Ammo prices and shooting ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to do a lot of shooting, but when ammo prices went through the roof, I stopped shooting altogether. My hope was to wait out the high prices and they would return to normal. It's been what, 10 years now since ammo prices doubled or tripled, with no indication that prices will ever go back down to a normal level. .22 ammo is still hard to find, and very expensive compared to what it was. I have decided to just bite the bullet, pun intended, and pay the price so I can shoot again. I'm not going to live forever and I enjoy shooting. I feel all of this waiting is just wasting time. Where do you guys buy your .22 ammo? I've checked with the online places and most of the stuff they have available is the ultra expensive stuff, everything else is always out of stock. Most of the local places near me that sell .22 ammo is almost always out of stock. I can't find it anywhere. Another issue that contributed to my absence from shooting is a lack of places to shoot. I used to shoot on a guy's private property and he didn't care what we used for targets. We used to shoot cans, gallon milk jugs filled with water, paint balls on golf tees, old lawn mower engines, heck, he even had an old junk car out there we used to shoot. He has since sold his property, now the only places I have available to me are shooting ranges. The problem with them is they only allow shooting paper targets. That's it. There is no reactive target shooting allowed whatsoever. Shooting nothing but paper targets is extremely boring. I can still shoot reactive targets at my brother-in-law's place, but he lives 4 hours away, so it isn't like I can run out there to do some shooting whenever I feel like it. Where do you guys shoot, and are you content shooting nothing but paper targets?

When i am only allowed to shoot paper targets. I fixate on getting as accurate as i possibly can and that is how i get past the potential bore of it. As for 22 ammo at this point pick up pretty much anything if you can find it under 6 cents per round but my favorite bulk is cci blazer and aguila of any sort. I find my local 22 ammo at academy, walmart(s), cabelas, atwoods and other farm stores that have ammo so im spoiled for choice.

I shoot mostly paper. The targets at the range* to which I belong can be programmed to turn 90 degrees, face and back, at an interval that you specify. This makes shooting challenging and is identical to qualifying courses that I regularly shoot. The range is also climate controlled, so summer shooting is pleasant, as is winter.

One nice thing about being a member at this range is the ability to make a range reservation. I show up, minimal wait, and go shoot. No monthly limit on number of reservations. They also offer classes and shooting events.

My ammo stash is sufficiently robust that I’m not worried about prices. I shoot when I want. It’s been a very busy summer for me, so, I’m not shooting as often as I would like, but that’s a time issue, not ammo.

* https://freedomshootingcenter.com/

Ammo is getting back in stock, prices still pretty high. $84 for 800 22lr Federal. I have been shooting indoor paper targets. It does get boring but the only outdoor shooting is in the desert near me and it has been 100+ consistently since June.

Attachments

• A0356487-FB2B-4EE0-8E91-915EDBC34AE1.jpeg
    A0356487-FB2B-4EE0-8E91-915EDBC34AE1.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 33
This weekend while checking out the ammo shelf at my local sporting goods store, I saw they had 22LR in stock. It was priced at about $40 for a box of 300. Not terrible compared to what I've seen in the last few months, but still higher than I'm paying. I've still got a pretty good inventory from when the prices were still reasonable. So I've put a hold on buying ammo for a while.

Here in Utah there are plenty of places where I can shoot reactive targets. I am fortunate enough to be able to go out to the desert North of the Great Salt Lake. There are plenty of places to shoot.

Good luck on finding somewhere close to you.

Can't you go out into the forest,desert etc and go shooting? Even us in California can do that.

As for buying ammo I'm too cheap to pay the currant prices. I saw some Aguilla .22 colbri ammo. For $1 a shot. No thanks.

We can't buy ammo anywhere. Has to be bought from a licensed seller and requires a back ground check so not many ranges will be doing that.

I have tons of 9 mm a customer gave me and if I was to go shooting I would only shoot that.

.22lr
I picked up a couple 425packs of blazer for 35 each at cabelas.
they also have some super x 300 or 325 count for around $30

Its pretty hit or miss to find it.

Was also having fun with the subsonic cci quiet-22 hunting rounds.. I have heard louder farts:LOL: than my marlin 25n bolt action firing that stuff.

9mm is almost worse but at least I have good luck finding the premium stuff.. not exactly what I want to target shoot with but pay to play I guess.

I'd say the new base price for .22lr is about 10cents/pc low as 8cents with a sale or luck.
plenty around 12-13cents, premium cci stinger etc around 15-18c

Cabelas usually has tons of .223, some 308, whole aisle of 5.56,
a little .17hmr and .22mag
45auto and various other when you catch them on restocking day.

Shotgun they had about half an aisle but I didnt look at it..

this was both avon oh and triadelphia wv

.223 was around $65-$70 for 100
5.56 was cheaper.

Last edited:
Grampi, I was just at a Rural King and they have plenty of .22LR ammo. Not cheap, but they have tons of it.

They have lots of .223 and .308 ammo, too. They actually had rare .38 Super ammo with a warning sign for those who think they can shoot it in a .38 Special revolver.

I'm able to safely shoot on my 5 acres. My favorite thing to shoot is bottles and cans. However, with my health nut wife and no drinking, it takes a long time for me to collect enough plinking matter.

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1113 2.JPG

Uh, Skyactiv,

About those pictures………thanks for posting, but I’ve never seen .223 ammo weighing in at 122 grains.

And at $.81 cents per round, that ain’t exactly “rockin the Casbah.”
And while I have never had an issue with Norma cartridges, it seems a little sketchy that they would advertise “Highly Reliable” on their label.

And, yes. It’s good to see a lot more ammo on the shelves this past couple of months.

50c for 9mm and 25c for .22LR is pretty darn ridiculous. The ban on Russian ammo won’t help.

I do need to get better with reloading.

That said, it wasn’t 10 years ago… there was lots of low priced ammo right before 2020 and it’s ills came around…

Hi.
Do Norma have a Factory in the US? Your Norma Ammo is way cheaper than we pay for the Swedish stuff.

Uh, Skyactiv,

About those pictures………thanks for posting, but I’ve never seen .223 ammo weighing in at 122 grains.

And at $.81 cents per round, that ain’t exactly “rockin the Casbah.”
And while I have never had an issue with Norma cartridges, it seems a little sketchy that they would advertise “Highly Reliable” on their label.

And, yes. It’s good to see a lot more ammo on the shelves this past couple of months.

Lower left of the 50 round boxes show "55." Assuming it's 55 grain.

I'm blessed at my range. 80 Member limit and we all own the club. All 200 acres. We have 2 shooting ranges and a good sized trap / 5 stand field. I like shooting in the open field (steel plates hang from supports) in the beautiful sun! Feels so good! Most times when I go I am the only one there.

I have a good local gun shop and range. I mostly shoot 9mm. I haven't been to the range in over a year just because I refuse to pay >$0.50/rnd for 9mm and don't want to shoot through what I have.

This is one of the longest ammo {shortages} I can remember. I went to Sportmans Warehouse in Nampa . Sunday at 10:00 to buy some Wipe Out cleaner and they were out of it ! There were people waiting out side the store to see if there was primers and Ammo . Ammo was sparse and not at bargain prices.

Last edited:
Can't you go out into the forest,desert etc and go shooting? Even us in California can do that.
In OH it's illegal to shoot anywhere except at shooting ranges, or on private property with permission. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has land I can shoot on, and I don't own any myself...

It's been what, 10 years now since ammo prices doubled or tripled, with no indication that prices will ever go back down to a normal level.
I don't know where you have been looking for the last decade, but your statement is incorrect. Yes, there have been periods of scarcity and high prices over the last ten years, but there have been equal times of plenty and low prices also. Prior to each of the last three elections the industry was practically giving ammo away with sales, mail-in rebates and other incentives.

In 2018/19, all calibers were there for the picking with excellent prices. In 2018/19, all calibers were there for the picking with excellent prices.
Examples:
Remington 9mm @ $9.00 a box/50 with a $5 mail-n rebate. Crazy cheap! 40SW $11/box. 45ACP $15/box, etc
Federal hunting ammo, buy 4 boxes get $20 mail-in rebate.
223/5.56 Winchester and Federal for $9.00 a box/20 + mail-in rebates.
22LR $0.03 ea for bulk Federal, Win, CCI and Remington

We are now in another period of shortages and high prices. Availability is getting better. Prices are starting to come down. Barring some other event (pandemic, political, geo-political, etc) ammo should slowly continue to come back in stock. Prices will be a little higher than before due to inflation, but should be reasonable. When prices and availability come back around, I suggest people to buy it cheap and stack it deep. Gone are the days of stopping by Walmart on the way to the range to grab a box or two for that afternoon's fun.

Another thing I don't understand is why more plants that produce ammo aren't built. The demand is there, why not be able to meet demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back