Royal Purple bashing Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Capa
However, I have noticed for years on BITOG a lot of Texans that defend RP as if they had a vested interest in the company.

I know; right? I was born and raised in Texas too. It is true; we Texans have great pride for our state. However, I don't understand defending a product just because the company is from your home state. The product is either better or it isn't. If it isn't; well, they should make it better if they want my business.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Wow. It's so refreshing to read something on the Internet that consists largely of claims that can be checked. I'm not sure I can endorse company-to-company bickering, but big kudos to Royal Purple for stepping up like this.

Can't wait to see Amsoil's response...

EDIT: After a second read, I have to subtract a point for the mention of the Timken OK Load test...

You're only subtracting one point for the Timken test?? I give them a C- because of it.
grin2.gif
I say shame on them for implying to the general public that this is an industry standard test for engine oil.
36.gif

-Dennis

You guys act like it's "battle of the heavyweights" or something.
wink.gif

Now Mobil vs Valvoline, you might have something....

Originally Posted By: Tay
once read someone wrote engine oils make nice discussion but little differences in real life application at least for most people. as rightly pointed out, it just marketing at it worst.

Not at their worst, just easier to make fun of...

The company I worked for (Equinox) was also an MLM selling product, but they still got shutdown by the government since the product was just a disguise to hide the funneling of money from dealer to company.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
The company I worked for (Equinox) was also an MLM selling product, but they still got shutdown by the government since the product was just a disguise to hide the funneling of money from dealer to company.

What is your point? That all MLM business are illegal? If so, you are incorrect again. Yours obviously was. I'm sorry for you losing your job.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
You're only subtracting one point for the Timken test?? I give them a C- because of it. I say shame on them for implying to the general public that this is an industry standard test for engine oil.

-Dennis

Would you rather us use this test: Castrol FST Test

If you look carefully at the apparatus they have designed, the basic concept is very similar to a variation I have seen on the Timken Test.

Just to be clear - I agree that the Timken test isn't an industry standard test, but NO ONE publishes their Sequence Testing Results so really have no objective way to compare wear protection ability of various oils. Apparently for Castrol they thought creating their own proprietary test (like RP did in the beginning with a modified version of the Timken) would be a way to do it.

Just goes to show you that you can't trust the marketing spin that anyone (AMSoil, RP, Castrol) or anyone puts on "industry standard testing"...

^+1

Valvoline, Pennziol and Mobil have in the past used the Seq IVA and IIG to demonstrate wear performance, which is a standardized test and superior to any 4-ball wear or timken test.

I would also add that among the major brands, Castrol has the worst marketing.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
You guys act like it's "battle of the heavyweights" or something.
wink.gif

Now Mobil vs Valvoline, you might have something....

Ha! Great point!

Two nearly microscopic boutique oil companies. Who cares. If you don't like them DON'T BUY ANY.

Originally Posted By: atoalson
When was the last time an engine failed due to oil chemistry while using either Amsoil or Royal Purple?

Yesterday with royal Purple...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: atoalson
When was the last time an engine failed due to oil chemistry while using either Amsoil or Royal Purple?

This is actually a great question. And oil related failures are VERY rare on any oil.

This Amsoil versus Royal Purple discussion is a non-issue for me. I wouldn't use either one of their products.

I'll stick with German Castrol or Pentospeed VS for most of my fleet, and use either Castrol (Edge with SPT) or COP (Kendall GT1) in the Honda.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
This Amsoil versus Royal Purple discussion is a non-issue for me. I wouldn't use either one of their products.

I'll stick with German Castrol or Pentospeed VS for most of my fleet, and use either Castrol (Edge with SPT) or COP (Kendall GT1) in the Honda.

Scott

Ok...I'm not really sure why you posted in here then. Are you trying to hijack the thread? I'm sure there are threads about Castrol vs whatever or Kendall vs something. I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back