Ammunition Cost Doubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I was notified by targetsportsusa.that my 9mm Wolf Ammo had arrived. It was almost double the price.

Has anyone been able to buy bulk ammo at much lower than this price? I have always found targetsports prices among the lowest and have stopped comparing. Not worth the trouble......but now....

Expect it to get worse. Either shoot less or be willing to pay absurd prices for common calibers right now (9mm, 223, etc).

Or take up reloading, but then you're dealing with primer and powder shortages.

Heck might as well just stop shooting until things calm down.

SGAmmo is where I usually go.
Have you bought lately? Went to the sight. The ammo I wanted was not available. Bit the bullet and ordered. I am doing training for 2 additional Instructor certs now and I will be using lots. I already have 1000 rounds. Will need 2000.

Last edited:
Have you bought lately? Went to the sight. The ammo I wanted was not available. Bit the bullet and ordered. I am doing training for 2 additional Instructor certs now and I will be using lots. I already have 1000 rounds. Will need 2000.
It’s been a few weeks since I have. I stockpiled awhile back. Check them often, they only ship what they have in stock, they won’t sell you ammo, then wait till they actually get it before shipping like a lot of their places do. I’ve had nothing but good luck with them.

Its just the normal supply v demand. I always went to the range during the week to avoid the crowds, many days I was the only guy there but I have noticed that the last several months the range is crowded every day of the week and the spent brass barrels are filling up in record time. I have almost completely switched to shooting bolt action .22

Might actually be a good time to try airsoft or pellet guns if you just want to punch paper in holes, and you can do that from the comfort of your backyard or basement.

Might actually be a good time to try airsoft or pellet guns if you just want to punch paper in holes, and you can do that from the comfort of your backyard or basement.
Not a bad idea. I have an RWS Model 48 in .22 cal. I haven’t shot in a while.

Good grief! Just before the virus hit I was trying to unload my Dillon, 30lbs of brass, bunch of bullets, etc etc.
Now i'm back to reloading for myself and a couple of friends. Had forgot that I enjoyed doing this. LOL

I was looking for bulk 45ACP, 7.63x39 and subsonic 300B/O. I usually use ammoman but they were wiped out, all my local places were also wiped out. Found the 45 and 7.62 on sgammo but it was priced high. I'm presently building an ar15 in 7.62 because that is the ammo which I have the most of (have a couple of AKMS). I shoot suppressed 90% of the time, 7.62 is loud even when suppressed though.

Yep, tough times...

Interesting contrast between this thread, and the thread linked here:

For many reasons, I consider having a couple year’s worth of my shooting ammo adequate.

In the linked thread, one was suggested “half a clip, if you need more, move” which is fine, I suppose, if you have a clip-fed weapon, and never shoot, and don’t ever plan on using that weapon....

I have stopped shooting 38s and 9mm and am now enjoying my single action Heritage 22 cal pistol,,,yes its back to small arms, and it is still fun, you can shoot for hours and have plenty of ammo and a lot more fun,,,yesterday me and my cousin were plinking shots at 50 yards and doing well for 2 old dudes,,,,we went went back to the 25 ft paper targets --- shorter range lol

There is some astonishing volatility in ammo prices...driven by big spikes in demand.

Guns & Ammo had an article on the supply side of the equation. Wish I could find it and share it here, but, essentially, there are huge capital costs in the equipment used to make ammo. That constrains production output. Ammo manufacturers are reticent to invest huge sums of money to increase output for a short term demand, because they’ll be stuck with large capital costs when demand returns to normal.

When you couple that constraint with changes on raw material prices, and big spikes in demand, like the one that happened in 2013-2014, you get shortages.

The psychology of shortage is interesting, too. Much of the demand increase comes from the perception that, “I won’t be able to get (insert product here).” So, people act on that fear, and rush out and buy (product). It’s an old, common effect. It’s why there were runs on banks, and shortages of key goods, during crises in the past. It’s all driven by the fear that (product) won’t be available, so the individual feels compelled to get some right now so that they won’t be left out.

Whether or not they need it right now, and whether or not the price is reasonable, they want it right now...

There is some astonishing volatility in ammo prices...driven by big spikes in demand.

Guns & Ammo had an article on the supply side of the equation. Wish I could find it and share it here, but, essentially, there are huge capital costs in the equipment used to make ammo. That constrains production output. Ammo manufacturers are reticent to invest huge sums of money to increase output for a short term demand, because they’ll be stuck with large capital costs when demand returns to normal.

When you couple that constraint with changes on raw material prices, and big spikes in demand, like the one that happened in 2013-2014, you get shortages.

The psychology of shortage is interesting, too. Much of the demand increase comes from the perception that, “I won’t be able to get (insert product here).” So, people act on that fear, and rush out and buy (product). It’s an old, common effect. It’s why there were runs on banks, and shortages of key goods, during crises in the past. It’s all driven by the fear that (product) won’t be available, so the individual feels compelled to get some right now so that they won’t be left out.

Whether or not they need it right now, and whether or not the price is reasonable, they want it right now...
While I agree, I remember Newtown, and I remember being short on training ammo in the aftermath. I had hoped to scoop some up in a month or two, but the riots, etc. pressed my timetable if I wanted some even halfway affordably. Artificial short creates real short, and the "why" doesn't matter when you've got empty mags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back