Amsoil for a Porsche?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Location location location.

No way I'm paying full retail price for any oil doesn't matter how good it is, while I can get good enough oil such as M1, Synpower, PP, PU, Maxlife Full Synthetic ... for $2-3/qt or less after rebate.

But it is not possible for you guys up north to buy good enough syn oil for less than $3-4/qt, then ordering Amsoil online is not a bad choice.

LOL!! I don't care what oil he uses. Being he is in Canada, and can get Amsoil cheaper, go for it. However, there are some trade-offs, one of them being official approval if that is important to him.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Location location location.

No way I'm paying full retail price for any oil doesn't matter how good it is, while I can get good enough oil such as M1, Synpower, PP, PU, Maxlife Full Synthetic ... for $2-3/qt or less after rebate.

But it is not possible for you guys up north to buy good enough syn oil for less than $3-4/qt, then ordering Amsoil online is not a bad choice.

$3-4 a quart is about right for a more popular OTC synthetic that is also GP-3 and not the company's flagship, top of the line product. Here, Syntec, PP, and sometimes Mobil-1 (not the EP product) go on sale in that price range, which is when I buy them. The flagship alternatives - Edge, PU, and M1 EP, don't generally go on sale or rollback and are always priced at about $7-$8 a quart (when you buy the jug). Amsoil and Redline are about $12-$13 a quart, and only available here by the quart.

For me, I`m driving a 10 year SL rated Corolla instead of a Porsche, so anytime it sees PP or Syntec it is getting a treat. Most of my stash is dino, bought largely at about $2.50 a quart on average.

My choice of oil and price range is a reflection of what I drive. A more expensive oil for this is wasted on it. I agree with the previous poster who stated that if one owns a Porsche, the price of oil should not be a factor versus providing it with the most appropriate oil for it.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: buster

I noticed on the new PDS they talk about this oil being good for DI engines. Shear stability is up and so is the VI. For M1.

Sorry, were you referring to the M1 0w-40?

Thanks

Price is not an issue, though I can buy Amsoil cheaper and conveniently.

I haven't read yet (and I've been searching) that Amsoil AMO is a poor choice of oil because ...

or This Porsche engine needs an oil that is particularly good at ...

The suggestion that an HTHS over 4.0 would be a bad choice is interesting. I wouldn't have thought it'd be bad for an engine that may get particularly warm back there and if the oil gets that hot it would need the added protection.

The Porsche approved oil list, if I`ve found the correct one, is pretty short but I do see Syntec 5w40 and Penn Ultra 5w40 and both I saw at [censored] Tire. I will search for specs on each.

I don't see why you can't use the AMO. It's a good oil. Also, the AFL has lower SA.

Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 is a very stout oil. If you can get it locally for a good price, use it...especially if it's Porsche approved.

Originally Posted By: Will

The suggestion that an HTHS over 4.0 would be a bad choice is interesting. I wouldn't have thought it'd be bad for an engine that may get particularly warm back there and if the oil gets that hot it would need the added protection.

It is an lubrication myth that running a heavier oil provides some sort of "added protection". For optimized lubrication you want the oil to be as light as possible but no thicker than necessary.
For your modestly powered 2.7L Boxster, the spec' oil is more viscous than your engine will ever need. The 550hp GT-2 doesn't require a thicker oil and it's oil does get very hot particularly when tracked.

These Porsche engines hold up to 9-10qts of oil and have large coolant sumps. M1 0w40 is a global formulation with a broad viscosity range that is ideal in most climates. Handles both extremes very well. That could possibly be one reason why it's a preferred oil choice.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
PLENTY of Porsche owners and mechanics use 50 weight, despite what the "experts" theorize.

There any group-think Wiki links on this psychological phenomenon?
45.gif
50.gif
grin2.gif

As you can see this subject highly polarizes the oil and Porsche community. Porsche approval is not that special. Over 100 oils are approved if I am correct, many from exotic refineries. It is not that hard to meet it if as example three separate refineries from such a oil superpower as Poland meet the A40 spec. And then you can ask how many Porsche owners are there in that country that the oil market is so competitive. One camp swears by M1 another will die before pouring it to their engines.
It is not easy folks to dismiss a ton of information on other forums, whether legit or myths, related to premature wear, ZDDP content, SM versus SL and on and on. Folks like Will and myself turn to forums for more clarity from others who have more experience in the subject matter.
It is fair to ask: why? and how? to hear something to the contrary of many posts, pictures and statements from respected individuals providing very disturbing information.
I would also like to know why HTHS > 4.0 is not recommended for P cars. Please spend some time and explain it to us. That's why we are here. We all have enough of that M1 mystery from "just use it" to "stay away" and everything in between.
Will:
There is however one oil, or actually two of them that both camps can agree upon. Comments from engine builders, users, etc, Porsche approved all add up.
It's actually Motul. X-cess and X-clean, both in 5w-40 variety. That's what I am using right now and will for a while. The X-clean in particular has a number of approvals not much shorter than M1. My only concern is that lower quality NA fuels may not be the best match for this mid SAPS oil. In other words too advanced for this continent.

I also considered 10W-40 oils as I use my car in warmer months only. There is another thread in this forum about it. A number of other Porsche forums speak quite positively about those oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back