.22 ammo report & target ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jstert: Thank you for your nice post and suggestion. I was never a revolver kinda person. When it comes to ammo, I prefer low cost to shoot & readily available, two of the reasons I purchased the SR22. I'm purchasing ammo (different brands) for about $.04 to $.06 per round and I'm great with that. I'm hoping 9mm ammo won't be too much more but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I have the new Glock generation 5 9mm it's a cool gun but I am more for inexpensive .22 shooting. The Glock is for home defense and I bought it brand new. It's the cat's meow or automatic dependable pistols.

You, sir, are now where I want to be one day, to own a .22 and a 9mm pistol (for home defense & range).
With all the suggestions given to me, on here and in person, Glock is on top of my research list. My brother owns a G19 that he showed me when I was visiting him last summer. When I visit him next, I'll have to shoot it with him and see how I like it.

Originally Posted by Eosyn

Deja: I was told S&W are the lowest quality (QC) of the well known named manufacturers. From your post, I'm assuming that's an accurate statement.

To S&W's credit, they paid shipping both ways and fixed it in a timely manner when I warrantied one (two?) of them. Not all manufacturers will pay shipping both ways, or fix things in a timely manner. But, yeah, I wanted to like the M&P more, and if it were priced lower to make up for its quality issues I would have. I like the overall design, just not so much the execution. Maybe they're better now.

I have similar feelings about the S&W SD9 VE. It's sort of like an economy car. It will get you to your destination, but you won't particularly like the journey.

If you want something inexpensive to if nothing else just try for a while, consider a Taurus G2 for around $200. Don't let the price fool you. Even people who hate Taurus grudgingly admit it's good. My sister just got her carry permit and for the past couple years wanted an SR9c after trying mine. Maybe she didn't try my G2 back then, but she visited recently, loved it as soon as she picked it up, and loved it even more after shooting it.

That Glock 17L is a beauty. I'm really liking that G34. Anyone here have experience with Springfield Armory firearms, specifically their 9mm? I'm looking into them too. Would love a Browning or Sig, but they're a bit pricey.

Slick17601, so the CCI Blazers are decent ammo? outdoorlimited.com have a brick of 500 on sale for $19..99 (save $50 it claims). I might buy a brick or two and see how their shipping rate is. Hope it's nothing like Targetsportusa.com where it cost me $17.xx for fed ex shipping.

You cant beat the performance of Blazers for the price. Talking high velocity ammo , of course. In rifles the cheapest ammo I shoot is CCI SV and SK Standard +. Gotta buy ammo by the case to get the best deals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by EdwardC
I like plated rounds to keep the barrel from leading, if you have a choice, I mean.

That means I have to clean the gun more often, right? I was told to clean the gun after every shooting. That should solve that issue?

Not necessarily more often, just may need to scrub a little harder to get the lead out. My usual cleaning method of running swabs through the barrel until they came out clean didn't work. I had cleaned it after each shooting session, but found the accuracy was getting a little loose. I went through with a wad of Chore-Boy copper cleaning material and scraped kind of hard and got decent sized bits of lead come out of the rifling. I've read that if you shoot some plated and periodically, it can clean out the lead. You'll probably be just fine though. I wouldn't let the lead nose ammo stop you from shooting, that's for sure.

Coincidentally, I just got an email that my Ruger 10/22 finally shipped to my FFL!

Slick: Yeah, the best deals are in a case, however, a brick of 500 for $20 is not bad at all. That's just 4 cents a round. Think I might just buy other brands in 50 counts to see how they fire in my SR22.

Ed: Congrats on your Ruger 10/22. Would you mind posting a pic here when you get it? Would love to see it.

Astro: Those are the targets I'm using now at an indoor range. bought 100 of them from Amazon. They're also stickers. I can peel the target off and stick it to a cardboard box and shoot it. Think I'll start with that when Spring arrives and I go shooting on my father-in-law's farm. Here's a couple from last week's indoor shooting. 20 shots per target.

2019-01-22-08-47-15.jpg

2019-01-22-08-48-17.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Marlin 60 and a Browning Buckmark, both are .22s. I used to shoot them a lot, but not so much since .22 prices shot through the roof. CCI and Federal ammo work well in both guns, but I really enjoy shooting Aguilla Super Max hypers in the pistol. At 1750 fps they really pop, and actually give a bit of a recoil. It's almost like shooting a .38. I don't use the hypers in the Marlin as I've heard they are hard on the receiver and spring. I may get back to shooting one of these days if ammo prices keep coming down, but I doubt they'll ever get back down to the prices they were before all of the stupid hording began...as far as targets go, I enjoy shooting paint balls sitting on golf tees. I shoot them from about 25-30 feet with my 60 (which has a scope). They are difficult to hit, but it's easy to tell when you do hit one because of their bright color...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
Where are you shopping Grampi?

Current .22 ammo prices are back down, in bulk, there is 3 cent/round .22 ammo...

I buy CCI for 4 cent/round. If you can't afford to shoot at that cost, perhaps it's time to sell your guns?

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rimfire-ammunition/22-lr-ammo

I didn't know they were that low...sounds like I need to start shooting again...

Originally Posted by Astro14
Where are you shopping Grampi?

Current .22 ammo prices are back down, in bulk, there is 3 cent/round .22 ammo...

I buy CCI for 4 cent/round. If you can't afford to shoot at that cost, perhaps it's time to sell your guns?

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rimfire-ammunition/22-lr-ammo

Yep the finally stopped for some part anyway gouging people. I had a stash of 22LR and refused to pay their elevated pricing. About 10 years ago I bought 10 bricks at Cabela's now that I can make a buy again at $19 and something a brick I've picked up some more. The stash habit doesn't just work for oil.

Just curious, how much were the .22 ammo during the hoarding period? I'm paying about 4 to 6 cents per round. I didn't' think it could get any lower than that.

Just curious, how much were the .22 ammo during the hoarding period? I'm paying about 4 to 6 cents per round. I didn't' think it could get any lower than that.

Before the hoarding period I used to get those 500 round boxes of Federals from Walmart for $11.99. During the hoarding period the price literally doubled. I don't know what it sells for now, but I bet it's nowhere near $11.99...

Originally Posted by grampi
I have a Marlin 60 and a Browning Buckmark, both are .22s. I used to shoot them a lot, but not so much since .22 prices shot through the roof. CCI and Federal ammo work well in both guns, but I really enjoy shooting Aguilla Super Max hypers in the pistol. At 1750 fps they really pop, and actually give a bit of a recoil. It's almost like shooting a .38. I don't use the hypers in the Marlin as I've heard they are hard on the receiver and spring. I may get back to shooting one of these days if ammo prices keep coming down, but I doubt they'll ever get back down to the prices they were before all of the stupid hording began...as far as targets go, I enjoy shooting paint balls sitting on golf tees. I shoot them from about 25-30 feet with my 60 (which has a scope). They are difficult to hit, but it's easy to tell when you do hit one because of their bright color...

You're not doing your Buckmark any favors by shooting that ammo either.

Billt: Wow, that is a high price. Glad I wasn't shooting during that dark time.

Grampi: 500 rds for $12? man, that is awesome. a brick of 500 is going for around 18-20 bucks now, online.

Slick: I agree with your assessment about Aguilla ammo. Out of the 3 brands I've shot so far, the Aguillas are the only ones that truly jammed on me.

I'm purchasing ammo (different brands) for about $.04 to $.06 per round and I'm great with that. I'm hoping 9mm ammo won't be too much more but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Copper case 9 mm will run around 18 to 20 cents per round on sale. Maybe a bit less if you buy in large bulk. Aluminum case 9 mm is the cheapest.

Originally Posted by Slick17601

At least the Browning Buckmark has a factory nylon recoil buffer, that helps prevent the gun from bashing itself to pieces with high, or hyper velocity ammunition. They are fairly easy to replace. I keep several around as spares.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/390165/browning-buffer-browning-buck-mark-rifle-pistol-post-2000

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B5150005

Originally Posted by Slick17601

Really? I was told by a gunsmith the Buckmark would handle the hyper stuff just fine...I would also like to pick up a bolt action rifle for shooting the hyper stuff...they won't beat that up...

Last edited:
Billt: Wow, that is a high price. Glad I wasn't shooting during that dark time.

Grampi: 500 rds for $12? man, that is awesome. a brick of 500 is going for around 18-20 bucks now, online.

Slick: I agree with your assessment about Aguilla ammo. Out of the 3 brands I've shot so far, the Aguillas are the only ones that truly jammed on me.

That's odd. I've never had any problems with Aguilla ammo. The only ones that have jammed on me were the CCI Velociters (I think they're too long), and the Remingtons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back