Amsoil good to 15,000 warranty. What if car dies after?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious about the oil warranty found on labels. For example Amsoil warranties that their oil can be in your engine for 15,000 miles.

Let's say you ran Amsoil for 15,000 miles. During the change you noticed that Amsoil was really in bad shape. You decided to fill this time with a different brand.

Then your engine fails @ 15,000.0001 miles because previous Amsoil was ran for 15,000 miles, (which cause lack of lubrication, worn engine parts etc.) will Amsoil warranty hold?

quote:

During the change you noticed that Amsoil was really in bad shape.

Please further define. This is the heart of your post.

In a nutshell, for Mobil 1, Amsoil or anyone else selling extended OCI oils - if you can prove the oil was the cause of engine death then they will honor the warranty.

The scenario you lay out is extemely improbable and yes there is more to extended OCI's than filling the crankcase at some point and driving.

Ok, let me clarify.

You left Amsoil in your engine for 15,000miles (within their stated warranted OCI). You changed it after 15,000 miles and Amsoil came out in very bad condition i.e. UOA showed that you should have changed it 5,000 miles ago, so at the time of the change, the oil had completely lost all it's additives way beforehand and you've been running your car for the last 5k miles with beaten amsoil, and it so happens that the last 5k miles you had to move so car went through the most severe condition (frequent starts, very short trips @ stop and go traffic, -1F temp, dusty trip near construction site, heavy load, lots of hills)

So time for OCI @15k miles you change over to new brand of oil let's say Mobil 1, you run your car for 0.01 mile and engine quits due to running Amsoil for 5k miles longer without any additives @ extreme severe service. Will Amsoil still be responsible for the warranty?

I think Pablo already answered your question:
"If you can prove the oil was the cause of engine death then they will honor the warranty."

Your example would probably require a failure analysis. If that says it was a lube failure, you're money.

In real life (I know it was just an example), your scenario is so terribly, terribly unlikely that I'm not sure it will ever come up. Plus, if you got far enough to drain the one fluid and then put something else in while it was still running right, wouldn't the failure analysis suggest the new oil was the culprit?

No - because you had improper air filtration, didn't change oil filter and top up (truly if the oil was that bad in only 15K) or actually exceeded Amsoil's recommend OCI which may be only 10K in some cars.

quote:

Originally posted by 626LX2.0LATX1998:
Then your engine fails @ 15,000.0001 miles because previous Amsoil was ran for 15,000 miles, (which cause lack of lubrication, worn engine parts etc.) will Amsoil warranty hold?

Simple - you're asz is grass.

Well, let's be realistic. The probability of an oil related engine failure, based on "wearing out" an Amsoil PCMO over a 15,000 mile interval, is probably even less than being struck by lightning.

But, in your example, if you followed Amsoil's recommendations for the product, and saved a sample for analysis, and the oil is defective in some manner, this meets the conditions as stated in the Amsoil warranty.

Per the Amsoil warranty:

5. In the event of a claim against AMSOIL INC., the procedure below must be completely followed.

a. Where the original warranty from the equipment manufacturer is still in effect, the customer shall file a warranty claim with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) in accordance with the OEM warranty procedure.

b. Customer shall retain failed parts for inspection by AMSOIL INC. unless given to the OEM.

c. Customer shall also, within 30 days of failure, notify AMSOIL INC. and provide the following:
(a.) An eight (8) ounce representative oil sample taken from the failed equipment and put into a clean container.
(b.) Documentation including make, model, and year of equipment, total accumulated miles and/or hours, and duty cycle or service environment.
(c.) Equipment or vehicle maintenance history documentation including miles or hours at the time of AMSOIL lubricant installation, general equipment repairs, and oil analysis results if available.
(d.) Proof of purchase for AMSOIL lubricant.
(e.) Batch number from oil container or Certificate of Analysis.

See the full warranty at the Amsoil Website

In fact, I believe this is still true, Amsoil has never ever paid off on its warranty. Why, because their defintion of a oil disaster would only be if the oil was formulated bad at the plant and you got water instead of oil or simething similar. All else is due to mechanical failure not the oil Engines sludging, etc., are all mechanical under their defintion. Only bad oil from the WI plant could be considered as a warranty claim. Engines do not fail catastrophically from oil, they wear gradually. Catastrophic failure is due to mechanical issues, you could never prove it was the oil. They are all the same, Amsoil, QS etc. about as much worth as the paper they are printed on.

Actually, I believe they settled with Toyota on a couple of the 3.0L, V-6 sludge engines that failed, although it was a good will gesture, since this engine has obvious issues.

Following this, they purchased a couple of these Toyo V-6 engines new and tested them under controlled conditions in the lab to see what the design flaws were.

Tooslick

I was just gonna drop in that all heck breaks loose when you drop the modern sludgers into the equation. Yes, Amsoil did help some folks - but also declared that Toyota has design issues.

This is not all legal mumbo-jumbo. You would be amazed how many scum-bags do things for free engines. You are free to think the conditions in the warranty are just legal dodges - but believe me the company would be quickly bankrupt without such protection. Again this is NOT Amsoil unique.

quote:

You would be amazed how many scum-bags do things for free engines.

That is the problem, those who ***** the most about this are the ones who would love to shaft someone.

Go talk with any store manager and they can tell how many times someone has tried to screw them on a product warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Following this, they purchased a couple of these Toyo V-6 engines new and tested them under controlled conditions in the lab to see what the design flaws were.

Tooslick

Out of curiosity, what did Amsoil determine the design flaws were?

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Actually, I believe they settled with Toyota on a couple of the 3.0L, V-6 sludge engines that failed, although it was a good will gesture, since this engine has obvious issues.

Tooslick

This is true, if memory serves me correctly. A friend had an Avalon sludgemonster and was following all the news at the time. With all the class action going at the time, his dealer was giving him frequent oci's with M1. I remember Amsoil did pay one or more claims, although it was clearly a design issue on Toyota's part.

Yes, what were the design flaws that Amsoil found?

What bothered me most about the Amosil dealers around the country was that they knew Toyota had a problem with this engine yet continued to market Amsoil under their one year 25,000 mile waranty,. IMO they should have been honest and said look this engine has problems and we suggest only 5000 even with Amsoil? that was myu big beef with local reps.

Does AMSOIL not recommend sampling every 7500 miles? If you ran for 10k miles w/o sampling, I would imagine this would come up. However, they don't make this a requirement. I'm not a lawyer though & don't play one on the internet.

I am a little late here but it was more then Amsoil on the findings here; on the IMZ V-6 motor.

Here are some links.

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38302

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38921

Also per my Lexus letter (since I have a sludge motor running Amsoil for extended drains), they state, "All we ask is that you show a reasonable effort to regularly maintain your vehicle." Does not even bother with drains...go figure.

But my last test was fine and going on another.

[ July 13, 2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: mburnickas ]

Actually when read through the two articles, it does look like some classic lack of control design changes without enough of the right type of testing. This is surprising for "The Toyota Way"! Maybe a bit to lean, eh?
blush.gif
shocked.gif

"First, the automaker said it has made a running production change to its widely used 3.0-liter V-6 engine that will improve circulation by enabling oil to drain faster into the sump - an apparent acknowledgement that engine design has been at least part of the problem."
This with other clues (lifter buckets, smaller coolant passages, hot and cold spots, VVT and PCV) backs up my point.
This should tell us BiTOG hop heads something, too:
"I might not have done oil changes every 4,000 miles," she said. "I have some at 4,000 and some at 6,000 - but I have had oil changes. But they wouldn't accept my Jiffy Lube receipts."

I know my last test the TBN was low & slightly thicked but everything else was fine.

Going for another 12K drain and see what is up.

But I think people are going the 7,500 miles (per the manual) with a dino oil and it WILL not hold up (from what I see). For me, running 12K drains using ASL my TBN was 3.33. No bad and still has some left but I would normally drain at TBN of 2.0

I know Amsoil states 25K right off the start but there is no way in these sludge engines; at least not with there ASL anyways.

I had a webpage on this topic and here is another link from it.

http://yotarepair.com/My Opinion.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back