistons...

I'm still trying to find my Quaker State lube manual from (1987 to) 1995 that states where some OEM's (GM I think) stated not to use "5W-30 in sustained highway driving". A lot of people here are still thinking circa the 1990's, or stopped by then...

To be honest I agree they should have a spectrum of weights like Subaru did (or does) as on allowing heavier weights in tropical/desert climates. That being said, I doubt it by makes much difference and has been alloted for by the OEMs and refiners using Group II+/III-to-V lubes and in the end, you'll trade in your Toyota or turn it back from lease before the devil knows there's wear in the pistons...
Turn it in? I drive them until they dont run any longer, and then some cases fix them back to life. My 2006 Lexus has 222kmi now, should get into 350k range knowing how my UOA's have progressed along with compression tests and watching the plugs. When the time comes, the GX engine will get pulled, redone, and probably get a URD supercharger kit.

Turn it in? I drive them until they dont run any longer, and then some cases fix them back to life. My 2006 Lexus has 222kmi now, should get into 350k range knowing how my UOA's have progressed along with compression tests and watching the plugs. When the time comes, the GX engine will get pulled, redone, and probably get a URD supercharger kit.

Okay but you, like me and your foils here, are maybe one-one-hundredth the general population. That's who they are marketing too..

Buy 0w16 keep copies of receipts for any future possible warranty questions, return for refund. Then buy 0w20 Mobile 1 Extended Protection or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0w20 and really use. Or any other synthetic 0w5w20 and you will be in good shape.

My 2020 Camry 2.5 will have its first oil change soon. I will be putting in the 0w16 Mobil 1. The plan is to change it before 2500 miles then the next change at 10000 miles which will get me to 10000 changes from then on. I could use the 20 weight since the Tundra already uses that. I see no need to go higher than the 20 in these engines.

I always do the initial oil dump at 500mi, because from what I have seen, almost all shed materials have come off by then.

I find this interesting, Mobil 1 has 0w20 in both "models" of oil. Their specs are about identical, yet the "advanced fuel economy" model is ~$14 more than the other (5qt) !! Talk about being taken for a sucker. (see note in next paragraph).

Funny how this "low viscosity" 0w16 and maybe soon 0w8 has come to "reduce the carbon footprint" by attempting to make you use it (in the manual, idiot labels, etc), but you have to pay 60% more !!! (note: the example given is +60%, I do see that walfart is selling the 0w16 for about same price as the 0w20, so buyer beware I guess).

That's no "break-through" in engineering, that's a pay-to-drive tactic! Imagine if in 2yrs the only oil on the shelfs or online are 0w16 or 0w8 via govt mandate, and if you still have a vehicle that cannot use those oils they hit you with a ridiculous "old vehicle" tax on registration, and, you can only buy non "fuel economy" oil from State DMV/DOT locations.

The carbon savings vid I saw said 0w16 could save near 2% if every vehicle used it. Well, guess we'll need to wait until every vehicle out there can use it, would that be 50 or 100yrs ???

Why spend all that time/effort/$$ on the engine oil side vs looking at better fuels that produce less emissions. Did they give up on that?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 14
I find this interesting, Mobil 1 has 0w20 in both "models" of oil. Their specs are about identical, yet the "advanced fuel economy" model is ~$14 more than the other (5qt) !! Talk about being taken for a sucker. (see note in next paragraph).

Funny how this "low viscosity" 0w16 and maybe soon 0w8 has come to "reduce the carbon footprint" by attempting to make you use it (in the manual, idiot labels, etc), but you have to pay 60% more !!! (note: the example given is +60%, I do see that walfart is selling the 0w16 for about same price as the 0w20, so buyer beware I guess).

That's no "break-through" in engineering, that's a pay-to-drive tactic! Imagine if in 2yrs the only oil on the shelfs or online are 0w16 or 0w8 via govt mandate, and if you still have a vehicle that cannot use those oils they hit you with a ridiculous "old vehicle" tax on registration, and, you can only buy non "fuel economy" oil from State DMV/DOT locations.

The carbon savings vid I saw said 0w16 could save near 2% if every vehicle used it. Well, guess we'll need to wait until every vehicle out there can use it, would that be 50 or 100yrs ???

Why spend all that time/effort/$$ on the engine oil side vs looking at better fuels that produce less emissions. Did they give up on that?

AFE IS available at WM for the same 5 qt jug price as vanilla M1 ($22.38)

AFE IS available at WM for the same 5 qt jug price as vanilla M1 ($22.38)
Yeah, I posted it that way, and even noted this fact. The AFE at Sam's Club is 60% higher ! But duly noted, the oil specs are about identical (0w20 was the oil in the two models), so why even bother with having the two models? Even at same cost, what does the AFE 0w20 get me that the non-AFE 0w20 doesn't? Marketing gimmicks is all I see, they all do it.

Attachments

• GL-XX-Mobil-1-0W20.pdf
    118.1 KB · Views: 8
  • GL-XX-Mobil-1-Extended-Performance.pdf
    124.2 KB · Views: 21
They are not the same. The Extended Performance 0w20 has 60-70% PAO base per the M1 SDS and is good for 20,000 mile oci.

The AFE has much less PAO and is blended with other base oils also per the M1 SDS.

The price on the example above is not typical of Walmart pricing. AFE is usually in the lower $20 range. EP is a few dollars higher.

My statement is in regard to the regular EP, not the example above.

Napa has M1 on sale for $5.49/qt, $26.99/5qt, and 0w16 is included :)

They are not the same. The Extended Performance 0w20 has 60-70% PAO base per the M1 SDS and is good for 20,000 mile oci.

The AFE has much less PAO and is blended with other base oils also per the M1 SDS.

The price on the example above is not typical of Walmart pricing. AFE is usually in the lower $20 range. EP is a few dollars higher.

My statement is in regard to the regular EP, not the example above.
The cut sheet for both say about the exact same things, the service ratings are about identical, and the "Properties and Specifications" listed are about identical. If one had poop in it (making it "different") but protected the same way, does it really matter?
They both say "Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil" and "engineered with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic base stocks"

For the avg joe doing a 5 or 7k or 1yr drop, does it really matter one has more PAO? Or, if the price is the same then why would anyone buy the AFE if the other can run 2x as long? The lube and service specs are basically identical.

This thread was originally about 0w16 but you have changed the subject by arguing about the difference between two 0w20 product lines. There is a difference and it would help if you compared apples to apples instead of mixing HM oils into the discussion.

Like with all the other threads you have participated in since your return, this discussion is also going in circles. I don’t believe anyone has an answer for you, whoever you used to be.

This forum has a great new feature and I am going to use it.

Bye. ⬛⬛⬛

The current Camry 2.5 is heading into it's 4th model year (2021) using 0w-16. This oil isn't really new anymore. I certainly haven't heard of any rash of engine failures on it. All the proof you really need is to look at sales numbers for the Camry over the last 3+ years. Pretty staggering. Millions of miles without engines grenading on 0/16.
Same thing with the Corolla heading into its 3rd model year. Not as long time wise but look at the production numbers with no large quantities of engine failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back