.22 ammo report & target ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi
That's odd. I've never had any problems with Aguilla ammo.

I bought a brick of Agulia Standard Velocity on sale at Cabela's a while back. It would cause hang ups in my Smith & Wesson Model 41, (which is supposedly designed for Standard Velocity), at least one or two every magazine full. That's a 10% to 20% FTF / FTE ratio in a premier .22 target pistol, that's not ammo sensitive in the least. Too much for me. I won't be buying any more of it. Not to mention the stuff smelled like decomposing road kill when I shot it.

Interesting feedback on the Aguila.

My only .22 is a Ruger Single Six.

Everything works great in that. Over a thousand rounds and not one failure.

I've got a few thousand rounds of Aguila, I'm not worried, since it's been fine in my Ruger.

Ditto on the CCI Mini-Mag. I tried the American Eagle 40 grain and there were a few misfire in each box.

For targets, I prefer the 12"x12" (5) Bullseye Splatterburst Target. My math is this: how much it costs per bullseye instead of how much per paper target. After all I'm only aiming for one dot on the paper, so aim small miss small.

This way it forces me to diagnose my shooting and make sure each round goes where I mean to regardless of caliber.

But i haven't been buying targets for a while, I just dumper dive at the range and look for "unused bullseye" and on a lucky day it can last me for half a year.

https://www.amazon.ca/50-Pack-Splat...48353016&sr=8-4&keywords=targets

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
Interesting feedback on the Aguila.

My only .22 is a Ruger Single Six.

Everything works great in that. Over a thousand rounds and not one failure.

I've got a few thousand rounds of Aguila, I'm not worried, since it's been fine in my Ruger.

That's where I'll dispose of what's left. I have several .22 revolvers. As you say, they'll eat anything.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by grampi
That's odd. I've never had any problems with Aguilla ammo.

I bought a brick of Agulia Standard Velocity on sale at Cabela's a while back. It would cause hang ups in my Smith & Wesson Model 41, (which is supposedly designed for Standard Velocity), at least one or two every magazine full. That's a 10% to 20% FTF / FTE ratio in a premier .22 target pistol, that's not ammo sensitive in the least. Too much for me. I won't be buying any more of it. Not to mention the stuff smelled like decomposing road kill when I shot it.

I've never shot their standard velocity stuff, only their hyper stuff...never had an issue with it...

Just got back from the range. I'm very happy to report that after shooting a total of about 200 rounds with all 3 brands of my ammo (CCI, Aguilla and Federal), no jams or misfires of any kind. Every single round went off smoothly. Still, the 2 jams I've had, happened with Aguilla ammo.

My bricks of CCI Blazer and Winchester Wildcats came in today after I got back from the range. Both are lead round nose. Can't wait to try them out next week.

Originally Posted by Eosyn

Ed: Congrats on your Ruger 10/22. Would you mind posting a pic here when you get it? Would love to see it.

Just picked it up
smile.gif
Obviously haven't shot it, don't even know when I'll make it to the range, but I'm loving it how it looks. I wanted a stainless barrel/receiver (I know, its still aluminum) and a wood stock. This one is an extra long 22" barrel, which I thought gave it a slightly different look, plus this model doesn't use a barrel band. It's pretty much the 10/22 I'd put together if I could choose. One thing I might end up swapping out is the trigger housing, might switch it to aluminum to match a little better. I'll likely throw an inexpensive 4x fixed scope on it.

IMG_20190125_192447.jpg

IMG_20190125_192428.jpg

Nice looking rifle, Ed. Very long barrel. Looks like it came right out of the wild west era. Thanks for sharing!

Remember, in a .22 rifle the optimum barrel length for velocity and performance is 16". Anything longer than that will result in lower velocity, due to bullet friction and drag within the barrel after the powder is consumed. .22 ammunition is designed to work in both pistols and rifles. Because of this it employs very fast burning powders. That powder is consumed completely in 16" of barrel length. (Even less with pistol match ammunition). All a longer barrel does, is afford you a longer sight radius, which will help for more accurate shooting with iron sights.

This is why a lot of manufacturers have reduced the barrel length of their .22 rifles from 22" to 18". The Marlin Model 60 being one of them. The older Model 60 rifles sold in the 1980's all had 22" barrels. If you look at most Olympic target rifles, the barrel itself ends after 16". Beyond that it is only a sleeve that is used for mounting the front sight. The only exception to this are some of the Biathlon rifles.

Yeah, the barrel is longer than would have been my first choice, but I'm no marksman or pro shooter, I'll never notice. I had checked out the ballistics by the inch site, it didn't look like there was a massive change at longer barrel length, especially comparing the real world rifle velocity measurements, but I would guess the firearm is the bigger variable than the barrel length there.

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Either way, I'm excited to shoot it (technically, it's my wife's gun)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back