Ammo Shortage News Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been checking on line sites for .380.
Out of stock is all I see.
Even local Bass Pro and Cabela's same thing.
No shortage here you just have to remember all that .380 brass is recyclable. 3.0 Gr of powder a primer and a 90 Gr
bullet and you're good to go. In fact I just cleaned a classified number of .380 cases just this week.

still 20 cents per round for .22. 57 cents for steel 9mm. Keep paying those prices you ignorant hoarders.
How much per round of 22lr?
Call me what you want.
16176641921006915545834978280231.jpg

When I bought my first pistol I wanted a .45 ACP but the Glock was too big for my hands so my choices came down to M&P .45 ACP or Glock .45 GAP. I assumed if there was ever an ammo shortage it would be better if I stuck with the more popular caliber. I was wrong about that.
The last shortage 40 S&W was always available and Walmart and Sportsman Warehouse at pretty much the regular price , this shortage nothing.

Prices are slowly coming down especially .22's. At what point will supply greatly exceed hoarders's desire to hoard? In the case of .22's its available now at 16 cents and once in a while at 12 cents.

I have sharply curtailed my use of 9mm (50 cents per round) and will probably not buy .22 for at least 6 months at which time my 4000 rounds will be low.

If I need 9mm I will buy at no more than 40 cents/round.

This isn’t a hoarding issue...so, not gonna’ be fixed when “hoarders” are happy.

It’ll be fixed when:
1. new shooters, and there are several million new shooters, can get a little bit.
2. Existing shooters can replenish what they’ve been unable to replenish.
3. Supply chain can return to normal production levels.

Don’t underestimate # 3. Above. Raw materials, like copper, tin, and lead, have been affected greatly over the last year. So have supplies of intermediate components, like powder and primers, because of shortages of labor, and impacts to operations imposed by the pandemic.

Blaming “hoarders” is specious and convenient, but fundamentally flawed, analysis.

By the way, a friend’s wife is a new shooter. Bought a Daniel Defense 5.56mm pistol.

Couldn’t find ammo or magazines.

Sold her 500 rounds of quality mil-spec 5.56mm from my stash for what I paid (including sales tax) : $190. No markup.

Sold her four Daniel Defense AR magazines for what I paid.

Having more than a week’s supply on hand has shielded me, and by extension, her, from the current price shocks.

It’s not hoarding, it’s being prepared. It’s dollar-cost averaging into my hobby when I could get ammo for cheap.

Those who failed to prepare when times were good are like the grasshoppers in Aesop’s Fable about the ant and the grasshopper. They enjoyed the summer, while the ant prepared for winter.

Next time, be an ant. Summer will come again, and so will winter.

I would have to disagree Astro. IMHO its still hoarding I know folks in my little circle that buy everything they can. One guy resells the other two just continue to buy. And that's just my little circle. Statistics requires around 20 entries to be relivent but I still put my $$$ on hoarding. Although I can afford it(like all of us on here). I'm just not gonna buy for now.

I would have to disagree Astro. IMHO its still hoarding I know folks in my little circle that buy everything they can. One guy resells the other two just continue to buy. And that's just my little circle. Statistics requires around 20 entries to be relivent but I still put my $$$ on hoarding. Although I can afford it(like all of us on here). I'm just not gonna buy for now.
It's kind of like gas prices, every station is in a hurry to raise prices, but never in a hurry when it comes to lowering them.
I think this is how the ammo situation is right now.

I haven’t bought any ammo in the past year. I “hoarded” when it was cheap, so, I may be a “hoarder” in your eyes based on volume, but I’m not buying at these prices, so I’m not adding to demand.

Further, as you say, your sample isn’t statistically significant.

There is another, very real, very powerful, impact driving increased demand, that would be difficult to discuss under forum rules. Don’t discount that, either.

I get your frustration with the guys you know, but attributing the shortage to that bit of behavior is misplaced. The other factors are far more widespread. More universal.

Higher demand across a significantly larger number of shooters, and supply chain disruptions, is an ugly combination by itself. Ammo isn’t the only thing affected by supply chain disruptions lately.

Still, with all that, I’m seeing a tiny bit of softening in prices. They’re down just a bit from peak, and I find that encouraging.

My brother called Federal. He was told that production is 24 hours non-stop. Stated that wholesalers are sitting on supply for added profit. Federal stated that their manufacturing prices are the same and welcomed the phone call. Military and Law enforcement ammo has no relation to civilian production.

That may be true. No insight into what wholesalers are doing.

My local gun store (one of many) has a keen sense of what the market will bear. They’ve got lots of ammunition in stock.

At over $1.00/round for 9mm range ammo. Slightly higher for .45ACP.

Call it scalping if you like, it sure feels that way, but I’m just not willing to pay that.

But a lot of folks, including new shooters, who have no ammo, are, in fact, willing to pay that. I overhear the conversations as I shop (I’ve bought a few slings and other accessories lately, nothing at inflated prices) and that seems to be common: “I don’t like this price, but I don’t have any ammo, so, give me just a couple boxes.”

I don’t think they’re hoarders, because they don’t have any ammo, but they certainly are keeping demand high.

And Economics 101 continues to be validated.

Federal alone has billions of rounds backordered via wholesalers.

So, no matter the root cause(s), supply and demand will not return to balance for a while.

Even if there are hoarders, and they stopped tomorrow, it’s going to be a while...

That may be true. No insight into what wholesalers are doing.

My local gun store (one of many) has a keen sense of what the market will bear. They’ve got lots of ammunition in stock.

At over $1.00/round for 9mm range ammo. Slightly higher for .45ACP.

Call it scalping if you like, it sure feels that way, but I’m just not willing to pay that.

But a lot of folks, including new shooters, who have no ammo, are, in fact, willing to pay that. I overhear the conversations as I shop (I’ve bought a few slings and other accessories lately, nothing at inflated prices) and that seems to be common: “I don’t like this price, but I don’t have any ammo, so, give me just a couple boxes.”

I don’t think they’re hoarders, because they don’t have any ammo, but they certainly are keeping demand high.

And Economics 101 continues to be validated.
There are a lot of new guns being sold, so yes new shooters everyday buying ammo. I may get some at the .50 per round price, but i am not buying at $1.00.

The really bad thing about this, is new shooters limiting their practice due to ammo cost/availability. It worries me that there are new concealed carry permit holders with not that many days/ rounds of practice and little developed muscle memory under their belt.

"While hoarding is certainly not helping the situation, one can understand that type of response, especially considering the past 12 months have been such a roller coaster of anxiety. A greater concern is the opportunistic individuals who have chosen to take advantage of a crisis to line their own pockets. Scalping is a process that’s typically associated with buying hard-to-find sporting event and concert tickets at face value, then reselling them at inflated prices. The ammo crisis is tailor-made to attract this type of unethical entrepreneurship as well."

"While hoarding is certainly not helping the situation, one can understand that type of response, especially considering the past 12 months have been such a roller coaster of anxiety. A greater concern is the opportunistic individuals who have chosen to take advantage of a crisis to line their own pockets. Scalping is a process that’s typically associated with buying hard-to-find sporting event and concert tickets at face value, then reselling them at inflated prices. The ammo crisis is tailor-made to attract this type of unethical entrepreneurship as well."
I can't argue with a single word that in that piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back