Royal Purple bashing Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
That is not bashing. That is responding to claims made by Amsoil about their product.

A lot of what they have said there I have said on this site for years now about the test results from Amsoil. I am glad to see RP finally stand up to them.

I would like to see these oil companies( all of them - even RP )just stick to talking about their product and leave the comparisons and attack marketing out of it. If Amsoil, RP, or whomever truly makes the best product let the product speak for itself.

That's why I like Mobil 1 products. The most professional marketing approach. No gimmicks.

thumbsup2.gif

I think Amsoil, and others, outsource some of their testing to SWRI too.

Quote:
TFOUT test

TFOUT isn't that good of a way of measuring oxidation resistance IMO.

I've never used AMSOIL or RP, but I always believed they were both superior products.

A good company will extol the virtues of their own product, not bash the competition...that kind of marketing should be left to politicians.

Last edited:
That is not bashing. That is responding to claims made by Amsoil about their product.

A lot of what they have said there I have said on this site for years now about the test results from Amsoil. I am glad to see RP finally stand up to them.

I would like to see these oil companies( all of them - even RP )just stick to talking about their product and leave the comparisons and attack marketing out of it. If Amsoil, RP, or whomever truly makes the best product let the product speak for itself.

That's why I like Mobil 1 products. The most professional marketing approach. No gimmicks.

I agree.
Mobil didn't even response to competitors claiming their oil clean better than M1. They just marketing their products with facts such as it is on various manufactures approval lists.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I agree.
Mobil didn't even response to competitors claiming their oil clean better than M1. They just marketing their products with facts such as it is on various manufactures approval lists.

I agree as well. They don't bash their competitors which is refreshing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: msmoke00
"synthetic motor oil that you choose will benefit you vehicle better than conventional motor oil"

Shouldn't we be bashing their first statement?

In fairness to both companies, they do primarily target niche markets, such as extended drains and racing oils. Aside from that, it would be extremely counterproductive for them to state that their product is no better in an SN/GF-5 environment over a conservative OCI than the cheapest certified conventional out there.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: johnnydc

To be honest. I have never seen where RP compairs their stuff with any others by name anyway.

I have.

They one time had a video on their website that showed just pouring Royal Purple into you motor will gain horsepower. They first ran an engine on a dyno with a competitors 10w-40, then they drained it and poured in 5w-20 Royal Purple. The engine showed a few more HP with the RP. The problem is they didn't test the same viscosity, so RP isn't so innocent either. When it was pointed out, they removed the video.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: johnnydc

To be honest. I have never seen where RP compairs their stuff with any others by name anyway.

I have.

They one time had a video on their website that showed just pouring Royal Purple into you motor will gain horsepower. They first ran an engine on a dyno with a competitors 10w-40, then they drained it and poured in 5w-20 Royal Purple. The engine showed a few more HP with the RP. The problem is they didn't test the same viscosity, so RP isn't so innocent either. When it was pointed out, they removed the video.

Haha, that is funny. Royal Purple, "Doh...consumers are smarter than we thought."

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I agree.

Right.

They also correctly answered a lot of the misconceptions about the 4-ball wear etc. on their FAQ page.

Royal Purple is being a bit hypocritical though because they tout the Timken test a lot and their oils also contain 3x the allowable amount of sulfur in their oils.

Marketing is just that, marketing.

The only way to substantiate claims is via blind independent controlled testing.

Most reputable oils out there will do a fine job. Run what you are comfortable with.

I have used both of their products and both did a wonderful job, same with Mobil one.

All of what Royal Purple said might be true. However, at least Amsoil provides all their viscosity data, hths value, VI, etc. For this reason; I will buy Amsoil> RP every time. Royal Purple practically told me on the phone that I'd have to buy their oil and do a uoa.

Originally Posted By: 04SVT
All of what Royal Purple said might be true. However, at least Amsoil provides all their viscosity data, hths value, VI, etc. For this reason; I will buy Amsoil> RP every time. Royal Purple practically told me on the phone that I'd have to buy their oil and do a uoa.

And Royal Purple just took Amzoil APART in that well written refute! For that reason, I will buy RP > Amsoil every time.
thumbsup2.gif

Royal Purple is being a bit hypocritical though because they tout the Timken test a lot and their oils also contain 3x the allowable amount of sulfur in their oils.

I'm not so sure that the higher sulfur levels are present in their latest API oils (i.e. removal of Synerlec).

Hello:

These forums are so fickle.

A couple of months ago I called out Pablo regarding the fact that I believed Amsoil products were not certified by any industry standard organization.

Back then most people disagreed with my claims, but now everyone seems to agree with the claims I made a couple of months ago.

As I said originally, "Recommended For" is not the same as "Approved For".

Looks like that's the case after all - for this thread, at least!

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Hello:

These forums are so fickle.

A couple of months ago I called out Pablo regarding the fact that I believed Amsoil products were not certified by any industry standard organization.

Back then most people disagreed with my claims, but now everyone seems to agree with the claims I made a couple of months ago.

As I said originally, "Recommended For" is not the same as "Approved For".

Looks like that's the case after all - for this thread, at least!

Scott

AMSOIL has two lines of API certified products: OE and XL. Their extended drain oils are not API certified.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, it sort of defeats Amsoil's own arguments re certification, doesn't it ?

Yep! Kudos to RP for calling them out on their tests. They'll probably have a rebuttal, but I doubt they'll change their tests, after all they're paying for them and got the results they asked for.

Even when companies state that tests were done by an independent lab they refuse to inform the public as to the name of the lab. Makes one question the results. Whether medical research, oil tests,etc. the design of the study, and how the statisticians manipulate the numbers sort of make any study results dubious. Like accountants, statisticians; both can answer the question how much is 2 + 2 and say "What do you want it to be"

Originally Posted By: Spector
Even when companies state that tests were done by an independent lab they refuse to inform the public as to the name of the lab. Makes one question the results. Whether medical research, oil tests,etc. the design of the study, and how the statisticians manipulate the numbers sort of make any study results dubious. Like accountants, statisticians; both can answer the question how much is 2 + 2 and say "What do you want it to be"

It goes along with the saying pay for the test get the results you want. Or create the test get the results you want. Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back