a '17 Accord CVT's issue

Hate to say it but the OP from that thread also had a CVT and his Canadian dealer ended up replacing the transmission

Seems wild at under 25,000 miles!

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 1.57.18 PM.png

At your mileage, I would press for a goodwill replacement from Honda. Your dealer should be an advocate, especially as you have evidently been a good service customer. A Honda reman CVT replacement is around $5k (I know this), but Honda should be willing to cover the parts (2/3) if you pay for the labor.

This would be my approach at this point.. maybe link your thread so corporate can realize how ridiculous the situation is since you changed the fluid twice already!!

https://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 2.02.38 PM.jpg

I have a 2008 Sprinter MH with a diesel 3.0 engine. I last changed oil Oct 2020 and have driven it 750 miles. My son told me no need to change the oil, since the manufacturer calls for oil change every 10,000 miles (but also states 2 years). I feel the oil should be changed because of the time element. Please advise if the oil should be changed now, or if it is ok to continue to use the unit as is. Thank you.

Hate to say it but the OP from that thread also had a CVT and his Canadian dealer ended up replacing the transmission

Seems wild at under 25,000 miles!

View attachment 133233

This would be my approach at this point.. maybe link your thread so corporate can realize how ridiculous the situation is since you changed the fluid twice already!!

https://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations

View attachment 133234
Yes you can find them more online

My thing is the car and it’s transmission has babied just like my other Honda product, now with 105k miles

My Accord has that radar and camera upfront I think that has something to do with this, it’s the first generation of its kind and it is very intrusive, sensitive and overall unrefined

Last edited:
But again... Do these other Hondas have the jumbled up PRNDL indication on the dash?

I'm one of the bigger wasters of CVT fluids or ATFs in general because I like to DIY change them often if it's easy enough to do, but you are IMO chasing your tail changing fluid again and stressing about fluid level with this concern. I don't believe this is a fluid/level problem at all.
Of course; anytime it’s something wrong you go thru a multiple steps of solving the problem
I want to a square one checking the fluid level, but in the end has nothing to do with this code id say

At your mileage, I would press for a goodwill replacement from Honda. Your dealer should be an advocate, especially as you have evidently been a good service customer. A Honda reman CVT replacement is around $5k (I know this), but Honda should be willing to cover the parts (2/3) if you pay for the labor.
I’m guessing I’m out of luck on multiple fronts, due the holiday season since they are closed now

I have a 2008 Sprinter MH with a diesel 3.0 engine. I last changed oil Oct 2020 and have driven it 750 miles. My son told me no need to change the oil, since the manufacturer calls for oil change every 10,000 miles (but also states 2 years). I feel the oil should be changed because of the time element. Please advise if the oil should be changed now, or if it is ok to continue to use the unit as is. Thank you.
I think you need to start a new thread in the maintenance sub-forum.

My thoughts? doesn't need to be done, but you sure won't harm anything by doing so. Can't hurt to go by the manual, and I'm guessing the value of the vehicle greatly exceeds the cost of an oil change.

Honda's have the low charge system but you can trick that into running at the higher voltage by turning on the headlights or the air conditioning system. They only go to the low charge voltage for the battery when there's no extra load on the system. So if you want the system to run at the higher voltage simply turn one of those items on.

Was the filter changed when the CVT fluid was changed? There is a small filter it's located on the upper right side of the 2.4 l engine which is actually part of the transmission. Most people remove the battery to get easier access to it. There are a couple of O-rings that need to be replaced whenever you replace that filter but I think they come in the package with it. It's a pretty small filter so it might be a good idea to change it if it hasn't been changed. As the fluid warms up it becomes thinner and thinner fluid will flow better through a filter that's partially clogged. So that's one good hint that there's a possibility that the filter might need changed.

There is a YouTube video about changing the CVT fluid and filter on a Honda CVT but I only saw that once out of all the YouTube videos of watched so it might be tough to find and I don't feel like looking for it right now. You'll have to do some searching to find it if you want to see where that filter is located.

Last edited:
Are there any firmware updates available for the transmission?
they did not tell me anything about it; it is a sale secret :D

and this is why they say simply, replace the unit

IMG_3170.jpeg

I totally get it!

Friend had 2014 Accord CVT fail at 13000 miles during first year of ownership. Limped it to dealer and they replaced it under warranty but did not say what had gone wrong. Dealer was not allowed to open up the tranny before sending it back to Honda.

the code that i have, its a pretty common

It’s disappointing that the dealer has moved to “replace transmission.” This could be as basic as a bad connection in a wiring harness. Someone with a shop manual could, at the minimum, presumably ohm out the solenoid from the harness to see if it’s an electrical issue related to that single part, and depending on the design, replace the single part. Yes, there would be some labor involved, but it could $500 in labor and a $60 part would be far less than a new transmission. plus, assuming it’s got hydraulic test ports or pressure sensors, some basic troubleshooting could provide deeper diagnostics. it doesn’t sound like the dealer has an experienced crew for this kind of repair.

A toque converter is not the transmission. I don't replace a Muncie m21 in a 67 Chevelle when it needs a new clutch.

The dealer should have a big diagnostic tree for that code. They sound very happy to just be lazy and do a r&r with a reman. I would get the Zone rep out there and have a sit down with the Service manager.

That’s my issue with CVTs; and one thing I didn’t like about the Subaru Forester we bought back in ‘17. Non problems so far @ 60,000 miles. Our previous Subaru Outback had the 4EAT auto trans & we didn’t have one problem with it for 18 years & 186,000 miles, all I did was change the trans fluid every 50 or so thousand miles. The engines have about the same hp, yes the Forester does perform better with the CVT than the old Outback did. The chronic issue with the Outback was the head gaskets which failed 2x over that time.

so i did transmission fluid exchange at the other Honda place just today; 12 qts total

lets see what happens next; I haven't noticed much of the difference in car performance afterward

code is not there yet; i'm thinking first Honda place erased at the time

I think all those year hondas have a super long extended warranty on the CVT's, check that out before doing anything with it.

so i did transmission fluid exchange at the other Honda place just today; 12 qts total

lets see what happens next; I haven't noticed much of the difference in car performance afterward

code is not there yet; i'm thinking first Honda place erased at the time
Did you ask them to break and remake the connectors? While they are under there.

12 qts? I m pretty sure that's incorrect

I don’t know what to say. When the shift indicator is all crazy looking and or blinking it means internal problem with the transmission. With that said it was usually a shift solenoid on a regular AT. I’m not sure how that would apply to a CVT.

Quick google search for the P0741 says that it could be the TCC solenoid and if that’s easy to change I don’t see any harm in doing so first.

If you can DIY a solenoid, you can also bench test said solenoid to determine if it's really bad instead of just throwing parts at it.

It’s disappointing that the dealer has moved to “replace transmission.” This could be as basic as a bad connection in a wiring harness. Someone with a shop manual could, at the minimum, presumably ohm out the solenoid from the harness to see if it’s an electrical issue related to that single part, and depending on the design, replace the single part. Yes, there would be some labor involved, but it could $500 in labor and a $60 part would be far less than a new transmission. plus, assuming it’s got hydraulic test ports or pressure sensors, some basic troubleshooting could provide deeper diagnostics. it doesn’t sound like the dealer has an experienced crew for this kind of repair.
Have you priced out transmission solenoids lately?

Back