Alaska Airlines AS1282 door blow out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really not good news for MAX. 2 month old airplane. Luckily, no one was injured, and somehow, no one was seated in that row:

Appears it was the Mid-Aft door. Many on US carriers are “plugged” with a dummy-door. The interior trim even covers up any evidence there could be a door there. Not sure if this plane is this way, but I’m guessing yes as I don’t see any Exit signs.
IMG_5709.jpeg

IMG_5708.jpeg

Appears it was the Mid-Aft door. Many on US carriers are “plugged” with a dummy-door. The interior trim even covers up any evidence there could be a door there. Not sure if this plane is this way, but I’m guessing yes as I don’t see any Exit signs.

Seat are too close together for that to be configured as the exit row.

Wow that sucked the seat back and cushion off the frame!

I don’t know anything about airplane construction but maybe the panels weren’t diverted completely in that section?

The pressure should have firmly seated that plug. Not sure if the plug was defective or defectively installed by Boeing. Also consider that Alaska may have tinkered with it after they took delivery from Boeing.

Too soon to say if it's a one of or something about the plug that's across all Max. I'm inclined to say it's just this plane since Max has been around awhile.

This incident and the rudder nut aren't a great way for Boeing to start the year.

The pressure should have firmly seated that plug. Not sure if the plug was defective or defectively installed by Boeing. Also consider that Alaska may have tinkered with it after they took delivery from Boeing.

Too soon to say if it's a one of or something about the plug that's across all Max. I'm inclined to say it's just this plane since Max has been around awhile.

This incident and the rudder nut aren't a great way for Boeing to start the year.
Of course, it is too early. But Boeing has a serious PR problem. Entirely of their own making.

I'm not the most keen on flying... kind of a personal phobia, but this, along with the MAX issues/scandal/problems makes me only want to fly Airbus.

Side note -- is there a way you can see what plane you'll be on when scheduling a flight?

I'm not the most keen on flying... kind of a personal phobia, but this, along with the MAX issues/scandal/problems makes me only want to fly Airbus.

Side note -- is there a way you can see what plane you'll be on when scheduling a flight?

Yes, it's all there, including picking your seat, when you make your reservation. Of course the option to have a sweaty person who falls asleep and leans on you is extra, along with the screaming kid or non-stop cougher.

Just remember that when you fly Airbus, the pilots have a pullout tray in front of them and that's where the flight attendants sit. Ask them and they'll tell you it's true.

Something similar, but much worse happened in 1989 to a United 747 traveling from Hawaii to New Zealand at night. The front cargo door blew out taking several rows of seats with it, killing 9 people.

They managed to return to Honolulu in spite of having only 2 engines running on one side. Parts of the aircraft, and a few passengers went through the engines, causing them to fail.

One of the passengers who lost a son, and who was a mechanical engineer conducted his own "investigation" over a long period of time. And it brought to light how inferior the cargo door was designed. He even built a working model that proved it.

1704539156290.jpg

That would have been a thrilling flight, especially if sitting next to that window and looking out it at that same time. I bet if you had glasses on they would be missing, wonder how cold it would be?

One reason I don't like them flying over my place. Hope the door landed away from houses etc.
Probably have higher odds of getting hit by an asteroid compared to a part falling off a plane. Sounds scary, but I bet one is more likely to be hit by lightning (note, I'm not even sure how to start the research for this sort of analysis!).

Probably have higher odds of getting hit by an asteroid compared to a part falling off a plane. Sounds scary, but I bet one is more likely to be hit by lightning (note, I'm not even sure how to start the research for this sort of analysis!).
My Burr Oak would agree (twice) …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back