Comparison of cylinder and fuel injection cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by SSLoneStar:
So which (between the two)would be the most user friendly ? and what would be the mix on a 16 gal tank for something around 94-96 with a 91 octane base ?
TIA
SS/LS

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
[QB]Here is some information I have saved for quite some time.
Toluene mixed with 92 Octane Gas should produce
94.2 octane at a 10 percent mix rate
96.4 at 20 percent
98.6 with 30 percent

Xylene
94.5 with 10 percent
97.0 with 20 percent
99.5 with 30 percent
This is usually mixed with Tolune and called a Race Formula
I use C12 race gas mixed with 93 Octane unleaded pump gas with real Tetraethyl Lead in my 12.2 Static compression street motor

QB]

Toluene and xylene are almost identical in structure and chemical properties. They can be used interchangably here. Both are good solvents for tarry deposits. If I had to reduce my lists to the one, single, most effective, safest cleaner, I'd say toluene (or xylene.)

Still......... ??
What would be the mix ratio for upping the octane on 91 for a 94-96 oct. I`m trying to put the chill on some major pinging issues.

quote:

Originally posted by Sciguyjim:

quote:

Originally posted by SSLoneStar:
So which (between the two)would be the most user friendly ? and what would be the mix on a 16 gal tank for something around 94-96 with a 91 octane base ?
TIA
SS/LS

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
[QB]Here is some information I have saved for quite some time.
Toluene mixed with 92 Octane Gas should produce
94.2 octane at a 10 percent mix rate
96.4 at 20 percent
98.6 with 30 percent

Xylene
94.5 with 10 percent
97.0 with 20 percent
99.5 with 30 percent
This is usually mixed with Tolune and called a Race Formula
I use C12 race gas mixed with 93 Octane unleaded pump gas with real Tetraethyl Lead in my 12.2 Static compression street motor

QB]

Toluene and xylene are almost identical in structure and chemical properties. They can be used interchangably here. Both are good solvents for tarry deposits. If I had to reduce my lists to the one, single, most effective, safest cleaner, I'd say toluene (or xylene.)

ScijuyJim

Very interesting stuff. I have a question for you. When we are looking at the MSDS all these products have a CAS numbers listed.

Is there some place I can go to find out what the common name for these CAS numbered chems?

I'm especially interest in the CAS for Tulene, Naptha and pure alchol (Everclear or its denatured version)

The reason I ask is general curosity and your thread dredging up a memory of my uncle pouring a few ounces of Everclear in his gas tank just before cold weather.

Thanks

Ever look at what's in some of those supposed "synthetic fuel system cleaners?" Same stuff as NAPA's "Injector Care Plus." All mostly Kerosene.........except 3 times the price.

NeilW,

Here are several sites where you can find info about the chemicals that the CAS numbers refer to:

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/cas-ser.html

http://www.cas.org/training/stneasytips/cassrn.html

http://stneasy.cas.org/html/english/helps/2search/2A3casno.htm

http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/monster/monster2.htm

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/physicalproperties/CASNUM_Search.htm

The Everclear your uncle put in the gas tank before cold weather was probably ethyl alcohol. It does 2 things, One, it can dissolve in the gas and if there is any water in the tank some of the water can dissolve in the alcohol which is in the gas. The result is that the water gets pumped to the cylinders along with the gas so eventually there is none in the tank to freeze and plug the gasline. Second, if there is more than a little water in the tank, some alcohol will dissolve in
it and act like an antifreeze, again preventing gasline freeze.

1maniac,

Yes, the cleaners you buy are very expensive and most are just simple, cheap solvents. That's why I like to buy individual solvents at the hardware store when I can. I get more for my money.
wink.gif

quote:

· 10 Gunk Gas Treatment
· 10 Toluene (a common ingredient)
· 9 Castrol Syntec Power System
· 8 Duralube Fuel System Cleaner
· 7 Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 6 Redline SI-1
· 5 Gunk Air Intake Cleaner
· 4 Naphtha (a common ingredient)
· 4 STP Fuel System Cleaner
· 4 Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· 4 Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 4 STP Intake Valve Cleaner
· 4 CD-2 Emission Cure
· 4 Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· 3 CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 3 Techron Concentrate
· 0.5 Butyl Cellosolve (a "COMMONLY" used "AUTO INDUSTRY DETERGENT" for oil and grease)

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS DO NOT HURT NYLON (LISTED RANDOMLY). They can be used freely in the gas tank. (The letters in parentheses indicate how well they dissolved the material from used oil, A=best.):

· Toluene (A)
· 2-Phenoxyethanol (A)
· Duralube Fuel System Treatment (B)
· B-12 Chemtool (B)
· Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner (C)
· Techron Concentrate (D)
· STP Intake Valve Cleaner (E)
· Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· CD-2 Emission Cure
· Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· Aromatic distillates
· Naphtha
· Butyl cellosolve
· Acetone

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS WILL DECOMPOSE THE NYLON SOCK IN THE FUEL TANK. (Do not add these to your gas tank unless in small quantities). Also, use them up quickly, do not let them sit for a week. Listed in order of increasing severity:

· STP Fuel System Treatment
· CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Castrol Syntec Power System
· Redline SI-1
· Gunk Gas Treatment
· Monoethanolamine

Where does isopropyl fall in the area of danger to nylon? If it is dangerous, what is a better alternative for getting water out of the fuel system?

quote:

Originally posted by Gag_Halfront:

Where does isopropyl fall in the area of danger to nylon? If it is dangerous, what is a better alternative for getting water out of the fuel system?

Isopropyl alcohol will have absolutely no effect on the nylon or any rubber or plastic parts. It will dissolve in gas better than ethanol and it will get your water out of the fuel system. Ethanol and isopropanol are the 2 safest additives for this use.

HOWEVER,

What you want to use is 100% isopropanol or ethanol. These are not the same as "rubbing alcohol" because rubbing aclohol has 30% water in it already.

Just a thought, but ATF is an EXCELLENT cleaner of all things dark and grimy, and it's a lubricant. Would the be a good upper cylinder lube as well as fuel system cleaner? Especially a good synthetic ATF with a high flash point?

Dave

The problem with ATF is that it is not Ashless and you will accumulate more deposits in the cc. If you want a lubricant, TCW-III 2-cycle oil is ashless. But if you want a lubricant, stabilizer and a cleaner all in 1, get Neutra 131 from any Schaeffer's Rep. IMO

Methanol used to eat rubber parts used in carburetors and fuel systems in general and I would NEVER use a product which contained methanol since isopropyl products are widely available and not that much more expensive.

--- Bror Jace

All of the cleaners I could find at my local Autozone that contain toluene also contain methanol. My owner's manual FORBIDS me from using gasoline with methanol in it, as it will do all sorts of ungodly things to my engine. What gives?

I wouldn't worry about a little methanol. It is not as soluble in gas as ethanol, especially if there's some water in the tank. "They" say it causes corrosion too, but I think it only appears corrosive because of the water it absorbs. There are much worse things that can be put in the tank.

quote:

But if you want a lubricant, stabilizer and a cleaner all in 1, get Neutra 131 from any Schaeffer's Rep. IMO

Vetteman I agree. It even works well in the crankcase

[ October 17, 2002, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

After reading this thread and the assesments made as to which are more efficient, I decided to use the Castrol Syntec fuel system cleaner. I can say without a doubt that it made a huge difference! I could actually feel the throttle reponse improving every few miles. I had previously been sold on Redline S1, but after reading that it turns the nylon sock black and that it actually was'nt very effecient in cleaning the fuel system I decide to switch. I would recommend the Castrol fuel system cleaner to anyone. It's a surprise to see chevron techron so low on the list. So much for propaganda and hype.
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
DipStick,

Next time I'm up visiting my in laws in Cville, most likely christmas, I'll bring you a couple bottles of neutra on me.

Now thats sounds like a good idea. But keep your head down, that idiot sniper could have come this direction
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back