a '17 Accord CVT's issue

My son has an ‘18 civic stick shift - it is an AMAZING vehicle.
its funny that Honda is still struggling since the late 90s to make a good transmission without problems while at the same time they make one of the best manuals in the world!

another same code at '18 CRV; its in the 80s K miles

but there is no conclusion in the end

its funny that Honda is still struggling since the late 90s to make a good transmission without problems while at the same time they make one of the best manuals in the world!
Honda has been making great transmissions for quite a while now. Not sure what you are referring to. Every maker has problem children here and there but on the whole they have a good reputation.

Honda has been making great transmissions for quite a while now. Not sure what you are referring to. Every maker has problem children here and there but on the whole they have a good reputation.
i'm not complaining, I'm stating the facts; it is well documented over the years, starting from'98 thru today, Honda always has had issues with its powertrain, specifically transmissions and moreover in V6 applications

even though it's to the lesser degree in I4, it still happens here and there out of nowhere, such as in my case

Indeed. For a while Honda was known for its glass transmissions behind V6 engines. Ridgeline escaped that (but could still lose a trans due to coolant/ATF mixing in the radiator due to a sealing issue). The Ridgeline 6AT is known to have some issues too.

The V6's continue to take a beating, between VCM and still having a timing belt after all these years--while not a "problem" it's still just one more added cost that "many" would take issue with.

Indeed. For a while Honda was known for its glass transmissions behind V6 engines. Ridgeline escaped that (but could still lose a trans due to coolant/ATF mixing in the radiator due to a sealing issue). The Ridgeline 6AT is known to have some issues too.

The V6's continue to take a beating, between VCM and still having a timing belt after all these years--while not a "problem" it's still just one more added cost that "many" would take issue with.
this is why one sees Toyotas everywhere :D

Maybe. :)

[Full disclosure: Toyota fanboi here, but I’ll be first to admit they have more than a few skeletons in the closet, with 3.blow and 2AZ-FE at the top of the list.]
at least, it seems Toyota, their transmissions go on forever!

i'm not complaining, I'm stating the facts; it is well documented over the years, starting from'98 thru today, Honda always has had issues with its powertrain, specifically transmissions and moreover in V6 applications

even though it's to the lesser degree in I4, it still happens here and there out of nowhere, such as in my case

They had some issues in the early 2000’s and that reputation has stuck with some consumers. Again on the whole very few have issues.

so I took the car to mechanic today and he will be ordering a few parts to the car; he scanned it again for P0741 and drove it; he says this is most likely an electric issue; transmission shifts OK; He said Nissan CVTs when they star to acting up they go into a limping mode, so at least I can drive my Accord

He will go thru baby steps that includes addressing the clutch solenoid first, so that including removing the CVT pan. Once in there, he will replace the CVT main filter. He will remove the valve body and test it, he may order the new one if it needs to be done; Also, he will look at torque converter if there is a need, but he casts a doubt on it since they rarely fail at Honda vehicles

so i'm crossing my fingers here

so I took the car to mechanic today and he will be ordering a few parts to the car; he scanned it again for P0741 and drove it; he says this is most likely an electric issue; transmission shifts OK; He said Nissan CVTs when they star to acting up they go into a limping mode, so at least I can drive my Accord

He will go thru baby steps that includes addressing the clutch solenoid first, so that including removing the CVT pan. Once in there, he will replace the CVT main filter. He will remove the valve body and test it, he may order the new one if it needs to be done; Also, he will look at torque converter if there is a need, but he casts a doubt on it since they rarely fail at Honda vehicles

so i'm crossing my fingers here
This sounds like someone is about to fire a very expensive parts cannon...

hoping to read a happy ending! but as todays vehicles get more complicates issues will continue unfortunately + my choice the REAL manual tranny is not popular + it usually only needs a clutch job sooner or later + the lube is EZE!! clutch jobs around 2 G + depending on vehicle it can be a DIY. still looking for the answer! manufacturers love CVT's as they help mpg's + are cheep for them BUT not for you as repairs are usually a costly replacement unfortunately + unless you can afford trading often like DI sooner or later issues happen.

Last edited:
I had to special order a MT6 for the Accord- the V6 came with a traditional trans which is fine, the I4 was a CVT, definitely didn't want that.

oh well; i got the car back from the mechanic yesterday, after 6hrs total of his work on it

he changed the valve body control along with its harness, both filters, new fluid; yet, the problem was not fixed

he test drove the car after, and according to him transmission shifts just normal; also, he did not found anything out of ordinary inside the pen 🤷‍♂️

so i spent $1800 for nothing basically yesterday; this brings my total to $2.2K thus far, in the past month

so ill stop it here and wait 'till CVT completely ceases on me, but i doubt it will happen anytime soon

the car just tonight rolled over 69,000 on its odometer

oh well; i got the car back from the mechanic yesterday, after 6hrs total of his work on it

he changed the valve body control along with its harness, both filters, new fluid; yet, the problem was not fixed

he test drove the car after, and according to him transmission shifts just normal; also, he did not found anything out of ordinary inside the pen 🤷‍♂️

so i spent $1800 for nothing basically yesterday; this brings my total to $2.2K thus far, in the past month

so ill stop it here and wait 'till CVT completely ceases on me, but i doubt it will happen anytime soon

the car just tonight rolled over 69,000 on its odometer
I can’t believe your “mechanic” made you pay the bill for his parts cannon adventure.

I can’t believe your “mechanic” made you pay the bill for his parts cannon adventure.
yeah i see your point, but I've needed him than vice versa

so, no more looking for a needle in a haystack on my part

Back