Ammunition Cost Doubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
These same panic buyers will be wanting to sell that $800 LE trade in G22 once the pandemic is over. The gun market will be flooded with said firearms, and many other brands as well. That will be the time to buy them for pennies on the dollar! ;)
Thats never happened in the past. What makes you think it will happen this time?

Thats never happened in the past. What makes you think it will happen this time?
Oh, it HAS happened! I have the rewards of it from 2 of the guns I currently own, and an AR upper I sold.
The one poor guy was threatened by his wife, if he didn't sell the AR upper he bought in January 2013 (right after the Sandy Hook shooting) for an un-Godly amount he paid, he would be sleeping on the couch. I got it at 1/2 of what he paid for it. :cool:
Trust me, they're out there. All you have to do is be patient.

Time to resurrect this thread. Just had a request from a relative to hook him up with a case of 9mm. I went online to see what was available. Nothing in bulk available from the usual suspects (SGAmmo, Natchez, PSA, etc.). On Ammoseek, ball ammo, brass case, new domestic ammo clocked in around 80 cents a round and up (50 round boxes only). The self defense loads were around 2 bucks a round.

I think that puts it at over 4 times the price at the start of the year, if you can actually get it. Fortunately, I'm well stocked except for a .38 Special revolver I bought in March.

I took 3 NRA courses over a 2 weekend period. "Personal Protection Inside the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, and Defensive Pistol"..very good courses btw. The instructor chose to allow me to range qualify for all 3 courses at one sitting and it required less than 50 bullets...lol.

I had stocked up back in 2012 right before the election and Sandy Hook. I made it through that shortage without having to buy anything. When ammo got plentiful and cheap again I re-stocked. I've currently got about 8 or 9 cases of .22LR, about 4-5 cases of 9mm, 2 cases of .45 acp, around 2500 rounds of surplus 7.62x54R bought back in 2012 before it went to $200 a can and 100 rounds of 30-30 in case I'd need to take large game. When I bought the 7.62x54R it was some of the last I saw on stripper clips so I bought several cans. I took the ammo off the stripper clips, stored it in a 20 cal. can and listed most of the stripper clips on eBay. The money I made off the stripper clips paid for all 7.62x54R and made a few hundred dollars profit. After Sandy Hook everyone was complaining about no .22LR or how much it was selling for. I thought to myself then at the price/availability .22LR had been for years there was absolutely no reason most people couldn't have had a good stock pile and not have much money tied up in it. I think when the shortage of .22LR started in 2012 I had about 3 cases on hand. I could have sold it at a huge profit but, then I wouldn't have had any to shoot. When .22LR got plentiful again I restocked with more than before. Some of it is bulk pack ammo that I bought as low as $11.39 for 500 rounds (2.3c per round) and some of it is better quality that I was able to get for about $17 a brick (3.4c per round) delivered to my door. I'm always keeping a check on ammo prices and when they're right I buy lots of it so when hard times hit I'm not paying $30-40 for 50 rounds of target 9mm or $100 for a brick of .22LR.

Just start reloading. If you don’t have a Lotta money just start shopping craigslist. There’s always some old shooter that bites the dust and his wife is selling the whole shebang for a few hundred dollars if that. It really doesn’t matter if you get the Cadillac of automated reloaders or just a single stage like mine. They don’t wear out they don’t age they just go on and on forever and you’ll always see them for sale and yard sales and craigslist.
For most people shooting need you can use a set of LEE scoops To gauge your powder rather than an expensive set of scales and charge throwers . I’ve got both and believe me there’s not enough difference to say so for most of us shooting a hole in paper. Brass cases are available as once fired online by the by the bag of 100 to 500 to 1000 and they’re cheap if you look around. For small stuff like 38 specials you can just load rounds fairly light and cases last almost indefinitely themselves. Reloading is stone simple if you gave half a brain and use it.
Casting bullets is equally simple especially handgun. Lee molds are about $22. Just find a scrapper snd buy Scrap lead. I’ve been using straight lead , no antimony for a while now. Just powdercoat them using a #5 cottage cheese tub using the Shake n Bake method . Shake hell out of a small amount of powder and a handful of bullets. Then tweezer them base first onto a tray that fits an old toaster oven. I just set the timer and walk away. There’s all sorts of times people use but the 20 minutes I use is plenty. Let em cool some then I use my gloved hero of the hand to knock em into a tub of water. Supposedly that hardens the lead some. Then I size them and later load them up. in retrieved bullets every one still has all the coating and my leading is zero in the barrel. Simple and cheap this stuff hust takes a little time🤗

I've got all the equipment to cast and reload, with the exception of dies and molds for .38 and 9mm.

What powder do you use to coat the cast lead bullets, the ratio (i.e. 1 teaspoon of powder to 50 bullets), and oven temp?

Time to resurrect this thread. Just had a request from a relative to hook him up with a case of 9mm. I went online to see what was available. Nothing in bulk available from the usual suspects (SGAmmo, Natchez, PSA, etc.). On Ammoseek, ball ammo, brass case, new domestic ammo clocked in around 80 cents a round and up (50 round boxes only). The self defense loads were around 2 bucks a round.

I think that puts it at over 4 times the price at the start of the year, if you can actually get it. Fortunately, I'm well stocked except for a .38 Special revolver I bought in March.
Ammo is better when it costs more.

Just start reloading. If you don’t have a Lotta money just start shopping craigslist. There’s always some old shooter that bites the dust and his wife is selling the whole shebang for a few hundred dollars if that. It really doesn’t matter if you get the Cadillac of automated reloaders or just a single stage like mine. They don’t wear out they don’t age they just go on and on forever and you’ll always see them for sale and yard sales and craigslist.
For most people shooting need you can use a set of LEE scoops To gauge your powder rather than an expensive set of scales and charge throwers . I’ve got both and believe me there’s not enough difference to say so for most of us shooting a hole in paper. Brass cases are available as once fired online by the by the bag of 100 to 500 to 1000 and they’re cheap if you look around. For small stuff like 38 specials you can just load rounds fairly light and cases last almost indefinitely themselves. Reloading is stone simple if you gave half a brain and use it.
Casting bullets is equally simple especially handgun. Lee molds are about $22. Just find a scrapper snd buy Scrap lead. I’ve been using straight lead , no antimony for a while now. Just powdercoat them using a #5 cottage cheese tub using the Shake n Bake method . Shake hell out of a small amount of powder and a handful of bullets. Then tweezer them base first onto a tray that fits an old toaster oven. I just set the timer and walk away. There’s all sorts of times people use but the 20 minutes I use is plenty. Let em cool some then I use my gloved hero of the hand to knock em into a tub of water. Supposedly that hardens the lead some. Then I size them and later load them up. in retrieved bullets every one still has all the coating and my leading is zero in the barrel. Simple and cheap this stuff hust takes a little time🤗

People aren't going to be able to find primers, no sense in buying 1K work of reloading stuff without primers to go with it.

I've got all the equipment to cast and reload, with the exception of dies and molds for .38 and 9mm.

What powder do you use to coat the cast lead bullets, the ratio (i.e. 1 teaspoon of powder to 50 bullets), and oven temp?

HF red was great but now gone a year or so. HF Yellow works ok but like their black and white just don’t want to cover well. Eastwood sells some for not much more and does a good job. Why some work and others don’t I can’t say but it’s true. If you want them pretty in one go just follow what you tubers say to use and stick with those . Remember, your half arsing by shaking that cottage cheese container for the static charge not using a proper powder gun Putting some air soft bbs in the tub helps generate static electricity better.
Check out YouTube and forums like the firing line for the process. Just remember some of these guys take this to an extreme science. It isn’t. About the only way to screw his up is set that toaster oven to broil and melt some bullets . Many just put the shook out powdered bullets in a small wire basket to bake them. They do clump up and tear off chunks here and there. That’s why I just tweezer them out one At a time and stand them in formation then bake. Do your cooking on the garage like you would smelting lead ect. I wear a shop mask when messing with the Powder coat ,shaking It. I doubt breathing it is good For you🤔

Sounds like the relative is part of the problem not the solution if they can't source and order for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back