a '17 Accord CVT's issue

I'm adding this story to my list of reasons to avoid CVT's.
Or at least figure in the cost of an extended warranty for comparison purposes.
I tried to buy an indie service contract for my
14 Nissan Rogue Select as i like the car. None I checked would cover the CVT in the fine print. Factory contracts should I would guess.

My Suzuki has a JATCO trans and it acted up once at only 14K miles. Got a 'transmission overheating' warning. Car went into limp home mode. Let it cool off and took it to a dealer and they reflashed the computer. No problems since then but I have been changing the CVT fluid every other oil change or so.

Could be you have a computer problem. Does your engine have the VCM? I disabled it on my son's Honda Odyssey and it runs smoother. When those activate the torque converter and engine mounts take a beating.

I'm adding this story to my list of reasons to avoid CVT's.
Or at least figure in the cost of an extended warranty for comparison purposes.

Honda CVTs have really been pretty good, with very few issues of any sort reported on Honda forums. I think one complication is that there are no dealer-serviceable parts in the CVT itself: if there’s a problem it’s shipped back to Honda. In this case, it sure seems the dealer is less than competent, immediately going to the nuclear option rather than opting for a proper diagnosis.

I did have a CVT replacement but it was because of a leaking seal between the torque converter and the rest of the gearbox. In other words, a problem that really had nothing to do with being a CVT.

Have you priced out transmission solenoids lately?
Paid $120 a few years back for new oem solenoid pack for a Chrysler. I’m sure hondas are more, but no I haven’t priced one lately. Where they at these days?

Paid $120 a few years back for new oem solenoid pack for a Chrysler. I’m sure hondas are more, but no I haven’t priced one lately. Where they at these days?
Transmission solenoid inflation >> auto parts inflation or inflation in general.
I think they caught on that some people were actually repairing their transmissions instead of being fleeced at the transmission shop for a "new" transmission, and decided to jack transmission parts prices to make sure that they still got their cut.

I think one complication is that there are no dealer-serviceable parts in the CVT itself: if there’s a problem it’s shipped back to Honda
This👆. Honda does not sell the solenoids and/or valve body separately, adding to labour costs after trans removal; hence the estimate to replace the unit entirely.

so an update, but not in fact :D

I spoke to Honda Customer Relations dept.,of course just to upfront person over the phone, and in a nutshell this was it is not a Honda problem; In the news, it seems Honda does not sale whole a lot of cars nowadays, and they were hit by the chip shortages hard;
OK, fine i'll help you Honda

Also I found the independent shop to evaluate the situation, but he won't be helping me before Monday next week

I'm driving the car to work...

meanwhile, the car makes sure that is lit very good

IMG_3223.jpeg

it crossed my mind to sell it as is, like a mechanic opportunity :unsure:

so an update, but not in fact :D

I spoke to Honda Customer Relations dept.,of course just to upfront person over the phone, and in a nutshell this was it is not a Honda problem; In the news, it seems Honda does not sale whole a lot of cars nowadays, and they were hit by the chip shortages hard;
OK, fine i'll help you Honda

Also I found the independent shop to evaluate the situation, but he won't be helping me before Monday next week

I'm driving the car to work...

meanwhile, the car makes sure that is lit very good

Help us out here, please!

Exactly what are you trying to tell us in the above bolded paragraph?

Honda is saying your problem is not their problem? They’re not selling a lot of cars owing to chip shortages?

it crossed my mind to sell it as is, like a mechanic opportunity :unsure:
Methinks you'd take a bath. Worse, what would have you left? a bit of cash to buy... what car?

For now it moves. It might be grinding itself into oblivion, but from what little I know of these CVT's, that seems like what they do when they go bad--so if this has gone bad, perhaps the damage is already done, just not to the utterly dead stage just yet.

Maybe snag a rental in the meantime? bum rides? drive as little as possible? make plans for when the dealer does take it back, and then needs it for 3 weeks to swap out?

Not from Honda's perspective!
I would imagine these days, dealers would just swap out units** from a reman center,
I had one across the road from where I worked last. Tried to get a job there but no luck.
We used to rebuild MT at my garage but anything other than seals and modulators and and dump and fills and filters went to the local "AAMCO" joint

MOVERAS

It could be just fine to drive. If it’s a solenoid problem, or a bad wire to the solenoid, or even if a seal holding pressure to the lockup clutch let go, it’s simply going to drive around with a less-connected feel with the CVT belts functioning fine while the torque converter simply runs in an unlocked state. That’s the sad thing here … a multimeter checking for V from the TCU, and checking for continuity across the right pair to the solenoid from outside the case would eliminate a few variables.

I have found an independent car shop that is going to look at the car on Tuesday, meanwhile I commute to work and back home with it

also I gave it a consideration, my next car it will be a sick shift vehicle!

I have found an independent car shop that is going to look at the car on Tuesday, meanwhile I commute to work and back home with it

also I gave it a consideration, my next car it will be a sick shift vehicle!
My son has an ‘18 civic stick shift - it is an AMAZING vehicle.

I doubt it is a mechanical problem. These are some of the most reliable CVT's on the market. Not saying it isn't possible, surely it is but you have statistics on your side.

I ran into an issue with my CVT; Yesterday after the work, when I hit a road and within 2mnts I got an alert on my dashboard, the very first time

View attachment 133062

I pulled to the side, shut it off and stepped out of the car; I popped the hood, went under the car and nothing out of ordinary, no burning smell, no leaks; I got to say maybe in past 20 days i've noticed a somewhat change in CVT mode/shiffting; I could sense it being my daily but not an average Joe I'd say. I managed to replicate the problem and here is the image from this morning. I scanned the car with my basic OBD and no codes shown for it. I shut off the car again, wait few moments and the error message was gone.

so Honda people, before I go to the dealer I want to get some insight on what it may be an issue here

the car has 68K miles at the moment and I changed drain and fill CVT fluid at 30K and again at 60K miles

Help and Thank You
You need a scanner specific to Honda Acura that can read TCM, BCM, ABS, ECU. The code is going to be in the TCM, not the ECU.

Back