Another 0w16 Post, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
20-grade oil does not "protect" anything. It may allow certain ancillary components to work, but it is only because they were purposely designed (and restricted) to work with that grade of oil. There is no inherent advantage to the thinner oils whatsoever except increased fuel economy.

20-grade oil does not "protect" anything. It may allow certain ancillary components to work, but it is only because they were purposely designed (and restricted) to work with that grade of oil. There is no inherent advantage to the thinner oils whatsoever except increased fuel economy.

That's my feeling as well. All cafe driven.

What exactly does this mean.
If the gf6a service spec is on both the 0w16 and 0w20 bottles, what doesn't the 20 do?

What exactly does this mean.
If the gf6a service spec is on both the 0w16 and 0w20 bottles, what doesn't the 20 do?
Hey you're back.

It means that the MOFT is what protects and prevents metal-to-metal contact. Thinner viscosity grades are closer and closer to allowing that to happen. You're almost on the edge with the HTHS of a 20-grade. Therefore it provides little protection.

First line of wear mitigation is viscosity (oil film thickness, MOFT).
Second line of wear mitigation is anti-friction/anti-wear additives (film strength).

This Machine Lubrication article explains it well.

Film Strength Definition.JPG

Hey you're back.

It means that the MOFT is what protects and prevents metal-to-metal contact. Thinner viscosity grades are closer and closer to allowing that to happen. You're almost on the edge with the HTHS of a 20-grade. Therefore it provides little protection.
Ok, but I was comparing the w16 to the w20, not say 20 to 30 or 40. If the 16 is what the OEM calls for then what is the 20 not doing? Certainly they too know HTHS and MOFT, right?

Ok, but I was comparing the w16 to the w20, not say 20 to 30 or 40. If the 16 is what the OEM calls for then what is the 20 not doing? Certainly they too know HTHS and MOFT, right?

The 20 is not giving them as many CAFE credits as the 16. :sneaky:

The 20 is not giving them as many CAFE credits as the 16. :sneaky:
Ok, so the 16 and 20 are by all accounts on the edge of being par, and the OEM's are ok with this.
So CAFE aside, the 20 is still a more viscous oil at temp, yes?

Yes indeed. We all know the power of a $30 UOA.
WE also know the power of a false statement-
quote- Therefore it provides little protection.

Then my 2018 Silverado (5.3) running 0/20W pulling my 5,000 pound travel trailer should have blown up by now............it has 27,000 miles on it-waiting for disaster......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back