Off-duty pilot in jump seat attempted to shut down engines on Horizon Airlines flight

It is, but he did it to himself, and he could have killed everybody on that jet plus people on the ground.

I feel for his family.
Yes it is sad, every aspect is sad. Sad for the loss of a skilled pilot, sad for the crew that went through the issue, sad for the family and ,sad for the company . It was not a good happening.

They are trying to make them legal in I heard......San Fran? don't remember.

Statewide but the Gov vetoed a bill that would have decriminalized limited possession as a state crime. They’re still illegal under federal law but there are limited clinical trials allowed. A lot of the discussion is about application in a controlled, regulated environment and not just self medication.

San Francisco's Board of Supervisors (it’s a combined city and county) passed a resolution urging the police to not prioritize arrest for possession of certain psychedelics, but it’s not a city ordinance per se. I’m not sure how much of a priority this is anyways, although I suspect it’s not. It’s also a bit of an odd setup with San Francisco International Airport. It’s outside of the city limits but owned by them and policed by SFPD.

Resolution supporting entheogenic plant practices, urging City law enforcement​
agencies that the investigation and arrest of individuals involved with the adult use of​
entheogenic plants on the Federal Schedule 1 List be amongst the lowest priority for​
the City and County of San Francisco, and urging the State of California and the United​
States Federal government to decriminalize entheogenic plant practices and their uses.​

WIth technology progressing, it seems like at some point we could make planes that default to auto pilot. An auto pilot that has the capabilty to land an aircraft.
This is already in existence, and would have not made a difference in this particular situation.

WIth technology progressing, it seems like at some point we could make planes that default to auto pilot. An auto pilot that has the capabilty to land an aircraft.
Just how would the autopilot handle a dual engine shutdown? What do you think it is going to do with a complete loss of thrust?

I heard the audio of the incident on the radio. The pilot was definitely as calm as if he was telling everyone the weather of their destination. Lol

Back