ChatGPT ranked Most important oil traits for T-GDI heavy city and idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked ChatGPT to explain motor oil testing parameters that I fed it in layman’s terms and to prioritize them based on a specific engine under extreme conditions.

I used 1.6 T-GDI that idles twice the norm with 80% city driving.

Here’s what I got. Thoughts?

Based on the engine's conditions, the most important measurements for the 1.6 liter turbo GDI engine that idles twice the norm and operates at 80% city driving are as follows:

1. CCS ViscosityCP @ (°C) (ASTM D5293): This test measures the viscosity of a lubricant at low temperatures. which is important for engines that need to start quickly in cold weather. In extreme conditions like idling twice the norm, quick start-up is vital to avoid engine wear

2. High-Temperature/High- Shear Viscosity @ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.1CP (ASTM D5481): This test measures the resistance of oil to flow under high temperature and high shear conditions that occur inside an engine. Since the engine operates at 80% city driving. the oil is exposed to high temperature conditions frequently. The oil must maintain its viscosity to protect the engine from wear and tear.

3Kinematic Viscosity @

100°C, cSt ASTM D445)This test measures the resistance of oil to flow at high temperatures, which is essential in an engine that operates at extreme conditions.

4. Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445)This test measures the resistance of oil. to flow at low temperatures. Since the engine idles twice the norm, it produces less heat, and the oil's viscosity may drop. Ant oil with a higher viscosity index at lower temperatures would be beneficial in this scenario.

5Total Base Number (ASTM D2896): This test measures the alkaline reserve of oil, which protects the engine from acidic wear. Since the engine operates at extreme conditions, it generates more wear particles that need to neutralize with an oil additive to prevent harm.

6Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270): This test measures the oil's viscosity variation across a temperature range. The higher the viscosity index the lesser the oil's viscosity changes with temperature. This is essential in different operating conditions. especially in extreme ones.

7NOACK Volatility% weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D5800): This test measures oil's evaporation loss at high temperatures. which may cause oil thickening and lead to deposits

8Pour Point "C (F(ASTM D97): This test measures the temperature below which the oil loses its flow properties. It's essential to know the pour point of the oil since the engine operates in cold weather.

9Flash Point °C (F) ASTM D92): This test measures the temperature at which the oil gives off enough vapor to ignite. This characteristic is essential, especially during high-temperature conditions.

10. Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92): This test measures the temperature at which the oil continues to burn after ignition. This characteristic is not highly significant in this engine's case, as the engine is not expected to catch fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m no oil expert but the answer isn’t half bad. I feel like it kind of vomited a bunch of different oil tests out and explained them per the criteria of the question.

Not sure how low temperature viscosity is provided as it has very little impact on the question. This is just a spew of test information. Pour point? who cares. The question was about idling.

Nope - some of it is not right. TBN doesn't neutralise wear particles. Flash point is largely irrelevant to end users. The rest of it is basically "this test is essential because oil needs to work".

important for engines that need to start quickly in cold weather. In extreme conditions like idling twice the norm, quick start-up is vital to avoid engine wear
Isn't it beneficial for all engines to start quickly in cold weather? Also, a quicker warm-up period would be desirable to avoid wear, not a start-up.I mean once the engine is started it's started.

Take ChatGPT as a grain of salt, I've used it some and it provides incorrect answers a lot more than what you would think, it is in your best interest to fact check the answers that are given.

i think chat gpt is educated the same way as most kids nowadays
it memorizes a bunch of information and can spit it back out on demand. it can't form it's own opinions or discover anything because all it knows is what it's been taught is the truth (even if it's not the truth)

i think chat gpt is educated the same way as most kids nowadays
it memorizes a bunch of information and can spit it back out on demand. it can't form it's own opinions or discover anything because all it knows is what it's been taught is the truth (even if it's not the truth)
1000% agreeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back