.22 ammo report & target ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Eosyn
Originally Posted by billt460
Are you buying this 9 MM for the range, or for possible concealed carry as well?

The 9-mm is mostly for the range and home defense, if needed (though I have a 20-ga. shotgun for that too). Even though I'm not considering concealed carry right now, it can not be ruled out for the future, as I get more comfortable and proficient with firearms.

I ask because if you are not going to carry it, you might want to consider a Glock 34 over the 17. It has a longer barrel, and adjustable target sights that make it much easier to shoot accurately at the range. I don't have a 34, but rather a Glock 17-L long slide. It's slightly longer than the 34. The 34 is more popular because it is much more common. And because it is widely used in IDPA competition. (The Glock 17-L won't fit inside the IDPA box).

Glock 17-L.jpg

Dang it billt, every time I see your 17L, I have a revived desire for a longer barrel/slide 9mm. I have a 19 that I absolutely love and I feel I can shoot well, but a 34, maybe a 34 MOS sounds like a blast to shoot.

Just for reference, Eosyn, my second pistol after the SR22 was the Glock 19. My belief then, as it is now, is that you can't really go wrong with a Glock. You can probably do better (based on personal opinions) and you can definitely do much worse, but if you end up hating the Glock, you can easily sell it off.

I have the new Glock generation 5 9mm it's a cool gun but I am more for inexpensive .22 shooting. The Glock is for home defense and I bought it brand new. It's the cat's meow or automatic dependable pistols.

I gave up on shooting most non-paper targets. Clean up is annoying, and it can be hard to tell where you hit if you're trying to be more accurate than just hitting it.

Paper bullseye targets that turn a different color where the bullet hits are of course nice. For cheap, cardboard or similar and drawing a circle on it with a marker works.

I put together a target holder made out of PVC pipe for a cheap and light and portable target holder. Works nice enough until shooting from longer distances, missing, and the bullet hits the PVC pipe and breaks it.

Shooting at metal of some kind especially at longer ranges is fun. You can hear the ding to know you hit it. Though if you miss, you don't know which way you missed. Be careful, if you mount the metal solid you might get ricochets.

Range/home handgun, one of my favorites is a Taurus PT92 chrome version. It's a Beretta 92 with the safety where it should be, and it looks cool.

SR9c has good size for a carry gun, but my SR9/c love was short-lived for a range/home gun since the grip feels thin, and the stiff slide is annoying.

That Glock 17L is a beauty. I'm really liking that G34. Anyone here have experience with Springfield Armory firearms, specifically their 9mm? I'm looking into them too. Would love a Browning or Sig, but they're a bit pricey.

Slick17601, so the CCI Blazers are decent ammo? outdoorlimited.com have a brick of 500 on sale for $19..99 (save $50 it claims). I might buy a brick or two and see how their shipping rate is. Hope it's nothing like Targetsportusa.com where it cost me $17.xx for fed ex shipping.

Originally Posted by DejaVue

I put together a target holder made out of PVC pipe for a cheap and light and portable target holder. Works nice enough until shooting from longer distances, missing, and the bullet hits the PVC pipe and breaks it.

That sounds interesting. Can you post a pic of it? I like to get some ideas of how to build my own target holder for outdoors. Wood will prob be the material that I'll use. Other ideas are welcome though.

Originally Posted by DejaVue

That sounds interesting. Can you post a pic of it? I like to get some ideas of how to build my own target holder for outdoors. Wood will prob be the material that I'll use. Other ideas are welcome though.

I might be able to post a picture of one of mine later today, I mentioned this as well.

http://asheepdogproject.info/2011/04/18/how-to-build-your-own-target-stand/

Is one example.

You can change the design, mine has a lower bar as well and is made out of smaller 3/4 pipe, then I use rings available at any office supply to attach the card board by going around the pipe and through the card board. People also use clips. I don't glue mine together for portability and repair. You can also find designs meant to hold two wood post for standard IDPA targets.

IME you will want to make the base out of larger pipe and weight them, I used sand.

As for long barrel Glocks, make sure you try one out, I had a 34 and a 40MOS and wasn't crazy about either one of them, bit nose heavy. Admittedly I'm really not crazy about any glock, but I was less crazy about those. I would trade two of em for a CZ or a Hi Power.

I also had a SA Range Officer in 9mm, It was a good pistol of excellent fit and rudimentary finish. I'm guessing you're talking more of the other line though, no experience with those.

I made a folding wood target stand out of 2x2 and a small piece of plywood. Some cheap turnbuckles and parachord keep it upright but easily collapsible. If you're interested I can get a pic or two.

For handguns the sky is the limit on your choices, and nearly all of them are good ones. It really boils down to what floats your boat. Of course glock is the old fall back favorite, but the reality is that there are several other extremely reliable handguns out there. Look into the M&P line from Smith & Wesson (both the original and the 2.0), CZ, Walther, HK and FN. There are also several less expensive options by way of the Canik, AREX, and EAA lines. They are Turkish made and of high quality but typically a fair bit less than then mainstream names - though on occasion you can find some really good deals on mainstream names too. I just bought a CZ P10C for $380 yesterday in fact.

Duckryder: thanks for the link. That looks awesome. I'm not a handy man so I'll read the article more in depth later. Good point about being "nose heavy" on the longer pistols. I'll definitely hold them in my hand before purchase.

Eric: I would love to see a pic or two of your project.

We have a guy at our local club who has made several of the PVC, "snip & glue" target stands for himself. He fills up the inside of the pipes with some type of that expandable foam insulation you squirt into walls and such. (I don't remember the brand). He said it prevents the pipe from shattering if hit with a bullet. It just makes a hole. He said they last much longer, and are a lot more stable that way.

Anyone here have experience with Springfield Armory firearms, specifically their 9mm?

Had an XD for a while. Before the "mod 2" design updates. It kind of looked and kind of felt like it had a breadbox on top, and they still are that way. Not as much as a Hi-Point 9mm, but more so than most others.

I don't recall any criticisms other than that. It had a great trigger. Note that some/all of them have the grip safety on the back, so if you want the safety there, there's only so many choices besides Springfield. If you don't want it there, you can tape it down, or probably disable it on the inside.

We have a SA EMP 4" lightweight champion. Basically a 9mm 1911 style pistol. Shoots and feels great, but a little pricey.

If I remember right, the Blazer 22lr are lead round nose, not copper plated? They'll probably shoot just fine, but I like plated rounds to keep the barrel from leading, if you have a choice, I mean.

For your first 9mm pistol, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock 15 or 17. They are the benchmark 9mm pistols. Simple. Sig have too many levers for me. It's a personal decision, but I don't like double action/single action pistols or decockers.

Go to the Dollar Store and buy a big pack of the cheapest paper plates they have . Find some of those vinyl political yard signs to staple them to . Get a Sharpie to draw a circle on the plate . You can't shoot much cheaper than that .

Originally Posted by Leo99
For your first 9mm pistol, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock 15 or 17. They are the benchmark 9mm pistols. Simple. Sig have too many levers for me. It's a personal decision, but I don't like double action/single action pistols or decockers.

My Sig has a mag release button and a takedown lever . That's it . Striker fired .

Had 2 or 3 S&W M&P. I can understand why people like them, the ergonomics are good, but they felt a little cheap, the night sights wore out fast, one night sight fell out I think, one had the coating wearing off of the slide when it was new, and the triggers are gritty. Maybe that's just some bad luck, maybe they upped the quality since then.

I might trust my life to a Glock, but it'd get me killed anyway due to dying of boredom.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
I like plated rounds to keep the barrel from leading, if you have a choice, I mean.

That means I have to clean the gun more often, right? I was told to clean the gun after every shooting. That should solve that issue?

Nomas: That's a great idea with political yard signs! LOL. I like it!

Deja: I was told S&W are the lowest quality (QC) of the well known named manufacturers. From your post, I'm assuming that's an accurate statement.

hello eosyn, glad to hear that you are enjoying your ruger sr22, it is a great semiauto. for your next handgun my suggestion cuts against the grain here, how about a revolver? they are a bit slower than a semiauto but you may find that you will spend more effort on the fundamentals, especially if you shoot single action.

a ruger single six single action revolver in 22lr/wmr will last forever, and 22wmr is alot of soft shooting fun with some oomph. a steel, not alloy, 38sp double action revolver can be run stout to soft shooting with the right ammo, though 38sp is more expensive than 9mm. a 357mag revolver gives you yet more ammo choices. a used 4" s&w revolver is a good value, and i have had good luck with cheaper taurus revolvers. best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back