Another 0w16 Post, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil film thickness will be larger with more viscosity between the moving parts.

Huh? Only when the piston V=0. :ROFLMAO:
Maybe you meant to reply to the other person?

EMPIRE said:
So then what is the 20 not doing that the 16 was doing?
kschachn said:
Not giving the same MOFT as a 30-grade.
What kschachn wrote says the 16 has MOFT like the 30 and the 20 does not, so the 20 is not doing what the 16 was doing.

What kschachn wrote says the 16 has MOFT like the 30 and the 20 does not, so the 20 is not doing what the 16 was doing.

Read his reply again. He's basically saying (in a convoluted way) that the order of smaller to larger MOFT is 16>20>30 because MOFT is a function of viscosity.

Empire, all you do is endlessly argue and never listen nor engage in actual dialogue. It ends in locked threads most of the time and like others, it’s not worth my time to repeatedly explain even the most basic of concepts. Is this all just some sort of odd entertainment for you?

Empire, all you do is endlessly argue and never listen nor engage in actual dialogue. It ends in locked threads most of the time and like others, it’s not worth my time to repeatedly explain even the most basic of concepts. Is this all just some sort of odd entertainment for you?

I've come to the conclusion it's a mix between obtuseness and trolling. :sneaky:

Read his reply again. He's basically saying (in a convoluted way) that the order of smaller to larger MOFT is 16>20>30 because MOFT is a function of viscosity.

So what does the 20 not do that the 16 does?

So what does the 20 not do that the 16 does?

You're like a broken record - tactic of trollers. If you don't get it by now, you should probably really stop reading and trolling BITOG threads. 🤭

Just go run 16 instead of 20, even though your manual says 20 is better for harder vehicle use (ie, really hot ambiet temps would fit that IMO, just like OMs use to show before CAFE got thier hooks into all the manufacures in the USA).

Starting and running (up to temp). The engine has a fixed heatsink for engine oil, if ambient air is hotter then so will be the oil, no way around that.

You pretty much answer your own concerns, yet I've never seen anyone flip-flop between logic more, lol.

Considering the vast amount of people that don't maintain their cars well, I think in say a sample of say 100k cars of a particular engine, requiring 0w20 vs 5w20 or 5w30 will improve the average longevity of theses sample of engines. 2 reasons - cold starts in frigid areas (neglected oil thickens with age) and required synthetic. Combine this with the way most these power trains are designed to stay at low rpm, I think the aggregate additional "wear" for using light oil is a stalemate. Add in CAFE, lightweight is a no brainer for OEMs.
When we in this forum discuss additional wear, we're talking about wear that is only going to be noticeable at 120k +, maybe even more. if you're car is perfectly maintained, you keep the car to very high mileage, and you drive hard there is some benefit to using an oil with a higher HTHS within reason (like one wX grade). But You're car isn't gonna "blow up" if you don't.

Considering the vast amount of people that don't maintain their cars well, I think in say a sample of say 100k cars of a particular engine, requiring 0w20 vs 5w20 or 5w30 will improve the average longevity of theses sample of engines. 2 reasons - cold starts in frigid areas (neglected oil thickens with age) and required synthetic. Combine this with the way most these power trains are designed to stay at low rpm, I think the aggregate additional "wear" for using light oil is a stalemate. Add in CAFE, lightweight is a no brainer for OEMs.
When we in this forum discuss additional wear, we're talking about wear that is only going to be noticeable at 120k +, maybe even more. if you're car is perfectly maintained, you keep the car to very high mileage, and you drive hard there is some benefit to using an oil with a higher HTHS within reason (like one wX grade). But You're car isn't gonna "blow up" if you don't.
What's one grade up from a 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back