Ammo Shortage News Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw 9mm for like 76c/rd vs 90.

I passed. No thanks. I’ll buy a die and coated bullets before I pay that.
and do what? Are you sitting on a stockpile of small pistol primers? If not, SP primers are 400 per K now. If you have to pay going rates for the components to make ball 9mm, you can't hardly beat 70 cents a round.
70CPR is going to be the new winchester white box price, take a look on midwayUSA, they already have the new Vista April prices up. Midway doesn't artificially inflate prices and 115gr ball win white box is listed at 70 cents per round...when they get it back in stock.

and do what? Are you sitting on a stockpile of small pistol primers? If not, SP primers are 400 per K now. If you have to pay going rates for the components to make ball 9mm, you can't hardly beat 70 cents a round.
70CPR is going to be the new winchester white box price, take a look on midwayUSA, they already have the new Vista April prices up. Midway doesn't artificially inflate prices and 115gr ball win white box is listed at 70 cents per round...when they get it back in stock.
And wait to find some. I’m just fine.

it will come back down... or not... but I’m not going to bank on 70c being the new normal when stores can’t even keep stock on shelves...

My wife and I went to a Gun Show this morning. Very little brass for reloaders. A few tables had ammo. 9MM ball was priced at $40 for a box of 50. Saw a 250 round box of Remingtion UMC .45 for $250.00. There was much, much more defense ammo than ball ammo.

A couple of Saturdays ago, I had business to take care of just outside of Atlanta. To kill some time, I decided to go roam around Bass Pro Shops. The line to get inside the place before they opened was pretty long. I waited in the car since it was raining and pretty cold out. Once they unlocked the front door to officially open, I took my time to go in...in no real hurry.

Every single person that was in line outside had rushed to the guns/ammo counter. The counter was roped off with a one-way line with an entrance on one end and a kiosk where customers had to sign in and wait their turn. I'm sure most of that was Coronavirus policy while another was to keep everything orderly.

They had a good bit of ammo in various calibers to start off with. The limit was 2 boxes of the same caliber per customer. They had plenty of .22LR, 5.56, .223, 9mm, .40, .308, 7.62, .44Mag, .357, .38, 30-06, .270, 6.5CM, and so on. Apparently the shipments come in during the night on Fridays which leaves Saturday morning the time to be there.

I decided to see if I could score a box of .40S&W....and sure enough, they had exactly what I prefer to shoot. Speer Gold Dot JHP's (hence the screen name) box of 20 for $28.99. That's up about $9 since the last box of 20 I bought a couple years ago. The choices were pretty thin by the time I got to the cart they brought it all in on though.

A couple of Saturdays ago, I had business to take care of just outside of Atlanta. To kill some time, I decided to go roam around Bass Pro Shops. The line to get inside the place before they opened was pretty long. I waited in the car since it was raining and pretty cold out. Once they unlocked the front door to officially open, I took my time to go in...in no real hurry.

Every single person that was in line outside had rushed to the guns/ammo counter. The counter was roped off with a one-way line with an entrance on one end and a kiosk where customers had to sign in and wait their turn. I'm sure most of that was Coronavirus policy while another was to keep everything orderly.

They had a good bit of ammo in various calibers to start off with. The limit was 2 boxes of the same caliber per customer. They had plenty of .22LR, 5.56, .223, 9mm, .40, .308, 7.62, .44Mag, .357, .38, 30-06, .270, 6.5CM, and so on. Apparently the shipments come in during the night on Fridays which leaves Saturday morning the time to be there.

I decided to see if I could score a box of .40S&W....and sure enough, they had exactly what I prefer to shoot. Speer Gold Dot JHP's (hence the screen name) box of 20 for $28.99. That's up about $9 since the last box of 20 I bought a couple years ago. The choices were pretty thin by the time I got to the cart they brought it all in on though.
Actually not a bad price right now … many things are $2 a “pop”

I'm seeing less people at the ranges in past month or so. Ranges were packed in the Fall, but now way less people. Presumably due to ammo problem.

Anyone else seeing this?
I am getting a membership at our local outdoor range (Marriottsville), and getting in on the orientation classes is tight- no open slots.

I am getting a membership at our local outdoor range (Marriottsville), and getting in on the orientation classes is tight- no open slots.
The only difference I seeing is because of social distancing have our lanes are closed down. The rest are all busy. The guys there I know all seem to be shooting the same amount but then they all reload. I don't goes as often but that has nothing to do with ammo supply. I'm just limiting my exposure to COVID.

At some point, people are going to get tired of stock piling, and prices will come back down. When? Who knows could be 3 months , 6 months. But at some point. I doubt most people are shooting $3-400 a weekend, so they are just stock piling it up.

Stockpiling was when I was buying 1,000 round cases of Lake City XM193 FMJ for $270, delivered. Or 420 round ammo cans of Lake City M855 green tip in stripper clips for 35¢ a round, delivered.

The only difference I seeing is because of social distancing have our lanes are closed down. The rest are all busy. The guys there I know all seem to be shooting the same amount but then they all reload. I don't goes as often but that has nothing to do with ammo supply. I'm just limiting my exposure to COVID.
Your gun range allows you to shoot your own reloads? :unsure:

I've been finding that ammo is available at a few different sporting goods stores by shopping them in the late morning, about 10:00 - 11:00. By doing this I've been able to pick up 600 rounds of 9 mm in the last 4 weeks. I've paid as little as $13.99 for 115 grain Blazer aluminum casing and no more than $16.99 for Federal 115 grain brass casing. My son paid $25 for a 25 shot box of Hornady Critical Defense for me.

I've passed on the gun stores that are selling a box of 50 for $30+. It isn't necessary. A lot of stores, including my local Sportsman's Warehouse, are selling ammo for fair prices, so I'm doing my best to support them. But even the stores that try to keep prices fair can't always do so. I asked about .22 at one of the sporting goods stores that have always been fair in price. They told me that they had a pallet of 1400 round buckets of Remington Golden Bullet. But they were priced at $125/bucket. That isn't a terrible price, but since I have enough .22 on the shelf, I passed.

This weekend l was surfing the online sites where l buy ammo from. Ammo is starting to slowly go down, but not enough to write home about. I think, IMHO, that ammo had hit its peak increase in price and is FINALLY starting a very slow as a snail decrease in price.
Has anyone else seen the same happening where you buy ammo from?

This weekend l was surfing the online sites where l buy ammo from. Ammo is starting to slowly go down, but not enough to write home about. I think, IMHO, that ammo had hit its peak increase in price and is FINALLY starting a very slow as a snail decrease in price.
Blue its the same price off my reloading bench that it has been for the last 10 years!!

Yes me too. Stuff is not always sold out in hours, I've seen some be available for weeks now (not real desirable stuff but it's still there it wouldn't have been before). Price per round is slowly dropping as well.

I've been checking on line sites for .380.
Out of stock is all I see.
Even local Bass Pro and Cabela's same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back