Amsoil vs Royal Purple - Project Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone also notice that they also tested the older formulation before they changed it to LSPI protection version with lower calcium and the "75% more wear protection" claim on the bottles?

I wonder what it would look like now in those tests as I think the Pour Point numbers changed slightly with the change. Could be bad memory though...

I'm also giggling a bit that there is this many responses in an hour. I posted right before I left the area I was in today and drove home.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow
I'm accused of hating both, whereas I just hate their marketting, and the personal reaction of fanbois to critiscism thereof
But I hate stupid tests more...

Couldn't resist eh?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Thanks for posting it up Steven .

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
I'm also giggling a bit that there is this many responses in an hour. I posted right before I left the area I was in today and drove home.
lol.gif

Of course, it's new piranha bait.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by StevieC
lol.gif

Of course, it's new piranha bait.
grin2.gif

I guess with 283 views... Either than or I have fans!
crackmeup2.gif

His other oil video test M1 vs Amazon Basic
And Amazon test just as well as M1 to the naked eye
But would I use Amazon oil
NAW !!🤨🤨🤨

Originally Posted by kstanf150
His other oil video test M1 vs Amazon Basic
And Amazon test just as well as M1 to the naked eye
But would I use Amazon oil
NAW !!🤨🤨🤨

Why not?

I don't buy unproven products
Just because its cheap doesn't matter to me

Last edited:
Great video! I have used RP in the past (in fact it's currently still in one of my vehicles) and I'm using AMSOIL in one so far (and will probably use it in more of my vehicles in the future). Both are high quality premium products. While it's clear AMSOIL SS is better than Royal Purple, I would have liked to see RP compared to AMSOIL XL which is directly competing with RP, given that both are advertised to be designed for 12K OCIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
An oil that has a ridiculously low pour point (which is essentially what's being tested here) is typically due to the use of PAO in the base oil blend, which it's generally accepted, is what AMSOIL uses. The Royal Purple API rated stuff is most likely Group III, which is heavily reliant on PPD's to achieve the desired Winter rating. Ergo, it's not surprising that the PAO out-pours the Group III here.

Of course both oils still meet the CCS and MRV requirements for their respective grades, however it is worth noting that an oil is allowed to slip a W rating in service, which is what one may be observing with the "used" RP sample. PPD's degrade.

Just to add to this, I found it interesting that they compared AMSOIL's top-tier offering (Signature Series) with the lowest tier Royal Purple product. They should have either done Signature Series with HPS or the the OE/XL line with the RP API.

Valid point, but HPS is high-zinc racing oil that doesn't meet the latest API requirements (not that it matters, I've used HPS in the past in newer vehicles with no issues), while AMSOIL is SN Plus and Dexos - two completely different oils!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
I don't buy unproven products
Just because its cheap doesn't matter to me

Made by the same blender that makes Supertech. It's likely the same oil. Warren Dist is a well respected blender.

Originally Posted by dogememe
An oil that has a ridiculously low pour point (which is essentially what's being tested here) is typically due to the use of PAO in the base oil blend, which it's generally accepted, is what AMSOIL uses. The Royal Purple API rated stuff is most likely Group III, which is heavily reliant on PPD's to achieve the desired Winter rating. Ergo, it's not surprising that the PAO out-pours the Group III here.

Of course both oils still meet the CCS and MRV requirements for their respective grades, however it is worth noting that an oil is allowed to slip a W rating in service, which is what one may be observing with the "used" RP sample. PPD's degrade.

Just to add to this, I found it interesting that they compared AMSOIL's top-tier offering (Signature Series) with the lowest tier Royal Purple product. They should have either done Signature Series with HPS or the the OE/XL line with the RP API.

Valid point, but HPS is high-zinc racing oil that doesn't meet the latest API requirements (not that it matters, I've used HPS in the past in newer vehicles with no issues), while AMSOIL is SN Plus and Dexos - two completely different oils!

?

AMSOIL signature series is not SN Plus and it is not Dexos. It may be recommended for applications that call for those specs, but RP could say the same thing about HPS. The SS oils are also not API approved.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Cue the AMSOIL hate..

I'm accused of hating both, whereas I just hate their marketting, and the personal reaction of fanbois to critiscism thereof
But I hate stupid tests more...

I actually see Amsoil is a decent product blended with higher quality basestocks and plenty of additives. RP is generic basestocks with generic add packs. But here it's around 80% higher costs at retail.

?

AMSOIL signature series is not SN Plus and it is not Dexos. It may be recommended for applications that call for those specs, but RP could say the same thing about HPS. The SS oils are also not API approved.

The formulation is completely different, though... they aren't competing products.

The formulation is completely different, though... they aren't competing products.

They are additized differently, sure, as the SS products are geared toward extended drains, whilst the HPS is geared more toward "tuners". But for the sake of looking at pour point, which is all this video was testing for, it should have been HPS vs SS or API RP vs XL or OE because of how the products are slotted in their respective lines.

Great video but don't think your engine will notice the brand of oil. It will notice only if you don't change your oil at all.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Amsoil SS 5W-30 BOQI II = 3.11*2,000,000/(6.7*3968) = 234 (PAO)
RP HP 5W-30 BOQI II = 3.1*2,000,000/(10.9*5562) = 102 (Group III)

lol

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Amsoil SS 5W-30 BOQI II = 3.11*2,000,000/(6.7*3968) = 234 (PAO)
RP HP 5W-30 BOQI II = 3.1*2,000,000/(10.9*5562) = 102 (Group III)
lol

Like the calculation or not -- put it a better way: understand the calculation or not -- it works.

Amosil SS is PAO-based and RP HP is low-grade Group III (not even Group III+).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back