Ammo Shortage News Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best case, and I mean best, it will last for another year. Shelves are bare, back orders are in the Billions of dollars, ammo prices are quadruple what they were 18 months ago, and everyone is acutely aware of the shortage, which ironically, stimulates demand.

As was seen with other commodities, shortage stimulates people’s desire for that commodity (e.g. toilet paper, paper towels, Clorox products). Since those commodities haven’t recovered yet, and the ammo shortage is lagging them, we’ve got a very long way to go.

One of my local gun stores told me, yesterday, as I was looking at an M1 carbine, that .30 carbine ammo “can’t be found anywhere”. I mentioned that I had some. His cash offer for ammo shocked me. I could trade my ammo for the carbine itself. We’re still deep in the peak demand if a gun store is willing to pay me three times what I paid for it, and they’re offering wholesale, with intent to mark it up.

I find all of this very difficult to believe. If retailers were getting ammo and selling out as soon as it came in then yes its a supply and demand problem but from the people I have talked to in the retail end they are saying they are not getting any shipments at all, so how can people be buying it. Either manufacturing has been cut or wholesalers are hording it and running prices up. If large companies like Walmart or Bass Pro or Midway cannot get any stock then where is it going.

Best case, and I mean best, it will last for another year. Shelves are bare, back orders are in the Billions of dollars, ammo prices are quadruple what they were 18 months ago, and everyone is acutely aware of the shortage, which ironically, stimulates demand.

As was seen with other commodities, shortage stimulates people’s desire for that commodity (e.g. toilet paper, paper towels, Clorox products). Since those commodities haven’t recovered yet, and the ammo shortage is lagging them, we’ve got a very long way to go.

One of my local gun stores told me, yesterday, as I was looking at an M1 carbine, that .30 carbine ammo “can’t be found anywhere”. I mentioned that I had some. His cash offer for ammo shocked me. I could trade my ammo for the carbine itself. We’re still deep in the peak demand if a gun store is willing to pay me three times what I paid for it, and they’re offering wholesale, with intent to mark it up.
I have people from Tampa, FL. that I have sold firearms to in the past, calling me to buy a firearm. They are actually willing to pay all FFL and shipping costs to get a firearm. My relatives that know I shoot a lot (well, used to) and know I have a HUGE stash, are calling and coming by to see if I will give/sell ammo to them. Several people that I have sold a firearm to here in La. have also called me for a firearm and ammo. In a way, it's kind of scary to think how far these people will go to get their hands on my ammo and firearms. But, I'm heavily armed at ALL times.

I have people from Tampa, FL. that I have sold firearms to in the past, calling me to buy a firearm. They are actually willing to pay all FFL and shipping costs to get a firearm. My relatives that know I shoot a lot (well, used to) and know I have a HUGE stash, are calling and coming by to see if I will give/sell ammo to them. Several people that I have sold a firearm to here in La. have also called me for a firearm and ammo. In a way, it's kind of scary to think how far these people will go to get their hands on my ammo and firearms. But, I'm heavily armed at ALL times.
When you wait until there is a shortage and then you panic their lack of planning is not your problem.

I have haD only minor issues buying a G19, 44, Sig P365, TX 22 in the last 4 months

There is plenty of ammo for sale on Gunbroker.com. There is no shortage if you are willing to bid
If you’re willing to pay over a dollar a round for 9mm, then yes, ammo is available.

But it’s a shortage in supply that drives those outrageous prices.

If gasoline went up to $10.00 a gallon this month, you wouldn’t say, “there is no shortage of gasoline”, you would say, “this gasoline shortage is epic!”

But that’s where the ammo market has gone - to four times the price.

It is simple supply and demand. Demand is up, supply is down, prices have spiked.

None available here at all save for a couple weird calibers. I keep seeing 25-70 and 3.5" shotgun shells.Absolutly nothing else.

In the past I brought home a box from WM every week or so. I have plenty but I still like to buy more when I can. Now WM is either unable to get any or has stopped selling ammo completly here.

Agreed. There are bare shelves here. Nothing for sale.

So, if most of the gasoline stations in your town had big signs with “no gasoline available” - you would say that there is a shortage.

You wouldn’t really say, “there is no shortage of gasoline”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back