Analysis: PEA in different cleaners (Techron, Archoil, Oilsyn, Pro-Tec)

GM just partnered with BG, and they're (GM) recommending 44k every 7,500 miles, and every 15,000 miles they're recommending the BG fuel/air induction service which comes in a 3 can pack including 44k.
Of course they are. It’s a revenue stream that will put money into their shareholders’ pockets. I’ll wait until they do double-blind, third party testing that shows the alleged improvements are worth more savings in fuel than the cost of the treatments.

Til then, I’ll use HPL’s Fuel System Cleaner for the pump & injector side of things, and Redline SI-1 for the combustion chamber side of things, and stagger when I use them in order to not cloud the results for either.

Til then, I’ll use HPL’s Fuel System Cleaner for the pump & injector side of things, and Redline SI-1 for the combustion chamber side of things, and stagger when I use them in order to not cloud the results for either.
I didn't see any HPL fuel system cleaner when I searched? Link?

I use BG44k when I have a chance to get it. It made a noticeable difference in some vehicles that I was using Techron in 2x per year. Never noticed a difference with Techron, thought I was just maintaining clean.

I also use Gumout Multi System tune up and other REGANE ones that have the PEA as recommended here at BITOG. Again no noticeable difference so hoping just maintaining clean, not just cleaning wallet.

I didn't see any HPL fuel system cleaner when I searched? Link?

I use BG44k when I have a chance to get it. It made a noticeable difference in some vehicles that I was using Techron in 2x per year. Never noticed a difference with Techron, thought I was just maintaining clean.

I also use Gumout Multi System tune up and other REGANE ones that have the PEA as recommended here at BITOG. Again no noticeable difference so hoping just maintaining clean, not just cleaning wallet.
Unfortunately it’s a local-only thing; some of the chemicals in it cannot be shipped once it’s all mixed together. I got mine when I stopped by Manteno to pick up my No VII oil. I got a case of it since I’m ~3.5 hours from there and can’t easily get more, either.

Maybe you can get some if there’s a 2024 open house?

Unfortunately it’s a local-only thing; some of the chemicals in it cannot be shipped once it’s all mixed together. I got mine when I stopped by Manteno to pick up my No VII oil. I got a case of it since I’m ~3.5 hours from there and can’t easily get more, either.

Maybe you can get some if there’s a 2024 open house?
Gotta get Dave @High Performance Lubricants to let us know how to get that shipped somehow. From me on Long Island it's 13 hours each way to Manteno. Not that I haven't done strange things like that in the past.

Thanks for the excellent work and sharing with us. Do you have the Gumout Regane line in your market? Curious how it does, as their SDS suggests 10-30% PEA.

Also, have you considered compiling your data and results into Google Sheets or similar? You could record the fuel cleaner, it's model number and the number of drops.

Also, can you get your hands on VW Multi-purpose Additive G001780M3? Its 70-90% PEA according to a 2021 SDS, and is prescribed by VW in a TSB to potentially resolve misfires due to deposits on the fuel injectors and intake valves. They even recommend using it every 5k km if Top Tier gasoline is not available: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10176770-0001.pdf

You might use up the whole bottle of Titrant A though ;)

Last edited:
Of course they are. It’s a revenue stream that will put money into their shareholders’ pockets. I’ll wait until they do double-blind, third party testing that shows the alleged improvements are worth more savings in fuel than the cost of the treatments.

BG actually worked with GM engineers. Their goal is to keep the engine clean, and working longer unlike Chrysler. When Chrysler talked with BG about their products, and they sent them to the marketing team.
I’m not knocking any cleaner just sharing what I know. My engine has seen BG products, and when I pulled the head to replace lifters that collapsed it was surprising clean for a DI engine.

Thanks for the excellent work and sharing with us. Do you have the Gumout Regane line in your market? Curious how it does, as their SDS suggests 10-30% PEA.

Also, have you considered compiling your data and results into Google Sheets or similar? You could record the fuel cleaner, it's model number and the number of drops.
Yes, Regane is available to be delivered from Amazon… But maybe later, it’a pity to pay 56$ for the test) (only pack of 6 is available + delivery cost).

You are right, I’ll compile data to the google sheets, it’s more convenient.

Also, can you get your hands on VW Multi-purpose Additive G001780M3? Its 70-90% PEA according to a 2021 SDS, and is prescribed by VW in a TSB to potentially resolve misfires due to deposits on the fuel injectors and intake valves. They even recommend using it every 5k km if Top Tier gasoline is not available: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10176770-0001.pdf

You might use up the whole bottle of Titrant A though ;)
Yes, it’s available. Will add it to the test list. Just ordered couple Liqui Moly cleaners for diesel and gasoline. so please wait, my wife willn’t forgive such expenses))

You are right, the whole bottle of Titrant A has been exhausted, fortunately I have the second:))

I’ve use Redline every six months before an oil change on the Tacoma. Also on the Pilot at 60% and 20% olm. May want to give BG a try.

NameDropsml in bottleTank (60l) concentration CORRECTION
Oilsyn PEA Doctor90400120
Pro-tec Valves&Injection Cleaner1537518,75
BG 44K 208140325151
Texaco Techron Gasoline System Cleaner100300100
Redline SL-170440102

NameDropsml in bottleTank (60l) concentration CORRECTIONConcentration
BG Performance Restoration PD1540325431:200 concentration
BG 245 premium cleaner62325671:200 concentration
Xado Verylube Super Complex13250101:200 concentration
Pro-Tec CRDSC P210125375311:200 concentration
Archoil AR6400-D Max30400401:200 concentration