In Need Of Some .40 Caliber FMJ Bullets

As a longtime fan of the .40 I'm convinced the 155/165 grain defense loads are a bit more effective than the more popular 180's. They can be brutal to shoot in CCW guns like a Glock 27 though.

Out of curiosity, do you prefer the 165 grain Gold Dots, or the 180?

I’ve got a bunch of 165g Gold Dot in .40. Ammo I was issued, and then bought, reckoning that good enough to be issued is good enough to use.

My issue load has changed to the Federal 180g (it doesn’t say HST on the box, but the rounds sure look the same).

So, clearly, my logic would apply to both loads.
Actually, the 155 grain...which are near impossible to find right now. I only have 100 rounds left of 155gr in Gold Dots. I have 180gr on hand, and I would definitely use them...but the 155 produce more energy both at muzzle and at target.

I also have Winchester Silver Tip HP's in 155gr that perform very well.

My son was able to buy (2) 50 rd. boxes of Herter's FMJ 180 gr. bullets for $19.95 each at Bass Pro Shops. The sales guy said to stop by on Tuesdays. That's when they get ammo in.
BTW, he said there was plenty of 115 gr. 9mm FMJ Herter's ammo on the shelf.

Actually, the 155 grain...which are near impossible to find right now. I only have 100 rounds left of 155gr in Gold Dots. I have 180gr on hand, and I would definitely use them...but the 155 produce more energy both at muzzle and at target.

I also have Winchester Silver Tip HP's in 155gr that perform very well.
My EDC bullets in my .40's are either Winchester Ranger T-Series (165 gr. 180 gr.), Winchester Ranger Bonded, and/or Winchester PDX1. My backup bullets are HST.
I call the Ranger T-Series expanded bullets "Flower Petals From HELL!"

Back