Alaska Airlines AS1282 door blow out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Boeing was not taken over by MD, why did they adopt the MD logo as Boeing's new logo?
Boeing paid 14 billion in cash for MD’s shares. Boeing bought MD.

”Taken over” is specious. Boeing bought the other company. Full stop.

However, the corporate culture of the merged company became much more MD - risk averse, timid bean counters won out over the bold, decisive engineers.

The death of a multitude of good ideas, like Sonic Cruiser, the New Mid-sized airplane, and others, was replaced with timid focus on profits, evidenced by the outsourced production of the 787 and the engineering compromise known as the 737MAX.

A shame - a once great company brought down by lack of leadership.

Question... If the plug door was larger than the opening in the fuselage, (so as to seal tighter under pressure), why wasn't the fuselage itself torn up? From the photos it appears undamaged.

I remember a story on the DC-10? or some other large jet that had a problem with multiple instances of luggage doors blowing out, and I thought after that all planes were manufactured so that the doors could only physically open from the inside, built too large to fit through the opening.

Guess that isn't the case?

These doors open to the outside. This is a good feature for emergency exit, but they now depend entirely on the hardware not to pop open from the internal pressure.

Installing critical bolts loosely with the hope that someone else, perhaps weeks later, will remember to tighten them does not seem like a good practice.

Last edited:
Boeing is not the problem. All big Co's are the same. Its always been the people doing the work and running the show.
Yeah starts at the top. All big co's have the wrong people running everything.
And anyones business name can be ruined by just one bad employee.

Boeing is not the problem. All big Co's are the same. Its always been the people doing the work and running the show.
Yeah starts at the top. All big co's have the wrong people running everything.
And anyones business name can be ruined by just one bad employee.
Boing is a people! People make the company!
This is purely an organizational management issue. How the door blew out is an engineering issue, and that will be figured out. WHY is the key! Why did Boeing come to this point? I mean the rudder issues with MAX, asking for safety exceptions for MAX7. The NASA Challenger disaster is still THE MOST important case study of how organizational management can kill people. It is so well documented that it is best case study to not repeat mistakes. Yet, here we are.

And, FAA is keeping them grounded regardless of finished inspections:

"The FAA’s first priority is keeping the flying public safe. We have grounded the affected airplanes, and they will remain grounded until the FAA is satisfied that they are safe"

Boing is a people! People make the company!
This is purely an organizational management issue. How the door blew out is an engineering issue, and that will be figured out. WHY is the key! Why did Boeing come to this point? I mean the rudder issues with MAX, asking for safety exceptions for MAX7. The NASA Challenger disaster is still THE MOST important case study of how organizational management can kill people. It is so well documented that it is best case study to not repeat mistakes. Yet, here we are.

And, FAA is keeping them grounded regardless of finished inspections:

"The FAA’s first priority is keeping the flying public safe. We have grounded the affected airplanes, and they will remain grounded until the FAA is satisfied that they are safe"
Maybe wait for the investigation. Could be a simple, though serious maintenance error by Alaskan Airlines. After all, a good portion of its Max9 fleet has been returned to service after inspection.

Maybe wait for the investigation. Could be a simple, though serious maintenance error by Alaskan Airlines. After all, a good portion of its Max9 fleet has been returned to service after inspection.
The FAA seems keeping them on the ground.
The airplane is two months old. Highly doubt AS was tempering there, but we will see.
But this is just one incident. They are on shaky grounds for some time. Spirit had rudder issues few days ago, they are asking for safety exceptions from FAA for MAX7, 777 is 4 years behind, and Airbus delivered 200 more airplanes last year.

However, I am starting to think that Boeing might be the first major company of historic proportions that is falling to oblivion while people observe it in real-time on social media.
Perhaps.

Despite my criticism of the company, I am a shareholder and a fan of what Boeing can accomplish, when they focus on engineering, and not profit.

Perhaps.

Despite my criticism of the company, I am a shareholder and a fan of what Boeing can accomplish, when they focus on engineering, and not profit.
I am their fan, too. That is why this whole ordeal, which basically dates back to 787, is so aggravating.
I am afraid they did not change their culture after the MAX debacle because moving to VA indicates that they are more focused on lobbying than fixing organizational issues.

I am afraid that if they continue like this, Airbus will definitely become No1 and I would not disregard COMAC as a potential threat in 2 decades.

However, I am starting to think that Boeing might be the first major company of historic proportions that is falling to oblivion while people observe it in real-time on social media.

Have you heard about those little companies call Budweiser and target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back