Another 0w16 Post, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current Camry 2.5 is heading into it's 4th model year (2021) using 0w-16. This oil isn't really new anymore. I certainly haven't heard of any rash of engine failures on it. All the proof you really need is to look at sales numbers for the Camry over the last 3+ years. Pretty staggering. Millions of miles without engines grenading on 0/16.

This is why I think the OEM's should not spec out a visc grade for use, but should rather just spec out a oil lube rating(s) as acceptable, and then perhaps highlight a oil grade that provides best fuel economy.
Mercedes-Benz is doing just that in some owner's manuals, specifying an approval with no grade recommendation although the approval allows for more than one grade.

But they do specify something else in the approval language.

Last edited:
Film strength? Where are you pulling that up?
?? oil specs , that's where.
Oils have film strength, some in psi, some in other SI units, etc. This # varies depending on oil makeup.

Viscosity does not tell anything about how well the oil can protect from parts rubbing.

Last edited:

A 0w16 running in a small hot engine when it's ~107-110F outside, looks like pee water.

After changing oil in the hot summers of an oil change place way back when I can confidently say it all looks like pee water and spatters and burns. But looks might be deceptive as W16 and W20 oils rely less on VII polymers...

?? oil specs , that's where.
Oils have film strength, some in psi, some in other SI units, etc. This # varies depending on oil makeup.

Viscosity does tell anything about how well the oil can protect from parts rubbing.
How is this measured for motor oils?

Your concerns about wear and durability are trumped by Toyota's requirement to meet CAFE standards in the US.

Your concerns about wear and durability are trumped by Toyota's requirement to meet CAFE standards in the US.
Smaller carbon footprint across the millions of vehicles using the 0w16. I get it, but that was not the context of my Q's.

How is this measured for motor oils?
It's a very old subject here on BITOG. Check it out. To much words to quickly summarize here.

After changing oil in the hot summers of an oil change place way back when I can confidently say it all looks like pee water and spatters and burns. But looks might be deceptive as W16 and W20 oils rely less on VII polymers...
Yeah, I know. But after doing oil for the last ~38yrs I kinda have an idea of my visual against what film strengths are.

It's a very old subject here on BITOG. Check it out. To much words to quickly summarize here.
Lol now I know you don't know what you're talking about in regards to motor oils. You should stick to nuclear engineering I think.

If that's actually your degree. I'm struggling with the notion that anyone with a legitimate engineering degree would believe that.

Smaller carbon footprint across the millions of vehicles using the 0w16. I get it, but that was not the context of my Q's.

If it makes you feel better, then use 5W-30 I mean I doubt anyone has any real statistical data on shortened or lengthened engine lives or wear in anycase. It's your warranty but I doubt it would come to that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back