$8000 bottle of booze!

When I toured the Buffalo Trace distillery several years ago, the guide whispered to me that despite the 10 or so Buffalo Trace brands, there are only two mash recipes: wheated and unwheated. In other words, Eagle Rare, standard BT, Elmer Lee, Blanton's et al. are all the same at one day old. Sampling by expert tasters determines how each barrel is labeled after spending time in the rickhouse. I also can't find Buffalo Trace products at local liquor stores. I guess shipping the product to New York or Japan at higher price points makes more economic sense.

I've bought some of the XO in Cognac and Reserve in Crown Royal and it gets up there. 18 year old Crown is fantastic but it's like anything else; gets better with time.
My aunt gave me a bottle of Seagrams Crown Royal that still had the tax stamp tape over the lid; it was bottled in 1965 and sat in the bottom of her liquor cabinet all that time. I cracked it open when my son was born 43 years later. Still the best whisky I’ve ever had!

When I toured the Buffalo Trace distillery several years ago, the guide whispered to me that despite the 10 or so Buffalo Trace brands, there are only two mash recipes: wheated and unwheated. In other words, Eagle Rare, standard BT, Elmer Lee, Blanton's et al. are all the same at one day old. Sampling by expert tasters determines how each barrel is labeled after spending time in the rickhouse. I also can't find Buffalo Trace products at local liquor stores. I guess shipping the product to New York or Japan at higher price points makes more economic sense.
Most distilleries are like that, with only 1-2 recipes. The various brands come out because of differences in aging time, warehouse location (sunny side, low or high floors), how warm the summer was & how cold the winter was, etc etc. The single barrel stuff like Blanton’s are the tougher ones to keep the correct taste profile; all the blends or small batches can easily mix in a wider variety of barrels.

Thanks to my job I’ve gotten to spend an awful lot of time with most of the “old money” distilleries in KY, and while I understand the hows and the whys, it’s still a magic skill.

New gas station at the paved Rd near my house opened about 6 months ago. Who buys this? Especially out here in no man's land.
Are there cameras in the store? If not, the first time he is robbed, that bottle will be on his shelf at home, if not taken.

I believe they have three mash builds, which includes their wheated build. Mash bill 1 has less rye. Mash bill 2 is a big rye...not a fan, and that build houses their famous Blantons.

Wild Turkey has only one mash build, and it’s excellent. IMO. Truth is, it’s the age of the bourbon that can change the flavor profile a bit, along with the proof. They can water down the proof, changing the characteristics of it too. That’s why a company like Wild Turkey can have so many different bourbons hit the shelf...Wild Turkey 101, regular Wild Turkey (watered down). Russels reserve 10 year, Russels Barell proof, Rare Bread, so and so on. All the same ^^^, yet all different. Some distinguishable different.

Last edited:
I knew a gal who kept an odd service tray which featured two glasses, an ice bucket which had never been used and a decanter filled with turned brandy. Apparently the nursing honor student didn't get the concept of oxidation. When I told her the booze had turned into paint remover, she wouldn't believe me......until she asked a food prep friend. Then the space wasting tray vanished.

A person in a one room apartment dedicating all that space to a display of crystal, is image driven.
And if you store it in lead crystal (high quality crystal is 25 - 35% lead) the lead slowly leaches into the brandy. That's not good either.

My aunt gave me a bottle of Seagrams Crown Royal that still had the tax stamp tape over the lid; it was bottled in 1965 and sat in the bottom of her liquor cabinet all that time. I cracked it open when my son was born 43 years later. Still the best whisky I’ve ever had!
Something like that happened to me too. A patient decided he shouldn't drink anymore. So he gave me several bottles of his old stock of Crown Royal whiskey - each bottle having very old date stamp tape.

We don't drink much whiskey so whenever one of our neighbours came over, we'd serve him a drink from one of those old bottles. He always oohed and awed over the old date stamps. Over many years he drank all of it. I saved one of those old empty bottles and when we moved I gave him a carefully wrapped gift - one of those old but now empty bottles. Followed a few minutes later with a bottle of the modern stuff. He enjoyed the joke and went home with a big smile.

$8000 😳. Man I like me an alcoholic drink every now and again but I’m not paying anywhere near that for one haha. Maybe $15-$30 tops for a bottle like that lol 😂. I have no idea what it goes for these days but you’d have to get a loan just to get that.
You said it! When I drank..... much too much too often. I was never to be found with out a bottle of Wild Turkey 101.

I believe they have three mash builds, which includes their wheated build. Mash bill 1 has less rye. Mash bill 2 is a big rye...not a fan, and that build houses their famous Blantons.

Wild Turkey has only one mash build, and it’s excellent. IMO. Truth is, it’s the age of the bourbon that can change the flavor profile a bit, along with the proof. They can water down the proof, changing the characteristics of it too. That’s why a company like Wild Turkey can have so many different bourbons hit the shelf...Wild Turkey 101, regular Wild Turkey (watered down). Russels reserve 10 year, Russels Barell proof, Rare Bread, so and so on. All the same ^^^, yet all different. Some distinguishable different.
It must have been 12-15 years ago (or more) that we toured the BT distillery. We also toured Woodford Reserve the same day. The latter is quite a quaint, picturesque place. I also recall the BT tour guide saying that former master distiller Elmer Lee, then in his 90s, would drop by every so often to select barrels for his namesake brand. My stiff-drink days are behind me, but I do tell people that if they can't find the higher-end Buffalo Trace brands, seek out Willett's offerings.

$1,900.00 can of Coke!

I drank some of that garbage. They could not go back to the classic fast enough!

$8000 bottle of booze ... one thing the gas station robbers will go for when seen perched high above in plain sight, lol.

I believe the turnout of "New Coke" was an engineered 6 months. It was so foul the old recipe was resumed with a ton of gentle publicity.

It was as if the world cared about it.

I heard Coke's percent of the market was boosted from ca. 18% to 23%

I believe the turnout of "New Coke" was an engineered 6 months. It was so foul the old recipe was resumed with a ton of gentle publicity.

It was as if the world cared about it.

I heard Coke's percent of the market was boosted from ca. 18% to 23%
yeah, I recall it was big deal at the time and I am certain some Coke managers found work elsewhere ......
Growing up we were spoiled with Coca Cola, my cajun grandmother had cases of Coke delivered in little hard glass 6oz bottles carried in wooden cases. Yup, they made home deliveries like a lot of other food n beverage companies back then (the '60s).

It must have been 12-15 years ago (or more) that we toured the BT distillery. We also toured Woodford Reserve the same day. The latter is quite a quaint, picturesque place. I also recall the BT tour guide saying that former master distiller Elmer Lee, then in his 90s, would drop by every so often to select barrels for his namesake brand. My stiff-drink days are behind me, but I do tell people that if they can't find the higher-end Buffalo Trace brands, seek out Willett's offerings.
I haven’t been to Kentucky for a tour, but it’s something I plan on doing soon. Woodford is readily available, and reasonably priced. My stiff drink days are limited to Friday and Saturday nights...maybe 3-4. That’s about it. Well, I might have one during a Sunday if I’m watching football. 🤣 Which might happen tomorrow. Willet has the coolest bottle I’ve seen, but I haven’t heard anything good about their offerings unless it’s their high end stuff. I might buy a bottle just because I love that bottle so much, and when I’m done with it I’ll pour something else into it.

I haven’t been to Kentucky for a tour, but it’s something I plan on doing soon. Woodford is readily available, and reasonably priced. My stiff drink days are limited to Friday and Saturday nights...maybe 3-4. That’s about it. Well, I might have one during a Sunday if I’m watching football. 🤣 Which might happen tomorrow. Willet has the coolest bottle I’ve seen, but I haven’t heard anything good about their offerings unless it’s their high end stuff. I might buy a bottle just because I love that bottle so much, and when I’m done with it I’ll pour something else into it.
I think you're talking about the Willett Pot Still bottle with the long neck. It's an excellent (but not cheap) whiskey, as is Willett's Rye. Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill and Pure Kentucky are also worth purchasing. (I never tried Willett's lower-priced brands.) I read that the Pure Kentucky name was chosen to attract buyers in Europe. Last time I was at my local Kroger liquor store, bottles of Pot Still and Willett's Rye were in the $70 range, while Pure Kentucky was about $40. Interestingly, Buffalo Trace bourbons have been unavailable at that store for several years now.

Back