a '17 Accord CVT's issue

If Honda doesn't support servicing this unit in the field, how did he get his hands on a valve body?
it is pretty straightforward thing to do; remove ATF pan an replace the part; i could do it too but it would take me a whole day per say

i was reluctant on my own, that's it

at least, he could reduce the price of his labor if it did not fix the problem in the end

but hey, live and learn

it is pretty straightforward thing to do; remove ATF pan an replace the part; i could do it too but it would take me a whole day per say

i was reluctant on my own, that's it

at least, he could reduce the price of his labor if it did not fix the problem in the end

but hey, live and learn

But if Honda doesn't support any field service of the CVT, why do they sell valve bodies?

i don't have all the answers

but is seems CVTs are still mysteries

I can’t believe your “mechanic” made you pay the bill for his parts cannon adventure.
Is it common for techs to comp 6hrs labor and parts?

I wouldn't expect to get out of it free of charge unless it's warranty work.

I'm curious if the OP is still getting the jumbled up PRNDL display and no codes. I still believe the PRNDL thing is part of the cause and not a symptom (an electrical, wiring or computer thing).

(could've swore I commented this on this thread before but idk where it went) -

P0741 is pretty much the death code of Honda transmissions. (Or at least the torque converter anyway, but usually by the time it's throwing a code there's debris in the rest of the trans as well)

I've seen some pretty high mile examples of these transmissions now and they are generally super reliable, but seems there's a dud every once in a while.

a bit of an update on my CVT; since starting having intermediate issues with my CVT back in December '22 the car did not improve or worsen its daily functionality. I put over 12K miles meanwhile on my transmission and it is still the same issue basically; After I contacted Honda back in January and they refuse to do anything the I set the matter aside;
Fast forward, about a month ago, on one of the Hondas forums, I stumbled upon few forum threads where some people were having the same symptoms as I have had but only in V6 models. For those cases, Honda already issued a service bulletin, and customers ,who were having issues with their regular transmission, could drop off their Accords for a software update, fluid change free of charge to remedy the problem. In csome cases they were getting a brand new transmission. Motivated by that, I contacted Honda of N.A. and I collected a few more details, so they issued me an case number, and it remains to be see what will happen;

I was wondering if anyone here knows what are my chances of getting some if not all $$$ for transmission replacement by Honda?

I have a service bulletin attached too, for 2013-17 Accord V6; My car emits exactly the same symptoms with a P0741 Code

IMG_0583.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 8.51.29 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 8.51.29 PM.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 34
a bit of an update on my CVT; since starting having intermediate issues with my CVT back in December '22 the car did not improve or worsen its daily functionality. I put over 12K miles meanwhile on my transmission and it is still the same issue basically; After I contacted Honda back in January and they refuse to do anything the I set the matter aside;
Fast forward, about a month ago, on one of the Hondas forums, I stumbled upon few forum threads where some people were having the same symptoms as I have had but only in V6 models. For those cases, Honda already issued a service bulletin, and customers ,who were having issues with their regular transmission, could drop off their Accords for a software update, fluid change free of charge to remedy the problem. In csome cases they were getting a brand new transmission. Motivated by that, I contacted Honda of N.A. and I collected a few more details, so they issued me an case number, and it remains to be see what will happen;

I was wondering if anyone here knows what are my chances of getting some if not all $$$ for transmission replacement by Honda?

I have a service bulletin attached too, for 2013-17 Accord V6; My car emits exactly the same symptoms with a P0741 Code

View attachment 165550
I contacted Honda about the same issue not too long ago. They also said they couldn't do anything since the car is out of powertrain warranty. I'm at almost 100k miles (98k) and it seems like the CVT trans "jerking" when coming to a stop has gotten worse. Changed the fluid twice already. Once at 50k miles and the 2nd one was close to 90k. It's a known issue in these CVTs. Honda won't do jack about it.

I also contacted them about the timing chain tensioner issue.

Last edited:
I contacted Honda about the same issue not too long ago. They also said they couldn't do anything since the car is out of powertrain warranty. I'm at almost 100k miles (98k) and it seems like the CVT trans "jerking" when coming to a stop has gotten worse. Changed the fluid twice already. Once at 50k miles and the 2nd one was close to 90k. It's a known issue in these CVTs. Honda won't do jack about it.

I also contacted them about the timing chain tensioner issue.
you can also try to replace that small filter at the top of transmission, it may help alleviate the problem; I'd replace fluid again, and at least you don't have a code that states anything is wrong in your case perhaps. I have that code that pops up daily, especially in city driving conditions

according to the service bulletin above, Honda is willing to do something if your car below 80K miles, that's why I'm doing it, my car is at 78K now

yet, I think the transmission will last a long time in it IMO; I took it recently to the dealership for diagnostic again because Corporate Honda wants details, and my local dealership filled for goodwill on their own but I'm very weary of their practice so I did it on my own anyway :D

my Accord is in tip top condition, less its transmission of course; assuming all high prices of the cars out there, its well worth it for owner/owners nowadays to fix cars and keep them running a long time

Honda wants nearly $7K in my case, which is 5K for new unit and parts approximately, plus $2K for labor involved

Glad I opted/ordered the 6MT for my '15. If they had the traditional auto with paddles- might have been sold on it but at the time Nissan was a horror show with cvt's. It's one thing to present an inferior product to the public but improve its reliability rapidly, but I felt we were being saddled with a product that would be costly to maintain and bring down the resale value of vehicle. BTW, non of the jap transmissions impressed the hell out of me- even the weak azzed 4L60 can be built well and reasonably priced.

View attachment 165550
This should be interesting- the v6 trans was not a cvt.

Back