Ammunition Cost Doubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, perhaps, we’ve become a nation that fails to plan and think ahead.

I think, perhaps because we live in a world where overnight shipping is the norm...and instant gratification is assumed.

When that’s threatened. Folks panic and rush out to get things they wouldn’t ordinarily worry about.

IMHO...

I'm surprised no one is crying foul about price-gouging. I'm not but there's always someone who moans about high prices as if they are unfair or something. Disappointing and a bit worrisome, yes. But unfair, no.

I think, perhaps because we live in a world where overnight shipping is the norm...and instant gratification is assumed.

When that’s threatened. Folks panic and rush out to get things they wouldn’t ordinarily worry about.

IMHO...

Guess trying to prevent being caught with your pants down later than sooner is better than nothing. Just history repeating itself once again - it's always been that way when good times turn to bad.

I'm surprised no one is crying foul about price-gouging. I'm not but there's always someone who moans about high prices as if they are unfair or something. Disappointing and a bit worrisome, yes. But unfair, no.
If the price is rising, and you don’t like it...don’t buy it. There are businesses who look at the long-term relationship with customers, and those who capitalize on those in a weak spot. The wholesalers list it for sale and pallets disappear in minutes.

I know I will shoot, I have been buying for years, decades really. I like the busy ranges lately as there are lots of new shooters who don’t pick up their brass. I offer to pick it up for them if they don’t want it. Scored 1k .223 today lying on the ground. Primers are stocked up, pounds of powder ready...let’s shoot!

I ordered 600 rounds of 9MM from Federal. It came out to $ .37/round. Kinda high, but the best I could find. There's almost nothing available.

I just never got into reloading. It's cheap training ammo, but cant replicate premo stuff I use. For training though, I prolly should have gotten into it.

The owner of SGammo, Sam Gabbert, who I've been buying from for years has been screaming "stock up now, you'll never see prices this low again" for the past couple of years before the latest crisis hit. In his newsletters now he says "if you bought and stocked up low, you may want to sit this one out for a while". You can't get more honest than that with your customers.

IMHO...
Gross generalization. There's plenty of folks that save for a rainy day. I'll bet a paycheck that they outnumber the whiners that can't plan for or take care of themselves.

Gross generalization. There's plenty of folks that save for a rainy day. I'll bet a paycheck that they outnumber the whiners that can't plan for or take care of themselves.

Well, of course it’s a generalization, in an effort to explain the panic buying. There are enough people for whom what I said IS true to spark the panic buying across multiple consumer categories...not every person is the same. It’s a discussion of trends and psychology, not a precise sociological analysis...

In this, and other threads, I’ve discussed that I am prepared, for many eventualities, including ammo. I have enough to enjoy shooting regularly, at my desired frequency, for the next several years, without buying any more, plus enough defensive ammo in several calibers that I simply don’t have to buy until the prices come down.

But you have to admit, that there are a lot of folks who don’t have the food, TP, bottled water, ammo, whatever for contingencies. When nitrile gloves flew off the shelves five months ago, and became unavailable, I was annoyed, but since I had two boxes in my garage, and two boxes in my shop, it was just that, annoyance. Because I was prepared.

I live in hurricane country. We had one blow through on Monday. My wife and I didn’t go out and buy anything...didn’t need to. But stores ran short on bottled water,,etc over the weekend...

Sigh...

Well, of course it’s a generalization, in an effort to explain the panic buying. There are enough people for whom what I said IS true to spark the panic buying across multiple consumer categories...not every person is the same. It’s a discussion of trends and psychology, not a precise sociological analysis...

In this, and other threads, I’ve discussed that I am prepared, for many eventualities, including ammo. I have enough to enjoy shooting regularly, at my desired frequency, for the next several years, without buying any more, plus enough defensive ammo in several calibers that I simply don’t have to buy until the prices come down.

But you have to admit, that there are a lot of folks who don’t have the food, TP, bottled water, ammo, whatever for contingencies. When nitrile gloves flew off the shelves five months ago, and became unavailable, I was annoyed, but since I had two boxes in my garage, and two boxes in my shop, it was just that, annoyance. Because I was prepared.

I live in hurricane country. We had one blow through on Monday. My wife and I didn’t go out and buy anything...didn’t need to. But stores ran short on bottled water,,etc over the weekend...

Sigh...
Agreed. We own a home near the beach and 30 yards from the bay in CMC, NJ. I sat through this last storm with winds up to 76mph. We made the mistake of of not thinking about it the day before and went to the nearby Acme to buy some things for a recipe my wife wanted to try. Place was packed with the usual suspects.... buying up stuff like the world was going to end. Lost power for 6 hours..... big deal.

If you have an Academy Sports locally check their site daily. Our local stores get their orders on Tuesday and Thursday. I check a few times daily. They are only letting people purchase 3 boxes per day per store of 9mm 223, & 556 I think. Order online and wait for them to let you know its ready to pick up.

This past Wednesday morning I managed to snag 3 of the 150rd Browning 124g boxes for $32 a piece. Then later that night some 100rd Winchester boxes showed up at another store so I ordered them at $22 a piece.

750 rounds total for around $160. Picked them up today. You have to do a little more legwork but it'll pay off. Over the last few weeks I've managed to pick up about 3500 rounds of 9mm from Academy at an average of about 24cents a round.

Why all of a sudden are people panic buying ammo? I got spanked for asking this before but this started in the spring and bullets won't prevent a cold or flu and the riots weren't stopped by the mass purchases of bullets . I am having a hard time with this buying. binge when for the past 2 years ammo was at rock bottom prices and now people are bragging about ammo purchases at top dollar prices.

Riots might not be stopped any more by bullets, but the looting of your place of business or home just might be. Ask the Los Angeles Korean grocery and convenience store owners.
My main fear right now is people who haven't had the proper training seem to be buying firearms and ammo. Disease fears are keeping them from getting proper training and practice. I'm not sure how that's going to work out for them.

Riots might not be stopped any more by bullets, but the looting of your place of business or home just might be. Ask the Los Angeles Korean grocery and convenience store owners.
My main fear right now is people who haven't had the proper training seem to be buying firearms and ammo. Disease fears are keeping them from getting proper training and practice. I'm not sure how that's going to work out for them.
These same panic buyers will be wanting to sell that $800 LE trade in G22 once the pandemic is over. The gun market will be flooded with said firearms, and many other brands as well. That will be the time to buy them for pennies on the dollar! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back