Amsoil & Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Lack of marketing knowledge is apparent here. Bringing a product to the likes of Walmart etc. is a HUGE undertaking.

Amsoil is MLM. So what? A lot of great products are sold this way. It's a low cost way to develop a niche product.

Niche is the key word as noted above.

Bingo
thumbsup2.gif

I still think it would be nice if they got some manu approvals on some of their flagship oils however.

yeah, small company (relatively) selling in a place like walmart would be suicide. No reason to compromise like that, IMO.

I'm ok with them not going to retail chain stores. I am just wondering why they can't specify why they won't formally submit their products for testing.

"I don't want to make this into an Amsoil bashing thread,"

In my line of work, we call this a "qualifier."

No matter what you do or how well you do it, there will always be those people who just don't like you.

Especially their Euro 5w40 oil, which I was never impressed with.

If you care that much about API service levels & ILSAC .... don't worry... Amsoil has you covered:

DEO, 5W-40, CJ-4/SN
OE, 0W-20, SN, Resource Conserving, GF-5
OE, 10W-30, SN, Resource Conserving, GF-5
OE, 5W-20, SN, Resource Conserving, GF-5
OE, 5W-30, SN, Resource Conserving, GF-5
OED, 15W-40, CJ-4/SN
PCO, 15W-40, CI-4/SL CI-4 PLUS
XL, 5W-20, SN, Resource Conserving, GF-5
XL, 5W-30, SN, Resource Conserving, GF-5
XL, 10W-30, SN, Resource Conserving, GF-5
XL, 10W-40, SN
XL, 0W-20, SN, Resource Conserving, GF-5

What about Redline Oils? What are they hiding?

They, like Amsoil, also uses the "meets or exceeds" line on many of the oil products...

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
If you care that much about API service levels & ILSAC .... don't worry... Amsoil has you covered:

DEO, 5W-40, CJ-4/SN
OED, 15W-40, CJ-4/SN
XL, 10W-40, SN

I think you're missing the point of this thread. None of the oils you listed above have actually been certified to meet these specs. They are only "recommended for" applications requiring these specs. There is a slight difference there.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

DEO, 5W-40, CJ-4/SN
OED, 15W-40, CJ-4/SN
XL, 10W-40, SN

I think you're missing the point of this thread. None of the oils you listed above have actually been certified to meet these specs. They are only "recommended for" applications requiring these specs. There is a slight difference there.

The OE and XL oils ARE API certified.

Buster's issue is with the "flagship" signature series line which isn't.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Thanks. When I read Amsoil's website for these oils, it only stated "recommended for", but looking closely at the photo, there is an API stamp on the label.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Thanks. When I read Amsoil's website for these oils, it only stated "recommended for", but looking closely at the photo, there is an API stamp on the label.

No problem. Yeah, they certify the oils designed to be used in "retail" channels, which makes sense.

I'm not an Amsoil apologist, but I think the reason the SS line aren't API-certified is b/c they are so far BEYOND what is required for those specs, it is a complete waste to certify them.

The formulation is so capable, that if a tribologits just looks at the basic specs of the oil, they will realize they pass it w/o even trying.

This may sound a bit convoluted, but I think it is also to try and keep 'warranty covered' people AWAY from the oils.....

A person with a new car will usually see they need to run an 'API certified' oil for X-numberof miles. The XL and OE oils have the API starburst on them, and they clearly state 'run the man. specificed interval.

The SS oils want you to go much, much further, and possibly even do oil testing to see how far you can go. They are designed for folks who know a bit about oil and extended intervals.

If a person with a warranty-covered car saw that the SS oils had the API cert, they would then next see that the oil can be run for 'up to 25k miles'....so they just blindly run that, and foul up their warranty, and maybe even their engine. We've seen this happen - there was a thread on a Toyo board about a guy who went 35k on a sludger Toyota, and Amsoil chose to give him a new engine. Amsoil doesn't want that confusion.

Yeah UG, you are missing the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to look for answers to questions that have no bearing whatsoever on the performance of Amsoil products. Even if you could answer the posed questions, all the answers and a few dollars would get you is a cup of coffee.

Don't get sucked into this mess by debating certifications or recommendations while trying to answer questions regarding why or why not Amsoil does thus and so...just let people pontificate and opine until interest is lost.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
This may sound a bit convoluted, but I think it is also to try and keep 'warranty covered' people AWAY from the oils.....

A person with a new car will usually see they need to run an 'API certified' oil for X-numberof miles. The XL and OE oils have the API starburst on them, and they clearly state 'run the man. specificed interval.

Not convoluted at all! I agree completely. Why would Amsoil wish to create a hornet's nest? There's no reason to certify an ultra-long drain oil as SN/GF-5, because someone will be foolish enough to go beyond the OEM recommendations and everyone from Amsoil to the manufacturer will be blamed, when the blame is actually in the mirror.

It's sufficiently different from M1 EP to be notable. M1 EP is warranted to go 15,000 miles. That's not a ridiculous number on a quality oil. XOM also has the resources to fight tooth and nail or pay a claim, as the case may be. Amsoil doesn't need the hassle.

Lots of good opinions here. My only concern would be using a product not really tested against the actual tests. Ultimately it comes down to trust when dealing with small blenders.

A famous American once said, "Trust AND verify." Be it API or European or Aisan certification, independent verification by a third party that's internationally recognized is important, not only to vehicle manufacturers, government purchasing agents and businesses, but also to many of us.

1996 Camry V-6, 278,000 miles; Mobil-1 5W-40
2003 Tundra V-8, 4WD, 145,000 miles; Mobil-1 5W-40
2008 Tacoma 2.7L, 4WD, 65,000 miles; Mobil-1 0W-30

DEO, 5W-40, CJ-4/SN
OED, 15W-40, CJ-4/SN
XL, 10W-40, SN

100% rubbish

The ones I listed are certified & licensed by API (& ILSAC where listed).
See:
http://eolcs.api.org/licenseAgreementService.aspx?id=995
http://eolcs.api.org/licenseAgreementCertification.aspx?id=995

Let me ask you this: why can Mobil make a 15k mile oil that is fully licensed and Amsoil can't? What makes them different?

If it's not ZDP levels, or base oil interchange, then what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back