Royal Purple bashing Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: 04SVT
All of what Royal Purple said might be true. However, at least Amsoil provides all their viscosity data, hths value, VI, etc. For this reason; I will buy Amsoil> RP every time. Royal Purple practically told me on the phone that I'd have to buy their oil and do a uoa.

And Royal Purple just took Amzoil APART in that well written refute! For that reason, I will buy RP > Amsoil every time.
thumbsup2.gif

So, rp took Amsoil's marketing methods apart. That doesn't make me want to buy rp. The fact of the matter is still true; Amsoil provide all viscosities, hths value, vi, noack, tbn, etc. for each oil they make; While rp leaves you completely in the dark. So, basically you are buy rp solely on marketing hype instead of their competition whom gives you all the specs openly. Yeah...that makes sense. Btw, I'm not talking about Amsoil's silly tests I.e. 4 ball wear test. I'm talking about the specs I listed earlier.

Let me say it another way; I will buy M1, RL, motul, & Amsoil >rp solely because all but rp disclose their specs while rp just want you to blindly buy their oil because they say it's the best. I know I am not alone in my thinking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
A repost from earlier regarding a facebooker who was bashing on Royal Purple and stating Amsoil was better.

My first question was going to be what brought this all on. Ah, The Facebook. Amsoil has not recently mentioned Royal Purple to my knowledge, so it seemed a little odd. Some of what the guy writes just isn't true. The stuff implying that Amsoil just makes stuff up, doesn't use third party labs, isn't API listed, etc or "Amsoil have it out for Royal Purple" is false. The write-up is exactly that, a bash. I had no idea Royal Purple had such an issue with Amsoil, but this sure gives us an insight into the direction of Royal Purple's new management.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: johnnydc

To be honest. I have never seen where RP compairs their stuff with any others by name anyway.

I have.

They one time had a video on their website that showed just pouring Royal Purple into you motor will gain horsepower. They first ran an engine on a dyno with a competitors 10w-40, then they drained it and poured in 5w-20 Royal Purple. The engine showed a few more HP with the RP. The problem is they didn't test the same viscosity, so RP isn't so innocent either. When it was pointed out, they removed the video.

You are right. I remember that so called test. It was a different weight. That was cheating on RP part. (But they did not name names)

both Amsoil and RP make great products. i use both of them. neither is better than the other one.

of course they have it out for each other, they are competing in the same market of boutique oils.

I know Amsoil's test are biased and they promote theirs as better, but so does RP.

As far as specs go, im not bothered RP doesn't state as many as many would like. Everytime ive contacted RP they were happy to share the spec i was looking for. People here get hung up on VI and stuff like that. i think its interesting, but the technical specs are not life and death of an engine when the correct grade is selected, and the Oil is API certified.

Why can't the two companies settle this ? Kind of like a heavy weight title fight right here on BITOG. Independent Lab picked by BITOG alumni, head to head comparison at certified lab using the proper auto related ASTM test ?

Now that would be an interesting thread !

Originally Posted By: PostalBound
Why can't the two companies settle this ? Kind of like a heavy weight title fight right here on BITOG. Independent Lab picked by BITOG alumni, head to head comparison at certified lab using the proper auto related ASTM test ?

I agree. However, the fan boys for which ever brand "lost" would ultimately dispute the test and or place. In the end; we like what we like and most of us are fairly closed minded about it what we like and use. I'm sure there is a certain percentage of folks that buy Amsoil solely because they advertise "first in synthetics". Conversly, I'm sure there are folks that buy RP purely because they think it's neat it is purple. I know it's funny to most of us.

Originally Posted By: PostalBound

An independent lab already did this three years ago and Royal Purple was forced to stop making claims like:
"superior oxidation stability"
"provides film strength up to 400%"
"reduces engine wear by 80%"
"increases HP and torque by up to 3%"
"fuel economy improvement by up to 5%."

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

Originally Posted By: Capa

Then shame on you if you are siding with Amsoil! Reread the OP! Amsoil was just fully taken to task on all their biased claims and set up tests!

Its been a REAL tough week for Amsoil here at BITOG.

Then shame on you if you are siding with Amsoil! Reread the OP! Amsoil was just fully taken to task on all their biased claims and set up tests!

...IF Royal Purple's claims about Amsoil are actually true.

You forgot that part.

once read someone wrote engine oils make nice discussion but little differences in real life application at least for most people. as rightly pointed out, it just marketing at it worst.

First of all, I am not siding with Amsoil. However, I have noticed for years on BITOG a lot of Texans that defend RP as if they had a vested interest in the company.

Second of all, don't believe everything you read on Facebook, especially a report that bashes Amsoil's tests with a spurious test of their own and then backs it up with mere words. Lol.

Third of all, it was Royal Purple that was "taken to task" three years ago by two independent labs at the request of BP. It was Royal Purple who made outlandish claims and then had to remove them from their bottles.
smile.gif
If that isn't being taken to task,then what is? These were the false claims that RP removed:

"superior oxidation stability"
"provides film strength up to 400%"
"reduces engine wear by 80%"
"increases HP and torque by up to 3%"
"fuel economy improvement by up to 5%."

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm

These labs pitted Castrol against Royal Purple and there was no difference, except for the outrageous prices that RP charges in the US for a product that is on par with Castrol.

Again: Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

^ +1. That is true too.

They are both guilty of misleading and being somewhat deceptive.

And shame on you for thinking Amsoil is the only one that makes such claims. Royal Purple is every bit as guilty of making outlandish claims about their oils i.e. 400% film strength and so on. For you to criticize one company (Amsoil) for skewed marketing and not their competition (rp) shows irrational, illogical, and immature thought on everyones part whom does so. Furthermore, you are being 100% biased.

BTW, I've never even used Amsoil. I just placed my first order last week. I do believe in fairness, and logic though. I agree with whomever said RP is being hypocritical.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with whomever said RP is being hypocritical.

That would be me.
grin.gif

Quote:
Amsoil doesn’t have any 3rd party independent studies done that show their product out performs ours and the ones they do claim are conducted by dealers or their own labs.......

The ASTM D4172 Test (4 ball wear test) is NOT an accepted engine oil test nor indicative of actual field wear performance for engine oils.......

Amsoil also has a bad habit of claiming ASTM, API acceptance and/or test protocol and then modifying the test in-house. The ASTM D4172 should run at 1200 rpm and 75 C. Amsoil ran it at 1800 rpm and 150 C. At that point, it becomes an 'Amsoil' in-house test, not an ASTM repeatable test. Why did they modify the test?......

Amsoil's typical miss-interpretation of results can even be found in their own reports. Their test regarding film strength is not about film strength but is about wear.....
They forgot:

Amsoil is a multi-level Pyramid Scheme just like Amway (and hundreds of others that were shutdown). They are required by law to reveal this: The average dealer makes less than $100 per year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: theaveng
They forgot:

Amsoil is a multi-level Pyramid Scheme just like Amway (and hundreds of others that were shutdown). They are required by law to reveal this: The average dealer makes less than $100 per year.

Amsoil is a limited MLM company, but it not is NOT a "pyramid scheme", is not just like Amway - not even close. It's a completely legal and above board company in business for 40 years. As for the $100 claim, can you please cite a legitimate source for this?

Quote:
Amsoil doesn’t have any 3rd party independent studies done that show their product out performs ours and the ones they do claim are conducted by dealers or their own labs.......

The ASTM D4172 Test (4 ball wear test) is NOT an accepted engine oil test nor indicative of actual field wear performance for engine oils.......

Amsoil also has a bad habit of claiming ASTM, API acceptance and/or test protocol and then modifying the test in-house. The ASTM D4172 should run at 1200 rpm and 75 C. Amsoil ran it at 1800 rpm and 150 C. At that point, it becomes an 'Amsoil' in-house test, not an ASTM repeatable test. Why did they modify the test?......

Amsoil's typical miss-interpretation of results can even be found in their own reports. Their test regarding film strength is not about film strength but is about wear.....
They forgot:

Factual presentation of verifiable information please. Sounds more like bloviating !!!

Quote:

They forgot:

Bawahaha, stop it your making my side hurt. You obviously don't know the difference between a real pyramid "scheme" and Multi Level Marketing.

Let me ask you what business isn't a pyramid? As an employee; are you ever going to make as much as the ceo? Or the the vice president...etc, etc; unless of course you are one of those positions. Anyway, there is a very real difference between a pyramid scheme and a MLM business. Only the ignorant assume they are the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back